p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Walk to Justice-1st post

First post, so Hello from Missouri.
Greg

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Walk to Justice-1st post

Very nice structure and lighting, but the convergence is killing this one.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:00 PM
eltano
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Walk to Justice-1st post

Jeffrey, I seen that to some of my pics as well, so, how do you fix that?

RXgolf, I like the pic a lot, but I have the same issue when taking pics like this one and I was wondering if there is a way to correct then.

Best regards

Eltano

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:32 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Walk to Justice-1st post

eltano wrote:
Jeffrey, I seen that to some of my pics as well, so, how do you fix that?

RXgolf, I like the pic a lot, but I have the same issue when taking pics like this one and I was wondering if there is a way to correct then.

Best regards

Eltano

That is the reason it was my first post, looking for help. I hope we both can find the answer!
Greg

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:29 PM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Walk to Justice-1st post

This is from a camera angle that looks up at the subject, tilting the perspective view. Making sure your camera is level will correct this. Of course if you level the camera you will crop the top of the building……There are basically three ways to fix/avoid this:

1. If possible move back far enough that you can get the whole building in frame while camera is level. This will probably require you to crop the image to achieve the frame you want.

2. Use perspective correction in your image editing software (this will also require cropping of the image, so leave some room around the building to allow for this.)

3. Use the shift function of a tilt/shift lens, this still requires the camera to be level.

This effect can be used to create a pleasing and dramatic image, it is not always bad. With a little editing I think you would have a nice image here…..It looks like you have the camera nearly level horizontally so if you would crop this image right above the white line in the parking lot (the curve of the line really throws your image out of whack), or maybe at the bottom of the sidewalk after getting the image perfectly level horizontally. I believe it would look much better.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:02 AM
mhilbush
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Walk to Justice-1st post

Nice capture.

But, I find the bright street light in the center of the frame a bit distracting. Maybe the brightness of the light could be toned down a bit in post.

I also agree with the above comments on the perspective. From the EXIF data, it looks like you use Lightroom. In Lightroom, you would make the adjustments in the Lens Corrections panel. In the Lens Correction panel, click on "Manual", then try adjusting the "Vertical" slider. It appears you have some room on the side to do this, although the spire at the top might get cropped a bit...

Mark

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:00 AM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Walk to Justice-1st post

Bruce and Mark, thank you SO much. You have really given me advice that I feel will help, and I appreciate you both taking your time to help a rookie in this area! I have wondered what the big advantage of the 24mm TS II is, and I think I finally understand how that function could help in a bunch of landscape and architecture situations.
Again, I appreciate your help and I will look at things a bit differently now!
Greg

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:34 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Walk to Justice-1st post

I love the color Greg. welcome to FM

Morris

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:35 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Walk to Justice-1st post

mhilbush wrote:
Nice capture.

But, I find the bright street light in the center of the frame a bit distracting. Maybe the brightness of the light could be toned down a bit in post.

I also agree with the above comments on the perspective. From the EXIF data, it looks like you use Lightroom. In Lightroom, you would make the adjustments in the Lens Corrections panel. In the Lens Correction panel, click on "Manual", then try adjusting the "Vertical" slider. It appears you have some room on the side to do this, although the spire at the top might get cropped a bit...

Mark

First try with Lens correction vertical slider.
Thanks for trying to help me!
Greg

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:19 AM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Walk to Justice-1st post

morris wrote:
I love the color Greg. welcome to FM

Morris

Hello Morris and Thank You...so much to learn :-))
Greg

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:20 AM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Walk to Justice-1st post

Greg, your edit is much improved.

rxgolf wrote:
I have wondered what the big advantage of the 24mm TS II is, and I think I finally understand how that function could help in a bunch of landscape and architecture situations.

I have the TS-E 17 and TS-E 24 II………with the near zero distortion, sharp across the frame, and the shift function it does feel like I’m cheating compared to using standard lenses.

If you think you are interested in the TS-E’s I would recommend renting one or both before you spend the bucks…….being manual focus is a problem for some and it takes some practice getting used to the tilt/shift functions.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Walk to Justice-1st post

Great improvement, Greg. Bruce had all the right suggestions. Convergence is a huge problem with slr imaging of architecture. Pros use view cameras (as do I) and I also use the 17mm ts-e. Sometimes it's good to get up on the roof of your car, if possible. But most will use perspective control (or distort in the edit menu of PS) and you got the hang of it I see. I would crop some of the left (errant tree) and right to match and center the structure.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:07 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.