Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · A JPEG question..

Fishinfool
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · A JPEG question..

Been holding out for a mythical D400, but am getting tired of waiting. Right now my go to camera is my trusty D2Xs, with a D2H and a D200 as back up. While I get great results with these cameras under the right conditions, I have missed to many opportunities do to using long lenses combined with limited ISO capability. I need the higher ISO capability of a modern camera. I take advantage of RAW for critical shots, but most of my shooting is in JPEG.

So, my question is, What is the JPEG quality of the D600 and D800? I see a lot written about the RAW picture quality of these cameras, and the great post processing ability they offer, but not much about their JPEG engines for straight out of the camera use with minimal tweaking.

Larry

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:19 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · A JPEG question..

Larry, can't speak for the D600...but the Jpegs comin' outta my D800 are phenomenal.
100% crop SOOC. Peruse any of my threads...that's all I shoot, L/Fine SOOC

riversbendphotography

NIKON D800    300mm    f/5.0    1/2500s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

riversbendphotography

NIKON D800    175mm    f/2.8    1/800s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

riversbendphotography

NIKON D800    300mm    f/4.0    1/320s    1600 ISO    -0.3 EV  

riversbendphotography

100% from >100 yds SOOC

NIKON D800    300mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

riversbendphotography

NIKON D800    300mm    f/5.0    1/2500s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Edited on Jan 03, 2013 at 12:35 PM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:11 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #3 · A JPEG question..

In the 7 years I have used DSLRs had never shot JPEGs until the D600 -- they're pretty darn good. I dialed in a little tweak of the sharpness a saturation and that's about it. I have been very surprised and impressed by files right out of the camera -- I may reserve raw shooting for only the most difficult lighting.
Paul

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:19 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #4 · A JPEG question..

Don't listen to TM...he OBVIOUSLY doesn't know what he's talking about.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:49 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · A JPEG question..

the D800 jpegs are pretty amazing IMO. Been using it for a few weeks now and love it.

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:12 PM
Fishinfool
• •
p.1 #6 · A JPEG question..

Thanks for the responses guys. Been leaning towards a D800 for its better build, crop-ability, and good high ISO performance when using tele's in low light (lots of wildlife stuff in the deep woods) Probably replace my heavy 300 2.8 VR with a 300 4, a lot more hiking friendly lens. TM- your shots pretty much confirm what I was hoping about the d800's JPEG performance SOCC.

Larry

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · A JPEG question..

Agreed...the D800 jpegs are top notch.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:40 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · A JPEG question..

DTOB wrote:
Don't listen to TM...he OBVIOUSLY doesn't know what he's talking about.

He's also an alien, so all of his advice and shots are useless...

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:46 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · A JPEG question..

I shot jpegs for a couple of weeks before LR updated to take D600 files. The jpegs are alright, but the info contained in the raw files are way to impressive NOT to use. No offense, but I can't imagine having a new DSLR with the outstanding sensors that come with them, and shoot jpegs. To my mind, the only occasion I could even think using jpegs would be appropriate would be a photo journalist, that needs to get the image as quickly as possible to the editor. Or perhaps someone who's making and selling prints on the spot.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Danner
• •
p.1 #10 · A JPEG question..

I'm a new D800 owner (upgraded from D700). Thus far, I am so pleased with the JPEG performance, I'm not even capturing NEF files. I may change my mind on this. Also, the D800 auto white balance is pretty darn good.

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:29 PM
Dwight3

p.1 #11 · A JPEG question..

I used to shoot jpg only because it was easy. Then after a couple of times when I forgot to return a setting to normal I started shooting RAW+jpg. Best of both worlds. Memory is relatively cheap (compared to a shot that you need, but as a jpg it requires too much PP). So I wouldn't advise jpg only unless you're really rigorous about keeping your settings in line.

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:41 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password