Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Any suggestions for a second body?

jspytek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any suggestions for a second body?

I currently shoot a Nikon D7000 and have a telephoto and a wide angle lens - I'm thinking about getting a second body - I shoot mainly sports - any thoughts on which one may hold its value and complement my current inventory?

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:45 PM
Patrick Lanius
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any suggestions for a second body?

jspytek wrote:
any thoughts on which one may hold its value

No brand N or brand C camera body will hold their value when purchased new. If you desire to not take a (major) beating on a camera body, you should look at a used body that's already lost most of its value before you purchase it. Example - D2x cameras have held fairly steady in price for the last few years. Used D3 bodies have fallen into the $2k+ range now. I think they may fall a bit more still - but I think they are a great value now. These were $5k when new. They are excellent sports cameras. If you don't need video, you can't beat a used D3 for value today.

And welcome to FMSC.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:34 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any suggestions for a second body?

jspytek wrote:
I currently shoot a Nikon D7000 ...

How about a first body, then?

Sorry, I couldn't resist, but for most people who shoot 2 bodies, the D7000 would be a nice 2nd body. How about picking up a used D7000 as your second? Some great deals out there, and the best way to think about shooting two bodies, IMO, is side-by-side, rather than primary vs. secondary/backup. Having 2 of the same will also avoid the momentary adjustment due to small differences in the user interface. YMMV.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:49 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any suggestions for a second body?

eNoBlog wrote:
How about a first body, then?

Sorry, I couldn't resist, but for most people who shoot 2 bodies, the D7000 would be a nice 2nd body. How about picking up a used D7000 as your second? Some great deals out there, and the best way to think about shooting two bodies, IMO, is side-by-side, rather than primary vs. secondary/backup. Having 2 of the same will also avoid the momentary adjustment due to small differences in the user interface. YMMV.

+1. A number of high shutter count D3's are being sold here for around $1100, that's the price of a new D7000 a few months ago!

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:08 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any suggestions for a second body?

jspytek wrote:
I currently shoot a Nikon D7000 and have a telephoto and a wide angle lens - I'm thinking about getting a second body - I shoot mainly sports - any thoughts on which one may hold its value and complement my current inventory?

If you can swing it, you can find nice used D3 for under $2000. A D3 is a dream for sports.

I picked up a nice one and all I can say is, Awesome!

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:42 AM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any suggestions for a second body?

I've run dual D7000's the last year and a half, it's been a dream honestly, especially for the price they're going right now (I think I saw one for like $685 that was practically new on B/S). I went from shooting a D7000, then D7000 with D90 because I wanted a second body, back to just a D7000 because editing was just quicker with every file type the same, to now dual D7000's. It's been great, and it won't break the bank.

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:54 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any suggestions for a second body?

monkey

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:09 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any suggestions for a second body?

boshek wrote:
monkey

Say what?

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:19 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any suggestions for a second body?

jspytek wrote:

My ears were burnin'

OP: welcome to FM. Sports, eh?! I'd jump on a nice D3 or D700 w/grip for that 120-300 f2.8 of yours.
You won't believe the results with that marvelous AF, the 9/8 fps, and some very fat pixels

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:35 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any suggestions for a second body?

davidnholtjr wrote:
Say what?

I was waking the monkey up!!!!

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:32 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any suggestions for a second body?

Thanks, Mike! Always glad to help.

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:37 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any suggestions for a second body?

I picked up one of those higher shutter count D3's too, and I'd say that's the way to go if you can find one still there

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:32 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any suggestions for a second body?

boshek wrote:
I was waking the monkey up!!!!

Jan 05, 2013 at 12:05 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any suggestions for a second body?

Just throwing this out there - D800 takes the same battery as the D7000 and would give you real WA performance with your wide angle lenses. I have a D800 and D7000 currently which works very well for me - ultimate detail, less DOF, amazing low light AF and performance, and wide shooting with the D800; faster fps, more reach, and reasonable file sizes with the D7000. And they both take SD cards.

But you do lose fps and may not need the extra mp for anything.

Jan 05, 2013 at 12:54 PM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any suggestions for a second body?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Thanks, Mike! Always glad to help.

I knew you would!!!

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:09 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any suggestions for a second body?

Thank ya'll very much for the input - I like the idea of shooting on the same body - but I will read up a bit more on the D3. I'm encourage that you guy like a camera which has been out for years but you can still recommend it.

So, maybe this is a discussion on a different tread - but is the majority of the difference in the two cameras D3 vs D7000 - full frame vs cropped frame? Any suggestions on where I can look to "see" the difference / improvement of going to a full frame?

Again thank you for the warm welcome - I'm looking forward to learning and getting better!

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:39 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any suggestions for a second body?

Please don't reply to my last D3 vs D7000 question - I'll check the Nikon forum (just reread all your posts and realized ok question just wrong forum).

J

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:46 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any suggestions for a second body?

workerdrone wrote:
Just throwing this out there - D800 takes the same battery as the D7000 and would give you real WA performance with your wide angle lenses. I have a D800 and D7000 currently which works very well for me - ultimate detail, less DOF, amazing low light AF and performance, and wide shooting with the D800; faster fps, more reach, and reasonable file sizes with the D7000. And they both take SD cards.

But you do lose fps and may not need the extra mp for anything.

That is my combo too......

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.