Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Early California

Jeffrey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Early California

A door to the Covarubius Adobe, one of the oldest buildings in Santa Barbara, CA.

Ebony SV45U, Rodenstock 90mm, Delta 100 film.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:04 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Early California

How did you choose to crop where you did?
Douglas

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:10 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Early California

What makes you think this is cropped?

I cropped very little off the bottom simply to balance the amount of floor relative to the steps and door.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:48 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Early California

Jeffrey:
I was referring to why you chose to "crop" whether in-camera or in post, where you did. I was not being accusatory, I've seen other photos similarly done and have wondered what the photographer had in mind to frame the photos like this. That's all!
Douglas

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:50 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Early California

Jeffrey:
Perhaps a better question would be how did you choose to compose this photo as you did. I've seen similar photos and just thought I would enquire of the thought process behind it. That's all.
Douglas

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:06 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Early California

Thanks for your replies, Douglas. I studied the building and doors for a while before responding to my instinct of what was most important to me about the door and how I wanted to present it. I was not interested in simply a portrait of an entire door, and the chiseled steps were of great interest to me. By lowering my camera placement to about 20" off the floor I was able to maintain proper perspective of the verticals and emphasize the steps, while maintaining enough door to make it clear the steps lead to this wonderful very old carved door. The comp was very inviting, and somewhat mysterious to me, drawing the viewer in from the floor to the steps to the door and to wonder what may be beyond. A good image is more than making the viewer simply say 'what a cool door' but rather to make them think about the relationship of the elements in the scene and convey some feeling about it.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CDaescher
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Early California

Jeffrey, what a cool door.
Thank you for explaining and sharing your thoughts. Makes a lot of sense.
I like the low POV with the huge steps in front of the very interesting door.
And I love the light and processing.
Chris

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Tim ONeill
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Early California

Liking the lighting here Jeffrey. You really study your comps for a long time. This one rocks! Subtle doesn't always reward the shooter here in the forums. I do like it very much. Plus, it is in your backyard. Someday I expect some shots from Lotus Land. Apologies if you have already posted them

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Early California

Lots of interest in this Jeffrey, all the shapes and textures, even the different size bricks on either side of the door.

Cheers Ray

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Early California

Tim ONeill wrote:
Subtle doesn't always reward the shooter here in the forums.

Hi Tim, boy are you right! I recently had a 'rather subtle' post in this forum fly right by with no comments. Probably too artsy fartsy!

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:25 AM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Early California

Nice capture. The composition draws my interest. Moody scene.

Bill

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:30 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password