1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

sgtbueno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

Ian Ivey wrote:
That's a truly horrible bit of advice. It's reasonable to "have fun" while working on a hobby, but it's outrageous to give that advice to a photographer responsible for someone's wedding photos, paid or not. Fortunately, I get the sense the OP is taking the challenge seriously and doing what he can to prepare.

It is not horrible, my comment is based on his work on his website, he know photography, she just need the opportunity to do a wedding and she got one. She also with be there with her uncle, a photographer for more than 8 years, so yes, she is ready to do it and the best way to do it is having fun, be creative and enjoying the day.

Edited on Jan 07, 2013 at 10:47 AM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:57 PM
micla

p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

smukshots wrote:
Thanks for the useful tips!!!

What is your average time spent on per group portrait
(I have under a hour for portrait time and the bride really wants group photos)

My breakout for the 1 1/2 is usually something like this:
- 45 minutes for bride and groom alone
- 30 minutes for bridal party
- 15 minutes for family portraits

For family portraits I really try to get through these as quick as possible, as everyone involved in the portraits is being held up at this time. Most of the time, they just want to get to the cocktail hour as soon as possible.

When I first chat with a bride and groom (before booking), I discuss this, so that I set expectations for them. I will constantly remind them about the 1 1/2 so that they make sure to allocate enough time for it when planning the rest of their wedding.

For family portraits, I have the second shooter (or another eager family member/friend of B&G) run through the list of people for portraits. I am not super creative here, but I take enough so that everyone's eyes are open and in focus. If all the people involved in these portraits are close by, this shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, even with 15-20 family shots.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:59 AM
That Photog
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

The group/family pictures always take longer than expected. No matter how good you are, grandpa has run off, aunt is in the bathroom and ring bearer won't smile. I tell everyone to have a list and a distant relative on hand to queue everyone up. Almost no one does and then they wonder why it takes so long and I know there have been some missed family pictures because of the bride be unprepared. Us photographers cannot know the family well enough to say, "oh don't you want a picture with your step mom, great uncle and second cousin?".

Jan 09, 2013 at 09:19 AM
misty23
• •
[X]
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

sgtbueno wrote:
It is not horrible, my comment is based on his work on his website, he know photography, she just need the opportunity to do a wedding and she got one. She also with be there with her uncle, a photographer for more than 8 years, so yes, she is ready to do it and the best way to do it is having fun, be creative and enjoying the day.

' the only thing you need to remember is to have fun while you at it".....that's the only thing ? Just have fun ? No wonder everyone wants to be a wedding photographer. It's all fun, no work and get paid a shit load of money.....wow !!

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:43 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

+1 for misty23

Unfortunately today's photography is crappy because it's fun and easy. The actual good looks of a photo are non-existent.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:23 PM
smukshots

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

I understand the point is making. It is a job and its not easy and fun, not something should be taken lightly it someone's special day that they are putting their trust and money in you to document.

But I took sgtbueno comment as great advice. We need to be serious as photographers, but also have the appearance of calm and relaxed. If we are "having fun" most likely the people we are shooting will feed off our positive energy.

So the job is not about having fun, but still we should have fun in a professional matter. I have fun at almost every job I have done because as a photographer I love taking photos of people having fun and having a great time, it makes me happy!

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:21 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

Seriously, if you're not having fun and not enjoying what you're doing then find something else to do...

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:36 PM
smukshots

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

maxwell1295 wrote:
Seriously, if you're not having fun and not enjoying what you're doing then find something else to do...

I think some photographer just forget photography started out as a hobby, interest or passion.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:45 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

Alan wrote:
"Seriously, if you're not having fun and not enjoying what you're doing then find something else to do..."

smukshots wrote:
"I think some photographer just forget photography started out as a hobby, interest or passion."

No, no -- I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy the experience. You should. And Alan's right; if you don't, there are certainly easier ways to make money.

But telling someone who is shooting a wedding for the first time that "the only thing you need to remember is to have fun" is bad advice. Having fun is a result of being prepared and capable -- of doing a good job for a client who is depending on you for results. It is good to have fun, and it may even improve your results by putting people at ease, but it is not the goal of paid work, and thinking of it as "the only thing you need" to do is simply perverse.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:09 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

Ian Ivey wrote:
No, no -- I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy the experience. You should. And Alan's right; if you don't, there are certainly easier ways to make money.

But telling someone who is shooting a wedding for the first time that "the only thing you need to remember is to have fun" is bad advice. Having fun is a result of being prepared and capable -- of doing a good job for a client who is depending on you for results. It is good to have fun, and it may even improve your results by putting people at ease, but
...Show more

Once again, my comment to her about the "only thing" is because I see that she is prepared, she dont have to worry about her skills to do the job. I didnt mean that she dont have to deliver, that will be very "perverse" from me.
This is her first wedding, should we tell this girl not to do it? heck no, if she was my daughter I will be pushing her to do it. She comes to the forum to get some advice and most of the members are just trying to discourage her from doing it, no way, go for it.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM
misty23
• •
[X]
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

maxwell1295 wrote:

Well of course, but that not the "ONLY THING" to remember when you're out there getting paid to do a professional job. It if was, then heck, our profession would be no profession at all.....

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM
misty23
• •
[X]
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · First wedding coming up! [HELP!]

sgtbueno wrote:
Once again, my comment to her about the "only thing" is because I see that she is prepared, she dont have to worry about her skills to do the job. I didnt mean that she dont have to deliver, that will be very "perverse" from me.
This is her first wedding, should we tell this girl not to do it? heck no, if she was my daughter I will be pushing her to do it. She comes to the forum to get some advice and most of the members are just trying to discourage her from doing it, no way,
...Show more

I have tons of wedding experience, but that's doesn't mean I could photograph an NFL or NBA game. I could do it, but that doesn't mean the results will be any good. But I sure would be having a fun time.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.