New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Nikon D4 vs. D3s color accuracy/skin tones

allstarimaging
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D4 vs. D3s color accuracy/skin tones

Jack, if you're still following this thread, here's an interesting comparison from Rob Galbraith regarding the D3s and D4:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-12721-12406

Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for that link good info.
Jack

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:15 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D4 vs. D3s color accuracy/skin tones

I shoot RAW at ISO 6400 in stage light that various throughout the performance. As such I am always into ACR and later PS to "develop" the image to my taste and the circumstances of the image. I don't do global batch processing because the lighting tech is alway changing the light level/colors and if not my dancers move from one area to another. As to AWB the light is often so orange that setting the camera to 2500K and/or adjusting ACR from default to 2200K is still too warm.

I changed from Canon to Nikon and really haven't found any, substantial, difference in the final product once adjusted, as above, to my taste. It appears each brand has enough adjustment range to achieve Good results (unless some crazy kind of light). So, it seems to me, these comments are upon the JPEG processing, and to a lesser extent RAW, defaults of files just out of camera. The greater frustration is that even the best inkjet printer can't print red -only orange close to red.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:52 PM
AndreasE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D4 vs. D3s color accuracy/skin tones

Mescalamba wrote:
Its possible to negate some of these "problems" by making color profiles..

You aren't assessing the color capabilities of individual cameras, but rather enjoy the differences in the way some software developers did their custom color profiles.

The only way to assert the color "personality" of a camera is either
a) viewing the JPEGs OOC
b) with the RAW software converter of the manufacturer
c) deeper analysis of the spectral distribution of the RGB filter

All other "methods" with profiles and 3rd party software display of course different colors and the like, but it is independent of the underlying camera and display the assumption and preferences of the respective company or person shipping this "profile".

regards,
Andy

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.