Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

Tom Boucher
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

I tend to stay away from forums and news sites because I found my personality means that I always want whatever is new. Probably comes from working in the computer industry where everything is an upgrade.

My veteran 5D finally was getting to the point where I wanted a newer body, and I opted for the 6D from a price/feature perspective. Then I decided the 24-105 IS would be nice as well.

A while back I sold my 70-200 F/2.8 non-IS and I was always wanting to replace it with a 70-200 IS F/4. I was going to see if the 24-105 worked as a replacement for my 24-70 F/2.8L and sell it and the 5D body to fund this. Then, I noticed a new 24-70 which I have a 2004 version of, and then I saw the new price of $2299 MSRP.

It's not an IS lens, so what's with that price? I don't remember exactly what I paid but I thought it was $1499 for the 24-70 F/2.8L I have now... I don't see much on it so was curious why the spike in price, or is it a 'because we can'?

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

Tom -- There are several threads here on FM discussing the new 24-70 II lens and its price.

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:53 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

Yep. The steep price for the new lens version was discussed a few times here on FM in the past. Canon also released a new 24-70/4 IS L lens. Some people really like the new Tamron 24-70/2.8 with image stabilization which comes with a much better price tag.......

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:54 AM
zlatko
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

The new lens is sharper wide open, more durable, smaller and lighter.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:42 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

zlatko wrote:
The new lens is sharper wide open, more durable, smaller and lighter.

I would be interested to know why the new lens version is more durable than the old one. Lighter just means more plastic, the old version had at least some metal body parts (even plastics can be very durable, but I made better experience with more metal-parts based in lens bodies here)

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:15 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

they are trying to make up for poor DSLR sales...

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

artsupreme wrote:
they are trying to make up for poor DSLR sales...

Nonsense on both supposition and conclusion.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Arun Gupta
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

Canon is no doubt charging what the market will bear.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:31 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

Monito wrote:

Monitor, you are clueless. You were the one that said the 5D3 was selling great at $3500 and the price would not drop....yeah sure buddy, carry on....

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:32 PM
didierv
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

Yes,$2300.00 for the new 24-70 2.8 L !
Since you already have the 24-105, I would just add a 35 mm 1.4 prime.
You will have a more versatile and cheaper package, if you are ready to use a 2 lens set up.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:34 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

I just rented the Tamron 24-70 2.8 to guide my future decisions. If it were not for coma on astro images, I'd get the Tamron without any regrets. The real world pictures from it were great.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:58 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

retrofocus wrote:
I would be interested to know why the new lens version is more durable than the old one. Lighter just means more plastic, the old version had at least some metal body parts (even plastics can be very durable, but I made better experience with more metal-parts based in lens bodies here)

The old lens had centering, tilt, and distance adjustments on the very large front element. Whenever it was dropped there was a high risk of the front element losing adjustment which affected resolution, particularly at 70mm more than at 24mm. The new lens has a nonadjustable front element, less affected by drops.

The helicoid collars in the old lens were prone to wear out over time. When one broke off the barrel became slightly off center, again affecting resolution. The new barrel has far less weight than the old one, hopefully reducing wear and tear. The helicoid collars are larger and made of a stiffer material than the soft nylon used before.

I agree (somewhat) that metal survives better than plastic - the old lens was would have no obvious signs of damage because it was built like a tank, but the internal problems made poor resolution, particularly at 70mm, rather common with that lens.

Interestingly, the major problem we're having with the new version is one of the metal pieces: the zoom ring is very thin metal and has a tendency to get out of round if it's banged around, making the zoom stiff.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:02 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

RCicala wrote:
The old lens had centering, tilt, and distance adjustments on the very large front element. Whenever it was dropped there was a high risk of the front element losing adjustment which affected resolution, particularly at 70mm more than at 24mm. The new lens has a nonadjustable front element, less affected by drops.

The helicoid collars in the old lens were prone to wear out over time. When one broke off the barrel became slightly off center, again affecting resolution. The new barrel has far less weight than the old one, hopefully reducing wear and tear. The helicoid collars are larger
...Show more

How do you like the new Tamron? How well is it holding up compared to the Canon?

