Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What Happened? Need Advice, please.

lookoutscout
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What Happened? Need Advice, please.

I headed out to shoot the stars last night--it was crystal clear, very cold and figured it would be a great opportunity to capture some spectacular images. When I got home and downloaded my images, they all looked like the two which are attached. What happened? I am confused. I shot these with a 40d, 17-40 at 17mm. ISO at 500 for 25 or 30 sec. Can anybody tell me what I did wrong? Thanks.
Dave

Canon EOS 40D    EF17-40mm f/4L USM lens    17mm    f/4.0    30s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 40D    EF17-40mm f/4L USM lens    17mm    f/4.0    30s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Mashuto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What Happened? Need Advice, please.

I assume you are talking about the sensor noise/banding?

Did you boost the exposure up in post at all? I know that when I attempt to shoot the sky, I have found that I have needed about 30 seconds, wide open at ISO 1600 and I still had to boost the exposure levels in post. Unfortunately when boosting the shadows in post you often run into the noise and artifacting you are seeing. I think the strategy is to capture as much light possible on location so you dont have to do that, of course you also need to worry about the motion of the stars since the motion tends to show after about 20-30 seconds at wide angles.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:53 PM
parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What Happened? Need Advice, please.

All as above abd dont use intermidiate iso values!

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:12 PM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What Happened? Need Advice, please.

This looks about par for the course for night shooting with the 40D. I tried it several times and even with my fastest lens (2.8) shooting anywhere from 800-3200 at 30 seconds (to minimize star trails) they were all noisy and had banding to the point that even with fairly liberal noise reduction and clean up in PP they weren't really salvageable. The sensor just isn't good enough to pull it off in my experience.

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MMauro72
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What Happened? Need Advice, please.

I was just posting in another thread about this. Check out this tutorial. Btw get away from light sources. The darkest areas are the best. Check out the sky chart for the least light polluted in your area. You can find a link to the sky chart at this link as well.
http://www.davemorrowphotography.com/p/tutorial-shooting-night-sky.html?m=1

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What Happened? Need Advice, please.

BryanSwan wrote:
This looks about par for the course for night shooting with the 40D. I tried it several times and even with my fastest lens (2.8) shooting anywhere from 800-3200 at 30 seconds (to minimize star trails) they were all noisy and had banding to the point that even with fairly liberal noise reduction and clean up in PP they weren't really salvageable. The sensor just isn't good enough to pull it off in my experience.

Taken with 40D so it's certainly capable enough....

As for the OP, don't use intermediate iso values, as was suggested before. And definitely do not use iso 3200. These aren't *real* iso values on xxD series cameras, but are pushed from full stop iso values (100,200,400....). And of course shoot RAW.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:59 PM
jforkner
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What Happened? Need Advice, please.

Last year I attempted some similar shots with my Olympus E-620---a camera not known for low-light performance. What helped me get some decent photos from the RAW images out of the camera were:
1. ISO 1600 or 2500 @ 20 - 30 sec. exposure at f2.8.
2. Applying in-camera noise reduction.
3. A fair amount of post-processing noise-reduction in ACR along with additional noise-reduction processing using NIK Dfine 2.0.
4. I also had to play with the white balance to remove the "amber tint."

It won't win any prizes, but here's an example of what I achieved:

Jack

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:59 PM
ctlim
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What Happened? Need Advice, please.

Can u post the histogram of the raw shot? They are underexposed to me. Did u take a look at the histogram after taking the shot or just at the lcd? Looking at the lcd is not accurate especially when shooting at night it is very deceiving. Always use histogram as basis and it wont be under. The most you can get away with in acr in fill light is +20 to 30 to allow the image to stay clean. Never touch the exposure bar. If you have to that means the image is under and you will add noise by jacking it up. Problem also with in cam NR is it softens the whole image even the foreground and subject so best to noise reduce selectively in post. also take note of cam capabilities even on a mk2 vs a mk3 their iso performance on same settings are different. Because as iso capabilities of the cam improve it should be evident in the whole spectrum and not just on a specific setting.

Those are digital noise, lack of data on those pixels and jacking up the exposure too much causes it. There is no replacement for the right exposure. Post processing only has a level up to which you can fix exposure or recover hightlights before that part, or the whole image in some cases is degraded.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password