Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Converting OM21/3.5 to Nikon?

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Converting OM21/3.5 to Nikon?

Has anyone tried this? I have the Leitax kit and looked at it yesterday - basically it leaves the whole back side of the lens 'open'. Is there a good way to dust seal it? Maybe a cardboard or construction paper dust skirt somehow??

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:53 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Converting OM21/3.5 to Nikon?

Hmmm .. interesting. Looks like they made it for one fits all as the opening is good for the 90/2. I bought the kit for that lens to use on my D800... not converted it yet as I was thinking about putting it on my 18/3.5 to use it with a Nikon shift adapter on my Nex bodies.

I think I would go with a dust skirt, but I'd look for a thin plastic or rubber sheet to form one from so that it won't shed particles. Pls post photos if you make one.

Mike

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:53 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Converting OM21/3.5 to Nikon?

Thanks - I am not sure what to use for a material or how to do a nice looking cut in it? I have some neoprene, but it's probably toooo soft.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:06 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Converting OM21/3.5 to Nikon?

Thin plastic for overhead projectors? It's easy to cut with scissors or an X-Acto knife.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:15 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Converting OM21/3.5 to Nikon?

Where do I get that? Sounds like I need a trip to the craft store.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:22 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Converting OM21/3.5 to Nikon?

Here's a photo of the conversion, see how the back is fully open. I got tired of trying to wrestle the spring onto the aperture lever so I tied it over to the left instead with some filament.

http://www.redwrench.com/2012/OM21/20130101-_DSC0519.jpg

The rear element sticks out of the mount about 1/8 inch or more. I really am not sure I want to use this lens on Nikon. This is the third time I've converted it and I keep deciding it's just too scary to use & carry it with the element so exposed. Probably will convert it back.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Converting OM21/3.5 to Nikon?

It will be fine as-is. Maybe blacken those screws - that's about all that it needs. Is it possible to remove the OEM shroud from the OM mount and attach it to the leitax mount? That would be best. Otherwise, a sheet of flocking material appropriately cut with an xacto would be a good 2nd choice and easy to do.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:23 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.