Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · iPhone app & cable to connect to 5DIII

lesaus
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iPhone app & cable to connect to 5DIII

I will be ordering the TS-E 24 II for my 5DIII before the rebate ends on 1/5 and getting the iPhone 5 next month. My plan is to somehow connect the i5 to the 5DIII so that I can use the phone's LCD instead of the camera's when close to the ground while using live view.

Is there an economical setup - cable and app - that would facilitate this function? Thanks for your help.

Ed

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:53 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iPhone app & cable to connect to 5DIII

As the iPhone/iPad can't be a USB host (go ask apple!!!) then the only commercial way ive seen is using the cam ranger . It's Basicly a wireless dongle you plug into the camera .

Android has the DSLR Controler that is a fair bit cheaper .

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iPhone app & cable to connect to 5DIII

What you asked for is the Cam Ranger
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1165008/0#11109630

While it has electronic camera control, T/S lenses are fully manual focus, tilt and shift.
However, Camranger gets the Live View off of the camera USB port, which has limited resolution. This has been covered in related threads.

As your TS lens movement use becomes more refined you may likely desire much higher resolution for low angle tilt adjustment than what the CamRanger can provide. High resolution Live View, comparable to the 5DIII Live View LCD, requires taking the signal off of the HDMI camera port and optimally scaling with software to maximize the inherent detail. Also Tilt adjustment requires two hands, one to loosen the lock knob and one to move the tilt knob. Don't try to force the tilt adjustment with a partially locked lock knob, this is courting an expensive repair as the mechanism has been known to freeze requiring a service visit. Adjustment of low angle tilt requires fine iterative adjustment of tilt and focus in conjunction with moving the magnification area about the frame to near field and infinity. I personally found that anything less than a full HD viewing screen (1280X800 and 1:1 scaling) to be inadequate. My approach with an HD capable external monitor is described in detail here, which covers the salient issues in greater detail:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/smallhd/

I would get the lens and do lots of testing with Tilt and Shifting movements around home before worrying about an external display. It takes awhile to figure out what type of shots are facilitated with the lens movements what fov is attractive to you and what the demands on your equipment will be. I have found all viewfinders inadequate for critical tilt adjustment and use magnified Live View. As you get a lower and lower camera placement you will develop a feel of what type of Live View display will work for you.
Mike K

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password