Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

zackrexroad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

Hey all, i just purchased a Canon Rebel T3i and am now looking at what lenses i should get. I know little about canon lenses because ive been a Nikon user for a while. I already plan on purchasing the Rokinon 8mm fisheye lens so im mainly looking at what my options are for mid-range and longer range lenses.

My main concerns with the lens(es) are i dont want to carry more than two or three lenses at a time. I dont need anything over 300mm. and I am on a budget. haha

Anyways give me your suggestions, I would love to hear them all!

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:08 AM
corndog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

Can't go wrong with the 70-200/4 non-is, or maybe the Sigma 100-300/4.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:12 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

A few questions before attempting to offer advice on lenses...

What Nikon body and lenses did you shoot with before...
What subjects do you mostly like to shoot...
Are you a daylight, evening light or do you shoot in all kinds of lighting
Do you use flash a good bit, for fill or full on lighting...
Are you more a stills or video shooter...
What is your budget, under/over $1000, what's you max...
Did you use Nikon's VR lenses, or were none VR lenses okay...

Riddle me the above and I'll be back to assist.
Jerry

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 05:23 AM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:21 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

24-70 f2.8L II, giving you an incentive toward full frame and 35-110 (approx.) on your Rebel.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:21 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #5 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

The 18-55 IS kit lens and the 55-250 IS kit lens (get them used or new with kit, don't buy stand alone as they are over priced). Add the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, the Sigma 30 1.4, the Tokina 11-16, the Canon 50 1.8 (or 1.4), Canon 85 1.8, and one of the Canon 70-200 lenses. Choose which ones based on your intended use.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:42 AM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #6 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

saneproduction wrote:
The 18-55 IS kit lens and the 55-250 IS kit lens (get them used or new with kit, don't buy stand alone as they are over priced). Add the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, the Sigma 30 1.4, the Tokina 11-16, the Canon 50 1.8 (or 1.4), Canon 85 1.8, and one of the Canon 70-200 lenses. Choose which ones based on your intended use.

Sound advice.

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:13 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

depends on subject, your experience, flash, video, etc. but the kit lens (18-55IS and 55-250IS) are pretty good and inexpensive.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:07 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #8 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

StillFingerz wrote:
A few questions before attempting to offer advice on lenses...

What Nikon body and lenses did you shoot with before...
What subjects do you mostly like to shoot...
Are you a daylight, evening light or do you shoot in all kinds of lighting
Do you use flash a good bit, for fill or full on lighting...
Are you more a stills or video shooter...
What is your budget, under/over $1000, what's you max...
Did you use Nikon's VR lenses, or were none VR lenses okay...

Riddle me the above and I'll be back to assist.
Jerry

^^^ this x100

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sfcyclist

p.1 #9 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

Lens are much easier to translate coming from Nikon. Bodies I can understand the confusion. What Nikon mount lenses did you have before?

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:01 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #10 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

Add the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC

If I had to use a single lens on a Canon crop camera, it'd be the Tamron 17-50 2.8 ***NON**-VC. The non-VC version is significantly sharper than the VC version, and provides you with the classic 28-80mm zoom range (in a full frame, 35mm equivalent field of view). You can get this lens used for $300-$350.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:48 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

zackrexroad wrote:
Hey all, i just purchased a Canon Rebel T3i and am now looking at what lenses i should get. I know little about canon lenses because ive been a Nikon user for a while. I already plan on purchasing the Rokinon 8mm fisheye lens so im mainly looking at what my options are for mid-range and longer range lenses.

My main concerns with the lens(es) are i dont want to carry more than two or three lenses at a time. I dont need anything over 300mm. and I am on a budget. haha

Anyways give me your suggestions, I would love
...Show more

I have a very strong (and quite serious) recommendation for you as a new DSLR buyer who does not yet have a lot of experience under your belt nor have any particular preferences.

Shoot with the fine EFS 18-55mm IS kit lens that probably came with the camera. Do not go out and buy other lenses based on what people in a forum tell you. Shooting with your existing lens will give you a base of experience that will inform your choices in all sorts of important ways.

You do not need more lenses "right out of the gate," and as you shoot more and more your own personal needs and preferences will make a lot more sense to you.

Good luck,

Dan

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:05 PM
tr1957
• •
p.1 #12 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

Paul Mo wrote:
24-70 f2.8L II, giving you an incentive toward full frame and 35-110 (approx.) on your Rebel.

Not an option for someone on a budget

If you are looking for a good all around general purpose lens for a T3i, I suggest looking at the 15-85 (around $600 or so)

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:48 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #13 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

zackrexroad wrote:

Anyways give me your suggestions, I would love
...Show more

Why did you purchase this camera without knowing what the other part of the system is about?...sort of like someone say they have just purchased a diesel car...then asking why they did it......for gods sake....

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:10 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #14 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

I agree with saneproduction, tr1957, and stlilfingerz.

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:15 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #15 · Just purchased a Canon, need lens suggestions

Shoot with the fine EFS 18-55mm IS kit lens that probably came with the camera.

This is also reasonable good advice. When you're ready to see what better glass can do for you -- which is to say when you can take well exposed and well composed shots -- then buy some *used* higher-end glass, so that you can sell it again at little or no loss. Use it for a bit. See what differences it makes. Don't be afraid to sell glass you've bought to try something else. It's worth going through a good number of lenses over a period of time to really get a sense of what the options are. I've been through dozens of lenses, including quite a few fairly pricey ones ($1000-$2000). Most of them I no longer own. I do own just a few lenses now that I'm likely to stick with "for good." I also know I can pick up speciality lenses on the used market if I need them for specific projects. FWIW, the lenses I've ended up with after a good period of experimenting are, unsurprisingly, f/2.8 versions of the classic 70-200 and 24-70, a 100-400, and a miscellany of alt lenses for special purposes: An OM Zuiko 21/2 for wide shots, an FD 35mm tilt-shift with an EF mount machined on by a local technician for situations where I need perspective control, an old but sharp 105mm macro originally designed for dental work, and a few inexpensive but interesting old 50mm lenses with particularly nice behaviors especially in out of focus areas.

So set yourself up to learn. Be patient. Experiment a lot. It's fun. And eventually you'll find your own stable of lenses that make sense for you.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:31 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password