New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Looking at Nik Dfine 2 for selective noise reduction

keith_cooper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking at Nik Dfine 2 for selective noise reduction

I've finally finished reviews of all the current Nik plugins with a look at Dfine, for selective noise reduction in images.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/plugins/dfine_2.html

I actually find it of most use for B&W shots where there is quite a lot of noise in one channel in some areas of an image.

If I've a landscape that has some solid blue sky and clouds, and decide to make the blue part darker, as part of my B&W conversion, with the equivalent of an orange filter, then the blue sky part is going to come largely from the red channel in my colour image.

Given that in a deep blue sky, there is relatively little red light, this channel will be at a low level and much more prone to showing noise and banding/posterisation in any subsequent sharpening or processing.

Selectively applying noise reduction to the blue parts of the sky has saved a couple of B&W prints, where I wasn't happy with the amount of noise visible in a large print. Whilst you can do such smoothing on a per channel basis, I find that using Dfine and control points gives a very selective reduction, which shows up in big B&W prints.

Hope the reviews's of interest!

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:16 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.