Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Real image or photoshopped?

sgietler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Real image or photoshopped?

I was very curious about this image I saw on another photo site.

I was wondering if people thought this image was created using photoshop or not.. if not, how do you think it was taken? The EXIF data says a Canon 50mm F1.4 lens was used. I've used F2.8 lenses to create nice bokeh many times, but I've never seen anything like this.

I hope this is the right forum for this kind of question.

Jan 01, 2013 at 05:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Real image or photoshopped?

If you are referring to the yellow oof highlights ... I'm good with them being real (shot wide open)

Although, I might be inclined to consider it a composite image as I'm having a little difficulty with the one highlight that is "inside" the bottle opening.

The bottle opening is in sharp focus. The oof highlight is in the same plane as the bottle opening (by virtue of being inside it). If the light source that is creating the oof blur was in the same plane as the bottle, it would be a sharp light point (in the plane of focus), not a blurred oof light circle.

The "tell" is being able to "look through" the oof circle and see the other side of the bottle that gives us a definitive plane/location of that particular light point.

Cool composite, but I'm thinking the bottle should be blocking the oof, not the oof blocking the bottle.

Jan 01, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Real image or photoshopped?

RustyBug wrote:
If you are referring to the yellow oof highlights ... I'm good with them being real.

Although, I might be inclined to consider it a composite image as I'm having a little difficulty with the one highlight that is "inside" the bottle opening.

The bottle opening is in sharp focus. The oof highlight is in the same plane as the bottle opening (by virtue of being inside it). If the light source that is creating the oof blur was in the same plane as the bottle, it would be a sharp light point (in the plane of focus), not a blurred
...Show more

Good eye Sherlock!

And I understand the nature of the question - ie "to photoshop verb, transitive" - one can argue, for entertainment if nothing else, that almost all digital images are photoshopped since any processing done is destructive in the sense that it (except for RAW) degrades from the original image. Or, they are "PSP'd, etc.

Bob

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:23 PM
sgietler
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Real image or photoshopped?

Bob - great point. Perhaps I chose my words poorly.

What I meant to say was, do people think the yellow circles were placed on the images in post-processing? I'm not implying anything is wrong with creating images using photoshop, just curious who people think this particular image was produced. do people think it is it just a simple composite?

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Real image or photoshopped?

I don't know how this was created, nor do I care.

Cool image, tho.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:05 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Real image or photoshopped?

sgietler wrote:
Bob - great point. Perhaps I chose my words poorly.

What I meant to say was, do people think the yellow circles were placed on the images in post-processing? I'm not implying anything is wrong with creating images using photoshop, just curious who people think this particular image was produced. do people think it is it just a simple composite?

No, no, don't take it wrong - we all, in our own ways, more or less do whatever was done with that composite, and would likely do even more if we knew how!

I was just playing the devil's advocate - what sets me off is when someone denies "photoshopping" when it is patently obvious "things" were done with the image - which of course relates in no way to your question.

Yours was, and is, a fair question - I'm the one who went over the edge (or perhaps "cliff" to use today's term de jour). Too much free time tonight for me Just feeling a little frisky

Bob

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:32 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.