Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D7000 sensor cleaning

billkoe
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7000 sensor cleaning

I use both a D7000 and D300. Both cameras are set to clean the sensor upon turning on the camera. There is a slight "whine" when I do this but only on the D300.

I ask this because the sensor on the D7000 gets quite dirty while the sensor on the D300 doesn't have a spot.

Is it likely that the sensor cleaner doesn't work on my D7000? Does your D7000 make a high-pitched noise when the cleaner is turned on like my D300 does?

Thanks... and happy New Year.

Jan 01, 2013 at 05:19 PM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7000 sensor cleaning

Never heard a sound from any camera self cleaning myself.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:43 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7000 sensor cleaning

Yup, mine have all made a slight whine during but ya REALLY have to listen for it.
I have mine set to clean @ ON/OFF and learned the proper way to get the most
out of the feature is to place on solid object (in horizontal shooting position) as
opposed to moving it around when cleaning is initiated. D800/D700/D7K are all
pretty spotless AFAIK (I tend to shoot towards the wide-open side so YMMV) f8
is stopped down, for me. Maybe I don't wanna know what COULD be lurking

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:59 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7000 sensor cleaning

The D300 is the only camera I could hear the cleaner make a noise. My D700 and D7000 I can not hear anything.

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7000 sensor cleaning

I can hear my D7000 sensor cleaning, but only if I take the lens off first. It kind of goes click-click-click-click-cliiiiiick.

By the way, the D7000 sensor gets dirty much more than my D90 does (or any other camera that I've owned), even when I only use a prime (the 300mm f/4).

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:49 AM
billkoe
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7000 sensor cleaning

Thanks all. Trench... I usually shoot pretty wide open too but when I shoot with studio strobes & stop it down and there's a plain background, oh boy! It's a mess like my old D1x. The D300 is as clean as a whistle. It's a little disconcerting to have a feature on the camera that gives me no evidence of working.

NPS usually defers tech questions to Nikon USA who wrote "If you go into setup options, you will see two options for cleaning the sensor, one is clean now, the other is to clean at start-up or shut-down." Okay...

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:09 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7000 sensor cleaning

I must have a "special" one then I can choose:

Clean @ Startup
Clean @ Shutdown
Clean @ Startup/Shutdown *** my choice
Cleaning Off

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:26 PM
billkoe
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7000 sensor cleaning

I've always used the clean at startup. I suppose doubling my efforts by choosing cleaning at both ends would keep the sensor cleaner though I never need to do that with the D300. I guess I was only wondering if my D7000 was defective because I hear nothing during the cleaning process with that camera and it has a dirty sensor. That was my question to Nikon and they only told me about the menu options.

I guess I'll revert to the old manual swab technique.

Thanks again.

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password