Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in...

Sunny Alan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

Hunting for a wide for enlarge prints.
What is major, deceive IQ diff. between these to series lenses?

Major need is sharpness: corner to corner and center !

Canon 24 TSE 1 is enough?

Thanks in advance,

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

The new version is much sharper across the entire frame, but particularly better the further you get from the center. The amount of color fringing has been dramatically reduced, almost to the level of insignificance. The old version had a noticeable but correctable dose of barrel distortion while the new one has none to speak of. The new version is has much better coatings and is far less prone to any sort of lens flare. The new version has much higher micro contrast, making the images seem even sharper than they are. And finally, on the new lens, you can rotate the axis between the tilt and shift function without taking the lens apart, which is actually a pretty big deal. Of course, the new version is double the price of the old one, but worth every penny, I think.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Cometsoft
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

I don't have the new one but from what I have read, Peter is spot on.

A couple of things to add, Ver 2 focuses much closer. Ver 1. is lighter and is all metal. Also Ver1 (at least my copy) is pretty sharp once you stop down.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

Totally agreed with Peter:
Improvements of 24 TSE II over version I
1. sharper, most notably better in the edges/corners. This becomes even more evident when shifting
2. Much, much less CA. Really low CA for a WA lens. See this review, test results Chromatic Aberation
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_24_3p5_tse_c10/
3. on a FF and full shift there will be a bit of vignetting, but this is normal on virtually any TS lens at 12mm shift. On the other hand, the distortion is exceedingly low.
4. Much better micro contrast, which makes it seem sharper.
5. Very low flare compared to the V1
6. The ability to rotate the tilt Vs shift axes independently while in the field is a really significant improvement that aids immensely in the lens usability.
The Canon 24 TSE f3.5 II lens is among Canon's finest optics.
Mike K

Edited on Jan 04, 2013 at 08:26 PM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Sunny Alan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

Thanks for the quick, learned advises.
I feel lucky joining this Forum, which is a treasure-trove of knowledge on photography by experienced and helpful souls. thanks....

Now I am in a dilemma to chose between a 24 TSE II and a Zeiss 25 f2 ZE, both pre-owned(cost).
Which is more suitable for sharper, true-color large image files of mostly landscapes to be enlarge printed on canvas upto 40 inches?
Thanks in advance...

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:09 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

Nothing against Zeiss lenses as they do make excellent lenses but recent Canon lenses are really superb and for landscape and architectural photography, the TS-E lens is the way to go.The Zeiss with its f/2.0 aperture seems to be more suitable for shooting under less than favorable light conditions but less so for landscape/architectural purposes. I used to have Contax Zeiss and Leica R lenses mostly to cover my wide angle needs about 7-8 years ago and now, I am using both Canon 17 and 24 TS-E lenses.

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

I am now using the TS-E 17/4L, Zeiss 18/3.5 ZE, and TS-E 24/3.5L II. I recently sold a Zeiss 21 ZE because since getting the TS-E 24/3.5L II and, more recently, the EF 24-70/2.8L II, I rarely use the 21 ZE; it's too close in focal length to 24mm and it's not as versatile as the TS-E and/or zoom. So, I sold the 21 ZE to help pay for a new TS-E 17/4L.

After a while, I realized that even though the TS-E 17/4L and 24/3.5L II are both fantastic lenses, they're just too big and heavy to go most places, most of the time. So, last month I picked up a Zeiss 18/3.5 ZE. It completes me. My preliminary tests show the 18 ZE is "as good as" the TS-E 17/4L; yet not nearly so versatile, of course. The 18 ZE is significantly lighter and smaller than the 17/4L, 21 ZE, and 24/3.5L II, despite its 82mm filter diameter. Overall, the 18 ZE is a great companion for my 24-70 II and 70-200 II. The 18 ZE doesn't replace the TS-E lenses, it complements them.

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Sunny Alan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

I found my niche is around 24mm for my enlarge printing purpose, and if needed I can crop little bit to make may be upto 35 mm.
As such I hunt for a TSE 24 used, but couldn't see anything reasonably priced.

As freelancer, I love UW shots too, but mostly for amateur-hobby purpose, for which I may buy a Tokina 17 f3.5 Pro below $400, which I read good, except soft at edges.

Still I think I didnt get a firm reply: If a Zeiss 25 f2 ZE or Canon 24 TS-E is BEST for my purpose ?

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

Sunny Alan wrote:
...Still I think I didnt get a firm reply: If a Zeiss 25 f2 ZE or Canon 24 TS-E is BEST for my purpose ?

Maybe that's because only you can determine what's best for you. You could start with the TS-E 24/3.5L, and later sell it for about the same price if it doesn't work for you. You'd be out shipping and maybe some fees, but it's a relatively cheap way to 'rent' a lens.

