New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New DSLR for a beginner

huddy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New DSLR for a beginner

I just posted a similar thread on the canon board but figured I'd ask some advice here just to run things around in my brain a bit.

I'm helping one of my younger family members pick out a first camera. She has her eye set on a Canon Digital Rebel XS with a kit lens or some gobbily gook like that. I'm going to have her think things through a bit before she lays down money (she is still working on saving and should get there within a few months) and consider CaNikOny and various other mirrorless options. I'm also taking her to a store to try lots of bodies in hand.

Her total budget will probably be $500-600.

My thoughts go as follow in no order:
5Dc+50/1.8 plastic fantastic
D300+35/1.8 or 50/1.8 of some variety

I remember my frustration with slow kit lenses and cheapo DSLR's and figure a single lens and solid body that allows her direct control would be a great place to start learning. I would then gift her a some basic strobist gear (stand+flash+umbrella+remotes), plus a ZA one light field guide for her birthday a few months later.

Is there any reason to shy away from a well-cared for D300? She doesn't seem interested in video. Obviously an update to the D7000 would be nice if it could push the price down and make the D7000 or D300s bodies fall into her price range. I'm well aware of the availability of cheap D5100's, but I have handled them and am less than impressed.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:53 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New DSLR for a beginner

Hi Allan,

IMHO for a first camera, nowaday D300 is too much camera and too less IQ. I was a happy user of D300 but when I replaced it with D7000 I was much happier. D300 is quite poor in low light when D7000 is doing a pretty good job in any light. Someone new in photography will not see soon the difference in ergonomics but definitely will appreciate the difference in IQ. I'll suggest eventually a used D7K to fit into budget.

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:17 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New DSLR for a beginner

D300 was my first upgrade from a D3000 and the first time I held it I was thrilled by the build quality. IMO it made taking photos a much easier and fun task and it got me more interested in photography. Obviously it has it's shortcomings particularly in low light photography but at $500 it can't be beat. A used D7000 is another option also. I highly recommend it but let her try it in hand first just in case the weight and bulk is overwhelming. That coupled with a 35 1.8G or a 60 2.8 AF-S is a serious beginner's kit!

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:22 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New DSLR for a beginner

a D5200 would be a decent fit

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:36 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New DSLR for a beginner

D3200?

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New DSLR for a beginner

D3100 + 18-70
Both used. Should be under $500 total.

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:28 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New DSLR for a beginner

Ideally, I'd like to steer her towards at least the D90/300/7000 territory. Having used an handled the 3x00/5x00 bodies, although they offer excellent IQ in the newest generations, handling is a bit diminished. I'll definitely have her try them all out in store. Hopefully Nikon releases a new DX body to soon to further suppress the prices on the D7000. I think that would be the ideal starting place for her in a Nikon body. Time will tell though. Thank you all for the quick replies.

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New DSLR for a beginner

In that case, the D300 + 35/1.8 or the 18-70 as it is a good optic for the price.
Should be doable for $600 (18-70 + D300)

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:42 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New DSLR for a beginner

Alan, a nice used D300 (don't know the current price-level) teamed up with the neat 35/1.8 should make a fantastic combo for serious starters. A prime of 50mm-equivalent as only lens is a great "teacher".

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:30 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.