Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Pros/cons for wide angle choices with my shooting style...

rotorwash4944
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pros/cons for wide angle choices with my shooting style...

I currently shoot with a Canon 60D. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 5D Mk III, and would like to cover the UWA range. I've read countless for/against postings on the 16-35mm f2.8 or 17-40mm f4.0 debate. I thought I'd describe my shooting here, and get some level-headed responses as to pros/cons. Hopefully someone will give a fresh point of view that will help me decide.

- I shoot night starscapes / time-lapse; and day landscapes now with my 60D and Tokina 11-16. f2.8.

- I write for an aviation magazine, and am trying to do more shooting for them, i.e. of aircraft & at conferences (inside).

- I've been using the 24-105 f4 L, and 70-200 f4 L for walk around/photojournalism.

- I've been increasing the amount of video I've been shooting.

- I am keeping the 60D.

Current thoughts:

- Buy the 16-35 and sell 11-16. (I lose the use of my 77mm Black Glass ND on this lens).
- Buy the 17-40 and keep the 11-16, using it as a 16mm prime on the 5D3 for astrophotography / night timelapse. (Current ND filter will fit 17-40).

I know. I know... "First world problems."
Thanks for any ideas.

-Frank

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:17 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pros/cons for wide angle choices with my shooting style...

If you don't need a fast (f/2.8) lens, then the 17-40L should do fine.

Just a thought, Bill

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pros/cons for wide angle choices with my shooting style...

I think the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 is the best all-round lens in the range, and definitely the best value for the money.

However, if you can afford the 16-35 f/2.8 L Mark II or the Zeiss 21mm, you may find they have a less chromatic aberration for night starscapes.

The Tokina has less barrel distortion (-1.27% at 20mm for example) for day landscapes. Less distortion is also a positive for video.

If you can afford it, consider the Zeiss 21 mm for night starscapes. However, it has moustache (third-order) distortion (harder to correct) and more of it (-1.72%).

I used Photozone (Tokina) and the-digital-picture.com (Tokina vs L Mark II) to gather data and make the comparisons between the 16-28, 16-35, and 21 mm.

I have never been impressed by the data on the 17-40 and not by my own results using it, so I didn't even consider it for purchase.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:45 PM
rotorwash4944
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pros/cons for wide angle choices with my shooting style...

WilliamFinley wrote:
If you don't need a fast (f/2.8) lens, then the 17-40L should do fine.

Just a thought, Bill

I guess my issue is whether or not I DO need the fast lens. For night starry skies, that is a definite YES.

For daytime / indoor walk around photojournalism... probably not (help with this one?)

But then again, If I sell off the 11-16mm, which is really for crop sensor, and essentially a prime on a 5D3, that makes the price of the 16-35 comparable to a 17-40 (albeit while losing a lens).

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pros/cons for wide angle choices with my shooting style...

You will have over a stop on the 5d3 so a 17-40L will be at least as good as the 11-16/2.8

But I think a 2.8 UWA would work better for you, and I normally recommend (and own the 17-40

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:37 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pros/cons for wide angle choices with my shooting style...

rotorwash4944 wrote:
I guess my issue is whether or not I DO need the fast lens.

Definitely. Emphasis on the work "need."

No easy decisions made in photography, Bill

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:29 PM
subjectochange
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pros/cons for wide angle choices with my shooting style...

Not to complicate your decision more, but if you don't mind using a prime, you might also consider the Canon 24/1.4 for your starscapes. It's has a two stop light advantage over the best zoom, and though it's a little soft at 1.4, it's definitely sharp by 1.8-2.0. That's a lot of extra light to be gained for long exposures without star trails. Given that a lot of people are selling their 24s for cheap in the B&S area, you can get it for less than a 16-35, and maybe you could still keep your 11-16, too. It also takes the same 77mm filter as your Tokina.

However, zooms have their place, and maybe you'd prefer general focal versatility over extra light. My two cents.

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password