Check the Lens Price Database for current used prices, Lens$db, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

Sunny Alan wrote:
Still I think I didnt get a firm reply: If a Zeiss 25 f2 ZE or Canon 24 TS-E is BEST for my purpose ?

Nikon 12-24 and Novoflex adaptor.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

Sunny -- The Zeiss ZE 25/2 has considerable light fall-off on the edges and corners are soft (even closed down). For edge-to-edge sharpness and lack of edge aberrations, the 24 TS-E II is your best bet. The ZE 25/2 is by all accounts an outstanding lens and one of Zeiss's sharpest, but that image circle is just too small to cover the edges like the 24 TS-E.

Jim C -- That's an excellent survey of the UWA choices. I also sold my Zeiss ZE (helped pay for my 28-300L) as it was too close to the 24 TS-E II and lacked the Canon's features. I'm also going to be looking for a ZE 18/3.5. Maybe I am copying you! No, I just recognize you have a good eye for gear that suits your needs.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

Gunzorro wrote:
.... I'm also going to be looking for a ZE 18/3.5.

I'll let you know if I see something special. Chances are excellent that it won't be mine.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:45 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

jcolwell wrote:
I'll let you know if I see something special. Chances are excellent that it won't be mine.

Ha-ha! Are you saying that because you don't want to do business with my type, knowing what you now know?

I've had several opportunities to get the lens at a good price, but always passed due to other priorities.

How about posting some pictures and giving a mini review of yours?

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

Gunzorro wrote:
.... I'm also going to be looking for a ZE 18/3.5.

jcolwell wrote:

Gunzorro wrote:
Ha-ha! Are you saying that because you don't want to do business with my type, knowing what you now know?

Heck no! You're a most excellent and understanding buyer. One hunderd merit points on the FM zero-to-ten scale. I won't offer my 18 ZE to you, because it's not on the market (yet).

Gunzorro wrote:
How about posting some pictures and giving a mini review of yours?

Will do. Waiting for more low-wind, good-visibility conditions. That's not so common around here, this time of year.

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:18 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

Sunny Alan wrote:
Hunting for a wide for enlarge prints.
What is major, deceive IQ diff. between these to series lenses?

Major need is sharpness: corner to corner and center !

Canon 24 TSE 1 is enough?

Thanks in advance,

The MTF charts for the new one are MUCH better and everything I've heard from people who have had both has been that the Mark I was fairly disappointing but the Mark II is great.

I don't think you will get corner to corner on FF from the Mark I. I bet the upcoming Samyang will do much better.

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:20 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

Sunny Alan wrote:
I found my niche is around 24mm for my enlarge printing purpose, and if needed I can crop little bit to make may be upto 35 mm.
As such I hunt for a TSE 24 used, but couldn't see anything reasonably priced.

As freelancer, I love UW shots too, but mostly for amateur-hobby purpose, for which I may buy a Tokina 17 f3.5 Pro below $400, which I read good, except soft at edges.

well if T&S doesn't matter then there are good options, the two mentioned above, the zeiss 21mm, the canon 24 1.4 II, canon 24-70 II all deliver pretty well (for the deepest corners the zeiss and T&S II are probably the best bet, the others are great to the far edges and near to mid-corners)

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:22 PM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

jcolwell wrote:
The 18 ZE doesn't replace the TS-E lenses, it complements them.

Aahhh P@@P - I've been trying to avoid buying this lens since it first came out in the ZF series - but seriously, at 18mm and stopped down a few it's a very good super sharp Zeiss-ish landscape lens.

I haven't looked for a while but you used to be able to get the ZF at a good price. Thanks for reminding me Jim!

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

mMontag wrote:
Aahhh P@@P - I've been trying to avoid buying this lens since it first came out in the ZF series - but seriously, at 18mm and stopped down a few it's a very good super sharp Zeiss-ish landscape lens.

I haven't looked for a while but you used to be able to get the ZF at a good price. Thanks for reminding me Jim!

Sooorrry...

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Sunny Alan
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

"I haven't looked for a while but you used to be able to get the ZF at a good price. Thanks for reminding me Jim!
"

Wow...
I found myself in the middle of tycoons and big guns in photography !
Why dont somebody help me finding a sure quality Mk II @nominal price or even sell their piece which will be a charity counted in heaven ?
(Im running out of time, since my bro in Atlanta is leaving to India this 15th, who will carry this lens for me or else I stand to pay intl. shipping and import duty through the nose...)

Jan 05, 2013 at 03:10 AM
Sunny Alan
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Diff. between Canon 24mm TSE Version 1 vs MkII series in terms of IQ when enlarged above 36 inches,

A Contax Carl Zeiss Planar T* 25 mm f 2.8 @$425.00 is how good for me, please?

Jan 05, 2013 at 03:42 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password