Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

scooplav

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

This is my first post although I've been a reader of this forum for a few months. I'm a freelance sports photog and I've been shooting HS sports in the NJ area for 2-3 years now. I purchased two B800 Alien Bees at the end of last season and just dusted them off for this season. Here are a few pics I took at a recent holiday tournament. Comments welcomed and appreciated.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    85mm    f/3.2    1/250s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    115mm    f/3.2    1/250s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    29mm    f/4.5    1/250s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    29mm    f/4.5    1/250s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    120mm    f/3.2    1/250s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 09:42 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:13 AM
scooplav

p.1 #2 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

Not sure why these are coming out so large

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:22 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

size them to something like 720 pixels on the long side

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:34 AM
scooplav

p.1 #4 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

Thanks!

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:35 AM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #5 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

You might want to resize them to fit on the page as they are too big. You captured some nice action in a couple of these. However, most of your pics are oof especially #1. It also looks like a couple are overprocessed or cropped too much.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:36 AM
scooplav

p.1 #6 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

Thanks Fish ON but I'm not sure what more I can do. I sized to 5x7 crop using Photoshop Elements. Don't think Elements allows me to size according to pixel size. I'm also getting a message " An Add On for this website failed to run". Any suggestions anyone? I'd really like to share my photos going forward. Thanks

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:53 PM
zSCOTTz
• •
p.1 #7 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

Go to Image, click Resize, then Image Size. You will have a box pop up, now you can resize your image by pixel size. As Carl stated above, resize it to 720 pixels on the long side, i.e. if its a vertical crop, 720 pixels in the Height box. If its a horizontal crop, 720 pixels in the Width box. Make sure your Constrain Proportions box at the bottom is checked also.

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

scooplav

p.1 #8 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

Thanks ZSCOTTz makes sense but the box that pops up for me has two sections : one that shows pixel dimsensions and one that shows document size. The one showing pixel dimensions is not updatable. The one showing document size is updatable but none of the dropdowns are for pixels. The resolution in this section shows 573.429 pixels/inch. Constrain porportions is checked. Should the pixel dimensions section be updatable? Thanks for your help

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:40 PM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #9 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

Some good action shots but I think you have too much ambient light which is causing you to not freeze the action as well as you could.

Thanks for sharing.

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:34 PM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #10 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

scooplav wrote:
Thanks ZSCOTTz makes sense but the box that pops up for me has two sections : one that shows pixel dimsensions and one that shows document size. The one showing pixel dimensions is not updatable. The one showing document size is updatable but none of the dropdowns are for pixels. The resolution in this section shows 573.429 pixels/inch. Constrain porportions is checked. Should the pixel dimensions section be updatable? Thanks for your help

Make sure resample image is selected. That should allow pixel dimension editing.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:09 PM
scooplav

p.1 #11 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

Thanks Milke, that did the trick!

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:43 PM
scooplav

p.1 #12 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

Mdalby, thanks for the comment. I set my strobes at one end of the gym and shot full power off the ceiling, How does one use the flash and limit ambient? I saw an earlier post of yours mentioning this and I was intrigued but I didn't catch it.

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:49 PM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #13 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

I believe what he's saying is he sets his camera to 1/250, F4.0 ish, and an ISO of around 400+ to start. He then takes a picture without any external light source(ie: ambient) and the camera will register a near dark screen. Not completely black but near dark. He then sets his strobes and snaps a shot and lets the strobes provide nearly all the exposure light. This prevents ghosting and stops the action very nicely and makes for some fantastic photos. Hopefully I got that right, but that's how I understood it and went to the high school gym and tried it. Once you dial it in using strobe power or a slight increase in ISO, etc.... nice exposures, stop action, and zero ghosting, with zero post processing.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:37 PM
scooplav

p.1 #14 · HS Basketball Using My Strobes

Thanks Mike i get it now. My only concern is direct strobing. Many schools I go to are use to bounced not direct. I may try to do some direct during warm ups and see what I get. I'm shooting again tonight.

Thanks everyone this has been very helpful. Zero pp, that would be nice and a first!

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:35 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password