New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Help me choose lenses for video + stills

RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help me choose lenses for video + stills

I've been getting more into video as of recently and am looking at some new lenses. Currently have my 15-85 up for sale and looking to replace it with a combo of third party lenses or picking up an L prime and buying a kit lens to cover my wide angle for family trips/vacations. Just wanted opinions from those who are more experienced with video if the manual focus lenses are much better for video than the autofocusing canons as far as focus throw and manual apertures are concerned. Would I be better off using an L prime for video and retain AF for stills? Obviously it would eat up more of my budget. I'm really leaning towards option 1 or 2 but have heard many good things about 3 and 4 also. I'm shooting crop sensor btw.

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:04 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help me choose lenses for video + stills

Howdy Roger,

I was interested in your topic. Unfortunately it appears no one on this forum has responded, even with a poll.

I had hoped to find some answers here on FM, and perhaps they are in another topic in the archives...

Here is another forum that has a specific forum for LENS discussions regarding digital film making with a DSLR.

My Suggestion: Post your same question there too.

There are several posts there related to similar questions about which lens to get for various purposes in DSLR film making.

For example:
http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45050

And here is a link to that forum (about lenses specifically):

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=654105b2a6f5b2119af5d6558fc766a2

Hope that helps you.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:31 AM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help me choose lenses for video + stills

I find the AF on the 50L to be well dampened and fairly linear. From the videos I have taken I find it beneficial to prefocus the shot and shoot that clip (especially on wide aperture shots). I'm currently looking at different versions of focus stops (some kind of focus puller unit) that would allow me to make a precise (pre adjusted) focus pull between two subjects during the clip. It is fairly easy to adjust aperture while shooting on the newer cameras so I would not want this to be manual for my uses but it is really a non issue if your looking to save money.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:43 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help me choose lenses for video + stills

RogerC11 wrote:
I've been getting more into video as of recently and am looking at some new lenses. Currently have my 15-85 up for sale and looking to replace it with a combo of third party lenses or picking up an L prime and buying a kit lens to cover my wide angle for family trips/vacations. Just wanted opinions from those who are more experienced with video if the manual focus lenses are much better for video than the autofocusing canons as far as focus throw and manual apertures are concerned. Would I be better off using an L prime for video
...Show more

These 50L videos might help you:

+f1.2

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:09 PM
chmod
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help me choose lenses for video + stills

I'll only add this, as it pertains specifically to shooting video with a DSLR ( I use a 1Dx for that purpose) ...whatever lens you settle upon, invest in a quality ND filter. The ability to eliminate blown highlights, before the fact, is very important in video, as it is basically impossible to repair after the fact.

The new DSLRs are so sensitive, faces in particular are very challenging to render naturally without being able to dial things way down.

regards,
chmod

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:43 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help me choose lenses for video + stills

Not on your list, but I like my Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZE lens for video.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:48 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help me choose lenses for video + stills

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I actually just went ahead and ordered the new sigma 35mm 1.4. I have high hopes and expectations for this lens! From the initial reviews, it's better and cheaper than the 35L.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.