Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

eNoBlog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

Seems to defeat the purpose of getting a light camera, but 3rd party grips w/o battery don't add too much weight, where the Nikon will, and I'm not feeling like plunking $270+ USD for one.

Just placed a Zeikos on order for $59 (from Cameta on eBay) and if it works out, I'll get a second for my 2nd D600 body.

Has anyone tried Zeikos or other 3rd party grips for the D600? I've seen a few no-name grips out there, but was nervous about going with them.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:32 PM
etchen

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

Hi,

I've had the Zeikos and Meike third party grips for my D90 and D700 both worked and functioned great!

I own a genuine nikon one for my D7000 and the joystick button cracked on me - go figure!

I was recently looking for one for my D600 and decided to get a nikon grip only because i had a store credit at a local camera store. The MB-D14 feels excellent and solid. I'm sure the Zeikos is great too but lacks the same feel and durability.

all the best!

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:27 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

I had a Zeikos on my D700, it was Junk with a capital J. It started to turn off intermittently after only about 2 months of use so I literally tossed it in the trash. Since then I've learned my lesson.. don't put Walmart tires on a Ferrari

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:27 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

I had a Meike on my D7000 and it worked flawlessly. But I opted for the Nikon grip on my D600, mainly because none of the third party ones were on the market at that time. I do know that the Nikon grip has metal in it while the third party ones are all plastic.

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:32 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

Zeikos on D90 worked fine, some no name on D7000, worked fine. No complaints about either. Unsure what I'll do for my D600, but I simply cannot justify the extra $200 for the Nikon. I can break 4 of the cheap ones before I make up the difference, and so far I haven't been able to break any, even beating up on the gear in dusty sandy mountains for weeks at a time.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:53 PM
tjpenton
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

I had the nikon one but ordered a meike (since I had a great experience with one on my old d7000) anyways.

I returned the MB-D14 and used the store credit to put towards a lens. The meike is almost identical in feel. It looks different and smells terribly of rubber for the first week or so but I can live with that for a savings of $250.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:54 AM
rangefindr

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

To those of you that have tried them, do the command dials spin the right way?

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:50 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

rangefindr wrote:
To those of you that have tried them, do the command dials spin the right way?

That's another thing, the one I had on my D7000 was opposite of the camera. Not a real biggie, but just the same...

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:55 PM
aaronbor

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

Has anyone tried a grip made by PIXEL? I have seen them on eBay or the Internet and it appears of good quality. They go For $100. That is more than other third party grips, but maybe the quality is better?

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:18 PM
aaronbor

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

Here is the link to the Pixel d600 grip

http://www.pixelhk.com/pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=233

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

Picked up two versions of the grip. The Meike $60 and the Pixel $100

I got the Meike first but it just didn't feel right. So i ordered the Pixel and it felt better. I figured out why also. But its more of a personal preference i guess?

From the picture about. I'm stressing that the Pixel version has a flatter shutter release and the rear dial has a small cut in the plastic body that makes it "smaller" by a few MM that lets you get to the dial easier, the bump you see is just there so they could make this cut possible so your thumb doesn't slip off the grip when not on the dial. I have small hands so I can tell the difference.

With the Meike the shutter release is at a steeper angle so is increases the surface area between the back and the front of the grip. For me it strains my hand. Because the grip becomes "larger" despite them being almost the same overall physical size.

The Pixel has a better rear joystick. The rubber is a better also a little better IMO.

The Pixel It also has a better Tripod screw mount. They have a decent sized metal plate running along the bottom of the grip to attempt to distribute the load. While the Meike has a single small piece of metal. So while it might be dumb to keep the grip on for Tripod work, the current rage of the times are using Tripod screwed straps. The Pixel Might be up for the job. The Meike you might end up with a hole ripped through plastic. The Pixel at least put a little thought into it. That is where the Nikon would be still superior with the magnesium shell.

I can't comment on long term use if either will just fall apart.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:46 AM
sowega

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

I had a zeikos grip on my D90. Loved the ergonomic advantage but it was not long before it started giving me trouble.

It often decided both batteries were 'dead'. I could switch the batteries between the right and left position and then it would work fine, for a while....

Very annoying.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

Any more opinions on these grips? I'm bouncing between several choices, but don't know which to pick.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:04 AM
thr1961
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

I'm in the same boat and wondering what further experiences have been had. The Pixel is now at $100 on ebay and I have not read good things about the zeikos. I am leaning towards the Meike, but just can't be certain. Part of me says go Nikon, but that price....

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:04 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

I bought a DSTE grip with an en-el18 d4 battery clone for my d800, for $90. I haven't had it very long, but so far, I'm happy with it. There are a couple of older threads on this grip, within the last 2 weeks IIRC, if you want to read up on it.

The DSTE grip, without the big battery, is about $60. I realize that the Nikon grip is probably better, but there's just no way I'm paying $400 for a grip that I don't really need, especially when the alternatives seem to work okay, at of the price or less. I like the feel of the camera without the grip, but that battery is just incredible.

Kerry

Feb 14, 2013 at 05:53 PM
thr1961
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

Where did you buy the DSTE? I see a way to buy direct, but am not comfortable using their payment methods.

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

DSTE has a store on ebay, which is where I got my grip with the big d4 battery clone. If you don't want the big battery, they sell just the grip with battery trays. They also sell the big d4 battery clones, end piece and charger separate. It took about a week for shipping from Hong Kong to Detroit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180922360284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Kerry

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM
jcg295

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

just wanted to give everybody a heads up. I bought this DSTE grip from the DSTE store on EBay and received it within just over a week to New Jersey. While the finish fits the D 600 perfectly I must say that the fitment on the camera itself is not up to standard. When the grip is attached to the camera there is some forward and back movement when pulling from the front of the grip under the lens. When holding the camera up to light you could see light shining through indicating that the grip is not fully flush with the camera bottom. Again I love the finish of the grip itself. If it was sturdy it would be a keeper for sure....I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. The play when attached to the camera is unacceptable. I returned the grip and I'm now looking for an alternative.

Anyone reading this with a 3rd party grip with no play please chime in with the manufacturer name.

I've been eyeing the Pixel grip. Can anyone owning one give their opinion on fitment.

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:21 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

I ordered a grip advertised as Zeikos from ebay but received a different brand -it's labeled XIT or soemthing like that. Does the job, so I didn't send it back, given it was just $54.

Overall feel after having a Zeikos on my D7000 is and D90 before is a bit flimsier. Really don't like the overall flex in it when holding the camera with a bigger lens, but it does mount up flush. If I were to use heavy glass frequently, I'd probably go and get the Nikon metal grip, but I usaully don't, so I am going for the lower weight and deal with the occasional flex. I just need it as a glorified battery pack to use AA batteries when going places without power for longer periods of time, and for that it does the job.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Let's discuss D600 3rd party grips

Followup on the XIT grip (identical to Zeikos):

It works, feels somewhat flexy/loose when lifting a bigger lens/camera bundle on the grip, and I agree with the previous poster - in the longrun, this flexibility of a grip is unacceptable. It's supposed to be a grip, for crying out loud!

Mostly I am pretty disappointed with the gradual draining of my batteries (grip and body) when I keep it connected for a few days. Have to do a test and see if it has anything to do with the position of the on/off switch on the grip, but my guess is that it drains batteries in either position.

Anyone with other 3rd party grips not seeing these problems? I just can't stomach the price of the Nikon grip, since I don't use it very often. Now I won't even use it while hiking, because instead of allowing me to use AA batteries at resupply locations, it actually drains all my batteries before I get to resupply!

Apr 29, 2013 at 05:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password