Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Can't import 5D mark 3 files into LR4.3

marko1953
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Can't import 5D mark 3 files into LR4.3

I just got a new 5D mark 3 and have installed LR 4.3. I can't seem to get the photos to import either from the camera or from a card reader. The trouble is that sometimes a few photos appear in the import screen and sometimes they don't. I have managed to import a few photos but not all. I have tried changing the connection cord and 2 different types of card reader. I have MAC OS 10.6.8. This makes no sense as sometimes I can see the files and other times it says preview not avialable. Has anyone had similar issues? (I have been using LR3 with my old 5D for ages with never a problem).

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:05 AM
12monkeys
• •
p.1 #2 · Can't import 5D mark 3 files into LR4.3

I had horrible problems with this when I bought my 5D3 a few weeks ago. Importing jpgs into LR3 was hit and miss, mostly miss. I bought LR4, didn't help. Downloaded 4.3 nothing changed. Tried different cables and memory cards, still nothing. Bought an expensive Lexar USB 3.0 card reader, got better. Can now import jpgs and raw but nothing's automatic. This is on a Macbook Pro.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:19 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #3 · Can't import 5D mark 3 files into LR4.3

Looks like I have to copy from the card reader to my hard drive then Import into LR from there. It has worked a couple of times, fingers crossed. I have never seen LR just go to a blank grey screen like that before, very worrying.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Greggbhill
• •
p.1 #4 · Can't import 5D mark 3 files into LR4.3

just installed 4.3 the other day, I haven't tried .jpgs from 5D3, but i imported a few hundred 5D3 .CR2s from both my CF card and also hard disk - no problems.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Can't import 5D mark 3 files into LR4.3

I haven't had any issues getting 5D3 images into LR4.3. I usually copy the raw files onto a hard drive using Windows and a Lexar USB card reader, then import them into LR. I DID have to replace my Lexar USB 2.0 card reader with a new USB 3.0 card reader after I bought some Lexar 1000x CF cards. The old card reader would not read them reliably (confirmed by Lexar).

Art

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Rouse
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Can't import 5D mark 3 files into LR4.3

I can download into LR 4.3 from the camera, ext. HD"S, or my SanDisk cards plugged into usb 2.0 or USB 3.0. Works ok on my imac 2011 and my MacPro 2012. IMac on lion and MacPro on Mountain Lion.

Tom

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:14 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #7 · Can't import 5D mark 3 files into LR4.3

Thanks for the replies, I will just live with the 2 stage import. After Googling I found that some have had exactly the same problem as me with no explanation or resolution. As long as can import from my hard drive it is OK.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:32 AM
sailingpilot
• •
p.1 #8 · Can't import 5D mark 3 files into LR4.3

I recently got LR (4.2) because Aperture 2 wouldn't read the new 5D III files. Had to use DPP to convert the 5D III files to a TIFF, which Aperture would read. Cumbersome, and big files.

Toss up between going to AP v3 or trying LR 4; I went with LR 4 and have had no trouble with the 5D III files - they import straight into LR. I use an external USB card reader for CF, and the built-in SDHC card reader on the side of the iMac. (OS 10.6.8)

I also got Kelby's book for LR - I recommend it for those new to LR like I am. Starts you off from the bottom, and I found that LR wasn't so intuitive. Don't know if it will help you, but in his book he suggests making a folder within the 'Pictures' folder and calling it 'My Lightroom Photos' and pointing LR to that folder to store all your imports.

Gregg

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:01 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #9 · Can't import 5D mark 3 files into LR4.3

Thanks Gregg, looks like I am in the minority regarding import issues with LR4. I have been using other versions of LR for years and never had problems importing from 20D, 40D, 5Dc or 7D. I had a bent CF slot pin on my 5Dc which I fixed myself (amazingly) but never take that card out now have always imported directly into LR from the camera.
I love LR and couldn't do my weddings without it now.

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:37 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password