Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       end

Archive 2013 · Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

thw2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

alundeb wrote:
The sample crops from TDP suggest that the performance at 50 mm (center of image) is worse than all other zoom lenses, including cheap ones, and that it does not improve substantially by stopping down, and that the copy variation is significant.

Indeed. Even when stopped down to f/8, performance of 24-70 f/4 lens at 50 mm remains poor, BOTH at the center and in the corners. Now, that is disturbing. If the lens performs well at 50 mm when stopped down, I will have no problem with it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:24 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.10 #2 · Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

gdanmitchell wrote:
Not sure if you are referring to my post or to something else, but since I responded a bit negatively to the new "bad at 50mm" business I'll reply a bit.

The familiar "you haven't used the lens" criticism is useful as far as it goes, but at this point few of us have extensively used all three of the current 24mm-(more than 24mm) Canon L options. I have not used it yet, and I don't think I made any claims to have concrete personal experience with the 24-70mm f/4. I think I kept my comments in the realm of things
...Show more

My post was referring to yours among others.

My question is simply, on what basis are you ignoring one side of conflicting information from different credible sources? Mind you, that as far as I know, Roger Cicala has only made measurements at f/4, and he has only presented and commented about numbers, not visual comparisons.

Or are you saying that this is "above decent" performance for a 50 mm lens at f/8?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=823&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=2&API=3&LensComp=116&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=2&APIComp=3

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:56 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #3 · Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

Ok went out in the cold for you guys and took some shots comparing the 24-70 f4 IS at 50 mm (the supposed weak spot) against the 50 1.4. Shooting both at 4.0 they are pretty much what you would expect. Centers are close but the prime is far ahead on the corners (as it should be since it it stopped down quite a bit). At f8 the differences were harder to detect. I am not going to post a blind comparison. The pbase link will show you the 24-70 f4 at f8 compared to the 50 1.4 at f8. I see very little real world differnce and would have no issues with shooting this lens at this focal length. Yea there could be sample variation...bla bla bla but I think I have a good copy of the 50 1.4 and and pleased with the 24-70 f4. Take a look and decide. These are full rez jpegs converted from raw files in DPP. The camera settiings were what I usuallly use. Neutral color, sharpness 4, contrast and saturation at +1. Link below:

http://www.pbase.com/twistedlim/test2470

**PS I have now added the f4 shots from both lens.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:33 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.10 #4 · Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

alundeb wrote:
My post was referring to yours among others.

My question is simply, on what basis are you ignoring one side of conflicting information from different credible sources?...

Or are you saying that this is "above decent" performance for a 50 mm lens at f/8?

Your "question" is an odd one. It reminds me a bit of the famous question: "Is it true that you are no longer beating your wife?" You begin with a presumption that I'm ignoring something willfully and that I have a basis for doing so. But the fundamental question is a non sequitur that doesn't logically follow anything I wrote about.

My post said what my post said. I'm not "ignoring" anything and I'm not specifically characterizing the performance for this lens at f/8 and 50mm in any specific way. Precisely contrary to that, I am urging a bit of caution and reflection before others jump to rather negative and quite possibly overblown conclusions about this lens.

I'm confused as to how or why you interpreted my post in these ways.

Take care,

Dan

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alundeb
• • • •
p.10 #5 · Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

gdanmitchell wrote:
I am urging a bit of caution and reflection before others jump to rather negative and quite possibly overblown conclusions about this lens.

Similarly, I am urging a bit of caution before characterizations like "sillyness" are thrown out when someone is questioning the performance of a new lens after some bad reports have arrived.

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.10 #6 · Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

alundeb wrote:
Similarly, I am urging a bit of caution before characterizations like "sillyness" are thrown out when someone is questioning the performance of a new lens after some bad reports have arrived.

Aside from my word choice, then perhaps we are more or less on the same page when it comes to caution about snap judgments regarding this lens? ;-)

Dan

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.10 #7 · Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

twistedlim wrote:
Ok went out in the cold for you guys and took some shots comparing the 24-70 f4 IS at 50 mm (the supposed weak spot) against the 50 1.4. Shooting both at 4.0 they are pretty much what you would expect. Centers are close but the prime is far ahead on the corners (as it should be since it it stopped down quite a bit). At f8 the differences were harder to detect

Thanks. Very much appreciated.

At f8, your 50 f/1.4 appears sharp on the extreme left corner and soft on the extreme right corner while your 24-70 f/4 exhibits the opposite behavior. Both are the same at the center.

It's disturbing the 24-70 f/4 is showing such wild copy to copy variation.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.10 #8 · Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

I am really happy with the new 24-70. Hopefully it will be in my bag more than the old 2.8. I hardly shoot zooms anymore but then again I do not shoot events anymore either. I am just shooting for the fun of it now.
Funny when I look at them I see the opposite. In any case I tried to get bricks in across the frame. Bricks can really get mushy on a soft lens. Both of these at F8 are more than acceptable and better than any 17-40 or 24-105 I have shot.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password