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:17 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

Monito wrote:

A quick check of Canon's financial results for the current fiscal year show they have reported generally favorable results in the worldwide DSLR market in Q1 and Q2, with "sales volumes growing significantly in year-over-year." Q3 sales declined YOY, due to delayed product launches and currency (Yen) appreciation. All told, they now forecast FY 2012 DLSR sales to show a 22% YOY unit base increase. A cursory study of the financial statements will not give much, if any, insight into how the price cuts have affected the DSLR business. Adding to the complexity is that Canon lumps printers, scanners, compact cameras, and even calculators into the Imaging System Business Unit along with DSLRs.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:21 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

RCicala wrote:

The helicoid collars in the old lens were prone to wear out over time. When one broke off the barrel became slightly off center, again affecting resolution. The new barrel has far less weight than the old one, hopefully reducing wear and tear. The helicoid collars are larger
...Show more

Thanks for sharing those insights! So far I am fortunate that my 24-70 vers. I lens does not give me any trouble. I consider it very sharp at both zoom ends even my 70-200/4 IS is a tiny bit sharper at 70 mm but I need to look very closely to see this marginal difference.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:24 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

mitesh wrote:
A quick check of Canon's financial results for the current fiscal year show they have reported generally favorable results in the worldwide DSLR market in Q1 and Q2, with "sales volumes growing significantly in year-over-year." Q3 sales declined YOY, due to delayed product launches and currency (Yen) appreciation. All told, they now forecast FY 2012 DLSR sales to show a 22% YOY unit base increase. A cursory study of the financial statements will not give much, if any, insight into how the price cuts have affected the DSLR business. Adding to the complexity is that Canon lumps printers, scanners, compact
...Show more

Rebels are selling well, but the professional lines are selling like shit...thus the enormous 5DIII price drops and moving dusty pallets of them below MAP.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:29 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

artsupreme wrote:
Rebels are selling well, but the professional lines are selling like shit...thus the enormous 5DIII price drops and moving dusty pallets of them below MAP.

There could certainly be some truth to that; however, a recent report detailing the Japanese DSLR market shows that Canon's market share actually increases when you remove the entry-level lines from consideration and only look at mid to high level. Link here. Of course, what's representative of the Japanese market isn't necessarily representative of the global market, but it is certainly one indicator.

Just thinking out loud, if DSLRs aren't selling too well and Canon is forced to discount them, how would raising the prices on lenses be beneficial to them? The lenses are of no use without a camera. Buyers of less expensive Rebels are less likely to drop $2300 on a new pro 24-70 than buyers of more expensive high-end, pro DSLRs like 5D3 or 1DX.

Either way, recent history shows that waiting a few months after a new camera is introduced is prudent.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:43 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

mitesh wrote:
There could certainly be some truth to that; however, a recent report detailing the Japanese DSLR market shows that Canon's market share actually increases when you remove the entry-level lines from consideration and only look at mid to high level. Link here. Of course, what's representative of the Japanese market isn't necessarily representative of the global market, but it is certainly one indicator.

You are confusing market share and sales volume. Increasing market share simply means they are selling more product than the competition. It doesn't mean actual sales are going up. Nor does it mean they are more profitable. I, personally, am of the belief that the professional market is shrinking but being mostly offset by wealthier non-pros.

Back to the topic of the new 24-70: That's the price that was set by professions tasked with determining what the market will bear. Take it or leave it. Many have taken it. I left it. I'm not paying that much for a plastic filter ring. To each their own.

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:44 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

artsupreme wrote:
How do you like the new Tamron? How well is it holding up compared to the Canon?

The Tamron seems to be doing OK. We had two where the glued-in second element fell out during shipping. That hasn't been repeated and I've seen no other reports of similar issues, so I think it had more to do with shipping lenses than anything real world.

The new Canon is holding up fine except for a few with the bent zoom ring I spoke of earlier.

But not a lot of experience yet - we only have a couple of dozen Tamrons and while we have a lot of the Mk II Canons they've only had a few months use.

FWIW - at the current price difference I'd probably go Tamron even though the Canon Mk II has amazing resolution. On the other hand, I expect the Mk II price will drop soon enough.

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:24 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What am I missing, why is new 24-70 almost 2x the first one?

leftcoastlefty wrote:
You are confusing market share and sales volume. Increasing market share simply means they are selling more product than the competition. It doesn't mean actual sales are going up. Nor does it mean they are more profitable. I, personally, am of the belief that the professional market is shrinking but being mostly offset by wealthier non-pros.

I'm not confused. Please see my earlier post which referenced increasing UNIT shipments of DSLRs reported by Canon in their quarterly earnings reports.

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.