Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · help : rain in the camera

utmoab

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · help : rain in the camera

I tried to search some help on the forum but couldn't find anything answering my questions. I would need some help from FMers who are used to shoot under the rain.

I'm on vacation in Mexico and have had some wonderful weather since the begining of the week.
.......until today when I've been caught under the rain for half an hour.
I didn't have anything to protect my camera and decided to continue shooting, thinking my 7D was sealed enought.
When finally arriving home, I discoverd that some of the buttons at the back and on the top do not work properly anymore, particularly the joystick.
Upon my discover, I removed everything I could (battery, battery cover, I opened the flash,.......) to let the camera dry as much as possible but after an hour the joystick still does not properly.

I know that the weather-sealing does not mean completely-waterproof-ready-for-scuba-diving but I thought my 7D would handle a light rain much better.

2 questions :
In the meantime, does anyone know what I could do to help drying the contacts ?
What is the limit of the weather sealing ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:38 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · help : rain in the camera

Put it in a bag of rice for a couple days...don't turn it on anymore

Of course there is a limit to sealing ... Even 1 series

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:12 AM
godfather
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · help : rain in the camera

Good advice above. I don't think the 7d has any real weather sealing...just a few gaskets here and there. Need to move to a 1 series to get that.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:22 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · help : rain in the camera

Oh, canon has also said that even humidity can get into weather sealed cameras killing off their boards. I had a friend kill his 7D that way.

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:56 AM
utmoab

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · help : rain in the camera

Thanks for your help
I could finally find a hair dryer and carefully blow some hot air onto the buttons as well as into the body from the card opening making sure that every opening where open to help evacuate moisture away.
Everything went fine !!! I now have all the functions of my 7D back.
This little misadventure make me rethink my conception of weather sealing though. For quite som times now, i've been looking at a used 1D iv on the b&s forum but it still a big investment.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · help : rain in the camera

whtrbt7 wrote:
Oh, canon has also said that even humidity can get into weather sealed cameras killing off their boards. I had a friend kill his 7D that way.

to heck what canon says try the laws of physics and nature.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · help : rain in the camera

Too bad about your 7D. Hopefully, some readers will learn from your experience. Unfortunately, many will probably dismiss it. I use a 1DX, 1DIV and contemporary "weather sealed" L-series lenses. When shooting in the rain, I use Think Tank and AquaTech raincoats.

P.S. Canon warranties and CPS Service fixed-rate repairs cover just about everything except dropped gear and wet gear.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ITR010342
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · help : rain in the camera

Getting caught in rain in the D.R. screwed up the AF points and hot shoe of my old 50D... moved to 1DIV and have not had a problem since. Bag of rice is solid advice though!!!

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:47 PM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · help : rain in the camera

It's always a good idea to carry some (zip lock) sealed dry packs with you - plus a larger bag that would fit your camera or other equipment. You can buy these relatively cheap on Amazon. THhey are handy for long(er) term storage too e.g. if you keep your camera in a sealed pelican case - just as a precaution.

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:38 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · help : rain in the camera

I carry one huge plastic bag to just throw over the entire photographer when it rains.

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:52 AM
alskouba
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · help : rain in the camera

I had the same problem but with a 5d MK II and the top lcd add some water in it. the camera was still working even completely wet and some buttons not even working. I left it to dry for a complete night without batteries and the next morning the 5d was working like nothing happened.
I am now shooting with a 5d MKIII and I have been using it In tropical condition (jungle) and In cold -30 celsius and every thing works as it should.

Moral of the story,Trust your gear it will take the beating.

Alexis

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:11 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · help : rain in the camera

Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. Always have spare bodies.

EBH

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:50 AM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · help : rain in the camera

Quick note on the hair dryer assist for anyone who may not be aware, blow dryers can achieve surprisingly high temperatures and easily deform many plastics.

Anytime I'm using one to dry electronics (usually my iPhone with rain drops in the ear speaker slot) I keep my hand near or in the dryer blast to ensure I'm not warming the gear much over 100 - 120 F.

Also, blow dryers are great for speeding up lighting charcoal when grilling

Jan 28, 2013 at 05:10 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password