Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Gatlinburg Scenery

rrrgpotts

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Gatlinburg Scenery

Pretty new to photography and newer to this type of photography. If you took the time to check it out, please give me some feedback. Thanx in advance.

Gatlinberg IV by pottstography, on Flickr

Gatlinberg I by pottstography, on Flickr

Gatlinberg II by pottstography, on Flickr

Gatlinberg III by pottstography, on Flickr

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:03 AM
Mashuto

p.1 #2 · Gatlinburg Scenery

Cool shots! I need to get back to the Gatlinburg area. I say area because the town of Gatlinburg was... well... not for me. The surrounding area though, amazing.

I think of the four of them the top two are my favorite. The top image really pulls my eye in right to the mountain and trees in the background and there is a lot of great texture there.

I see you shot all of these at 50mm, personally, when shooting landscapes I like to shoot as wide as I can for a given scene and some of these could probably benefit from a wider angle of view.

Also be very careful of your highlights and shadows, I can see blown highlights in all four of your images and a lot of very very dark shadow areas in two of them as well.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:25 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Gatlinburg Scenery

You did pretty good here for a beginner, you have some very nice compositions. The biggest issue that you have here is blowing out highlights, you can see that in #2 to 4. White snow, water, etc being blown out with a loss of detail. That can come from not exposing properly, or shooting at a time of day when the whites are being lit by the sun so that they are so much brighter then the surrounding areas. Shooting at earlier or later times in the day, or on overcast days will help with that. Now it also could come from your processing, it's easy to adjust the contrast and if you don't watch the highlights they will blow out. So you should look at your original raw shots to see where it was that the highlights got blown out.

With all that said... #2 is my favorite shot. A very nice composition that is only hurt by the blown out water detail. #4 is my next favorite, nice work with the layers there. #1 is interesting, I like what you were going for. But as a suggestion, go to a pano crop on that and totally crop off the top so that now sky is showing, you will see a totally different mood in the shot. #3 almost works, it's an interesting shot, and not an easy one to take in terms of composition. It comes across as being too busy for me, but it looks like a cool place to have been.

I hope that helps, keep on shooting, that's where you will grow the most. You have a pretty good eye developed for compositions, so keep at it.

Jim

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

shoenberg3
• • •
p.1 #4 · Gatlinburg Scenery

There's real potential here. And particularly 1 is already fantastic work imo.
I also like the more "compressed" focal length (whether intentional or not) that you choose for these landscapes. Casually including too many things with the wideangle lens is one of common "lazy" things that photographers do too often.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:41 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Gatlinburg Scenery

Good job. There are some great suggestions here. These are applicable to all of us, so thank you guys.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:57 PM
rrrgpotts

p.1 #6 · Gatlinburg Scenery

Thanks to all for your input. I struggled on the exposures, hence the blow outs. I def need practice in getting the proper exposure. Thanx for the info, appreciate the time put into your critiques. Have a great day. Thanx to all.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:57 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password