Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Candid family shots: M, Av, or Tv?

taylorman22
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Candid family shots: M, Av, or Tv?

I have a 40D with a kit 18-55 IS II and most of my shots are either landscape or random family shots around the house or out and about at parks, etc. I'm very familiar with my camera and how each of these modes work, and I typically shoot everything in manual mode. I'm also in the process of trying to decide which lens to upgrade to. I'm wanting something with a little more reach, but also want something that's faster. I'm looking at the Tamron 17-50 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, or Canon 15-85, and/or a 430ex II flash. I can't afford all of these, but could probably afford the flash and one lens.

I'm just curious for these types of shots, do you guys mostly shoot in M, Av, or Tv? Do you shoot in burst mode, capturing a lot of shots, so you have more to choose from and a greater chance of getting the right shot, or do you just shoot single shots?

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:16 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Candid family shots: M, Av, or Tv?

I only shoot manual including flash in manual but still use auto focus. Why not go with a non Canon flash (YN560II) for around $70.00 and use the money for a lens. The Tamron 28-70/2.8 is good and would be longer than you now have as is the 70-200 for portraits. I prefer longer for my style but you have to decide what look you want. If you can get your flash off camera that is a plus so a low cost trigger would be required but that plus a reflector would allow you to be much more creative.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:05 PM
taylorman22
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Candid family shots: M, Av, or Tv?

jefferies1 wrote:
I only shoot manual including flash in manual but still use auto focus. Why not go with a non Canon flash (YN560II) for around $70.00 and use the money for a lens. The Tamron 28-70/2.8 is good and would be longer than you now have as is the 70-200 for portraits. I prefer longer for my style but you have to decide what look you want. If you can get your flash off camera that is a plus so a low cost trigger would be required but that plus a reflector would allow you to be much more creative.

I'm looking at the canon flashes because the yn560ii doesn't support TTL. I would love to be able to use that money towards a lens, but the flash will open up many more opportunities.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Candid family shots: M, Av, or Tv?

For these types of shots I use manual and spot meter on the skin (my own if I am in the same light so they don't see me pointing the camera at them) at +2/3 for my family's light skin tone.

A Yongnuo YN565EX has TTL metering and can be had for around $150. It doesn't have high speed sync though. For that you have to get a YN568 for around $200. Still good deals compared to the 430EX II unless size is a factor for you. I have the YN560, YN565, and Canon 430EX II and I definitely notice a difference in size between the YNs and the Canon but don't really notice a difference in weight so they are fine with me. Look into the YN622 radio trigger/receivers as well. They are an inexpensive way to get wireless off camera flash with TTL at about $90 for a pair.

By the gear you listed I'm guessing you have about $850 to spend? If it was me, I'd keep the kit lens and go one of two ways:
1. Get a YN565, Canon EF 35mm f/2 ($250 used), Canon EF 70-200 f/4L ($500). Total $900. The 35 f/2 is really a great lens on a crop frame body.
2. Get a YN565, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ($450 new), Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 ($300 used). Total $900. I'd buy the sigma new so you can return it if you get a dud.

If that's not your budget, then I'd just add each piece of gear as you can afford it.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:51 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Candid family shots: M, Av, or Tv?

Buy a used 430 EX II flash. Sell the kit lens for what you can get for it, put some more money with it, and pick up a used Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 I for roughly $1200 like this one:

24-70 Link

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:20 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Candid family shots: M, Av, or Tv?

I usually shoot in Av to set the DOF I want. The camera metering does a good job for the exposure. That way I can pay attention to the family and not the camera. I just make sure the iso is high enough for the shutter to be in a reasonable range.

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:14 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Candid family shots: M, Av, or Tv?

Av with fast glass, and keep the ISO as low as possible. When indoors and not enough light, kick up the ISO. Still not enough light indoors - I bounce a flash on manual settings (the flash is on manual - not the cam).

Usually, the only time I shoot on M is in studio since no variables exist for me under controlled lighting. Otherwise, I choose what is important to me and shoot accordingly. Shooting people leads me to Av because I want to control the depth of field, unless some action/motion is involved then I'll consider Tv.

And I'll second the vote for you to consider a 24-70/2.8. Great family-shooting lens. I also have the 70-200/2.8L ISII which is a wonderful lens outdoors, but a bit too long for around the house.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:00 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Candid family shots: M, Av, or Tv?

I use AV a good 80% or more of the time, but it's good to be familiar with the others too.

With a flash I typically switch to M mode so I can be aware of how much light is coming from ambient vs. how much from the flash.

I don't know if the 40D has it but if I am going to use a common setup, like a certain ISO, certain FEC, etc., I will program that into the C1 or C2 modes so it is available quickly.

Whether I use burst or single, etc. just depends. Sometimes if I am trying to capture a decisive moment I will use video and then frame grab, it just depends on where the picture is going to go.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:29 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.