Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

edl415
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

Zebrabot wrote:
Ditch the nagging wife. That's the only problem.

+1

She goes shopping, right? So you should be able to buy what you want when you want it. Nothing complicated about that.

Or, invest in some gaffer tape, and cover up all the logos on your cameras. You always have two cameras? That's fine. Just keep the third one out of sight. They all look the same to them.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:54 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

edl415 wrote:
+1

She goes shopping, right? So you should be able to buy what you want when you want it. Nothing complicated about that.

Or, invest in some gaffer tape, and cover up all the logos on your cameras. You always have two cameras? That's fine. Just keep the third one out of sight. They all look the same to them.

It sounds like a good idea. Keeping the third camera out of sight. I may look into that.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:02 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

The trick is to have so many cameras and lenses that adding 1 or 5 down the road goes unnoticed.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:10 PM
phlegmon
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

edl415 wrote:

Ain't that the truth.

Whenever I buy new gear, my fiance never notices until I tell her. I should learn to hide my excitement better.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:54 PM
edl415
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

okafoja wrote:
It sounds like a good idea. Keeping the third camera out of sight. I may look into that.

You can leave that third camera at my house. Can it be the D800?

I would leave the third body in your car or garage. As long as it's locked up there shouldn't be too much concern over theft.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:34 PM
edl415
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

phlegmon wrote:
Whenever I buy new gear, my fiance never notices until I tell her. I should learn to hide my excitement better.

Quick tip - keep your finances seperated. Then you don't have to do the monthly credit card review, also known as "you spent how much on what?" As they say, ignorance is bliss.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:37 PM
Jonathan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

Quick tip - keep your finances seperated. Then you don't have to do the monthly credit card review, also known as "you spent how much on what?" As they say, ignorance is bliss.

That's sound advice. I have a separate account for gear. My wife could never keep up with it if she tried and she never pays any attention whether I'm pointing a 35mm or a 300mm.

Most guys here would tell you that a little "covert operation" is sometimes good for keeping peace.

Great photos btw.

The D600 is new technology. Hang on to it. It's a great camera.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

I'll dissent: IMHO the best possible marriage is one where there is transparency and trust. Lying and hiding stuff, even by omission and even if it's just "gear", is IMHO powerfully self-destructive to the family and to one's own credibility. After all, if I'm willing to hide thousands of dollars in purchases from her, why would she trust that I'm not also hiding an extramarital affair?

My wife and I set overall annual budgets for everything together, including a discretionary account for each of us to do with as we please. That way, we can be sure that as a couple we are meeting our goals for savings, investment, debt reduction, and so on... and neither one of us so much as blinks when the other pulls out something new and shiny. On the contrary, she's delighted when I show up with a new camera or lens. And I get Christmas presents like my Nikon 1 V1 kit a couple of weeks ago.

Trust and honesty are too critical to sacrifice, even a little tiny bit, for any reason.

Edited on Jan 03, 2013 at 02:59 PM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:56 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

BenV wrote:
im confused already

I am too.

Anyway. Great photos okafoja.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

edl415 wrote:
+1

Or use the gaffer tape to stop the noise

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:20 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

Well put, Rodolfo. Very well put.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:09 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

Zebrabot wrote:
Ditch the nagging wife. That's the only problem.

This was my thought also after reading all that. Just 86 her. She seems to be the common denominator here.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Pilgrimatic
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

"...IMHO the best possible marriage is one where there is transparency and trust. Lying and hiding stuff, even by omission and even if it's just "gear", is IMHO powerfully self-destructive to the family and to one's own credibility."

Thanks. That needed to be said.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:35 PM
static808
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

awesome words rodolfo.

i am one of the lucky few who has a wife that completely supports my hobbies 100%. as long as i keep awesome pictures coming her way, i get to keep my free reign over photo purchases. oddly enough, the last lens i bought was over 1.5 years ago. i really should take more advantage of my privileges!!

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:35 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

I guess since I'm not married, I don't understand how someone else can control my finances. I work for my money, I spend my money how I see fit.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:24 PM
traylorc
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

Can we get back to talking about photography?

Please...enough of the "Dr. Phil" marriage counseling session.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:33 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

BenV wrote:
I guess since I'm not married, I don't understand how someone else can control my finances. I work for my money, I spend my money how I see fit.

Wait until you get married. Suddenly you will realize is not just your money any longer. I don't mind my wife checking on me on how I spend money. Sometimes I do go crazy.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

traylorc wrote:
Can we get back to talking about photography?

Please...enough of the "Dr. Phil" marriage counseling session.

This thread is both about the OP's gear choices and the effect of those on his marriage. I find it interesting that you object to positive advice, but have nothing to offer those who suggest he "deep-six the wife". How sad.

I wish you the best of luck, and may time and experience bring you wisdom before your current views cause you pain.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:30 PM
pdp123
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

Hmmm... several thoughts. Keeping the D700 would have been a fine thing to do considering you shoot weddings. Also my thoughts on your wife not being happy about the purchases... Clearly honesty is the best policy. And instead of selling your D700 you should have taken the time to explain that you make money with these tools (assuming you do) so it's not like spending money on a hobby. your spending money on tools that allow you to make more money. It's an investment. Not an expense. There's a difference.

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:15 AM
traylorc
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What a dumb ass. Talking about myself.

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
This thread is both about the OP's gear choices and the effect of those on his marriage. I find it interesting that you object to positive advice, but have nothing to offer those who suggest he "deep-six the wife". How sad.

I wish you the best of luck, and may time and experience bring you wisdom before your current views cause you pain.

You want to know why I did not over react to the comments to "deep six the wife". Routinely when you have a thread like this where the topic of someone's marriage is mentioned, there will be sarcastic comments regarding the wife. I give my forum members the benefit of the doubt they are not seriously advocating doing something malicious to the OPs wife.

Second, I do not know the OP....I do not know his wife...I do not have any information about his marriage. Therefore, I am not in an informed position to judge or make any assessment of the OPs marriage. No offense to anyone....but I visit the forum for the photography information. If I want advice on marriage, finances, etc....I will talk to my friends or family.

I find it interesting that you evidently assumed my Dr. Phil comment was only directed at anyone attempting to give positive advice. In actuality, I was making a sarcastic comment regarding all commentary on how the OP should handle his finances or his marriage.

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:42 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.