Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Stuart
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Just loving this new camera and sensor technology (especially after using a Canon 5D Mk II for many years)

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to FM. Nice photo.

Cheers, Jim

Jan 01, 2013 at 02:59 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Looks good.

Welcome.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:54 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Stuart,
was it worth switching from 5DII image quality wise?

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Stuart
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

vovkinson wrote:
Stuart,
was it worth switching from 5DII image quality wise?

So far I'm rather impressed with the performance and quality of the x-trans sensor in the X-E1. Without having a low-pass/anti-aliasing filter, the sensor produces sharp, clear and detailed images that rival those taken with the 21MP full-frame sensor of the 5D Mk II. Frankly, the x-trans sensor output feels more like film to me.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Stuart wrote:
So far I'm rather impressed with the performance and quality of the x-trans sensor in the X-E1. Without having a low-pass/anti-aliasing filter, the sensor produces sharp, clear and detailed images that rival those taken with the 21MP full-frame sensor of the 5D Mk II. Frankly, the x-trans sensor output feels more like film to me.

+1. I owned the 5DmkII before the X-Pro1 and I'm much happier with the X-Trans output.
Honestly, the focus is just as good and the ISO performance is so much better than the 5DmkIl. It's hard to believe considering a 1.5x sensor beats out a full frame sensor in almost every way, but X-Trans marks a huge leap forward in sensor design though it's not perfect, it's incredibly innovative.

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Welcome Stuart.
I'm also an X-E1 user. My 5DII won't be sold though.
I don't agree with Brody about the focus. The AF of the 5DII isn't fantastic, but it still destroys Fuji IMHO. Shooting an event with the Canon is so much easier and I never had problems with it.
That being said I really like Fuji. The colors are so nice, better dynamic range, better ISO performance,... and it's small/light!
I hardly ever regret leaving my 5DII at home now.

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:10 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Jochenb wrote:
Welcome Stuart.
I'm also an X-E1 user. My 5DII won't be sold though.
I don't agree with Brody about the focus. The AF of the 5DII isn't fantastic, but it still destroys Fuji IMHO. Shooting an event with the Canon is so much easier and I never had problems with it.
That being said I really like Fuji. The colors are so nice, better dynamic range, better ISO performance,... and it's small/light!
I hardly ever regret leaving my 5DII at home now.

+1

The AF on my 5Dm2 destroys the AF on my X-E1. It's not even close.

Look, I use my 5Dmk2 for professional photojournalism-- which purely AF alone on the X-E1 basically rules out using the Fuji for that capacity in any kind of stand-alone way.

Also, I still think image quality goes to the 5D2. The canon produces wildly good results, day in and day out.

Yeah, high ISO might go to the Fuji, but I'm not entirely sure yet. Fuji totally overstates ISO sensitivity. Its 3200 is less sensitive than 3200 from other cameras.

Auto WB goes to Fuji. But natural color reproduction goes to my 5D2. Fuji has nice colors, but they're definitely not neutral.

I'm not so sure about DR, though my gut tells me the 5D2 wins. That might be because I'm still shooting jpg on the Fuji...

The resolution difference does make a difference.

In other words: No way am I getting rid of my 5D2. I love the Fuji too, but it's a different, more quirky, smaller, fun tool. Easy to carry all day. Great low light. Sharp files.

The day I can ditch my DSLR and get the same performance/IQ from something Fuji X-E1 sized-- without losing the versatility-- will be the day my DSLR goes bye-bye. Until then... nope.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:01 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Welcome to the forum and congrats to your new camera!
It would be interesting to here more impressions of the X-E1 alone, or in comparison to 5dII.
And post some more photos please.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:55 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

justruss wrote:
But natural color reproduction goes to my 5D2.

I don't know the Fuji, so technically you might be right, but "natural colour" and "5DII" are not words I normally expect to find in the same sentence. The 5DII does nice skin most of the time, but the colours are not very natural. Especially the red is not natural at all, and often not red at all either.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alba63
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

carstenw wrote:
I don't know the Fuji, so technically you might be right, but "natural colour" and "5DII" are not words I normally expect to find in the same sentence. The 5DII does nice skin most of the time, but the colours are not very natural. Especially the red is not natural at all, and often not red at all either.

I have been coming to the conclusion that looking at a 2 dimensional photo on a small surface (Print or display/ screen) is totally different from seeing a scene in 3d in real life. It is mostly looking at a memory of reality. Memories however are nothing scientific, but much more emotional.

The ideal of mathematically correct colours does not seem very interesting, what is - at least to me - more important is that colors are credible, photogenic and transport emotion.

To me, some brands do that very well, in order: 1. Fuji, then Sony or Canon.

Just by the way, concerning the reds, if you remember our little red billboard test of last summer, both cameras (5dII and d800) struggled with fire red, in a slightly different way, but yet....

Bernie

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:03 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Stuart wrote:

It's very popular to say that some camera produces film like look, but in my experience, *none* of it is true. Film has a very analogue look that cannot be replicated by digital. It's not about resolution and so these higher resolution cameras are NOT getting close to a film like look, no matter how much people want to believe it is true. I wonder if those who make this claim ever even shot film, or have evaluated film images next to digital. The difference is clear as day.

I've shot thousands of rolls of film and can spot the difference with almost unerring accuracy.

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:57 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

alba63 wrote:
Just by the way, concerning the reds, if you remember our little red billboard test of last summer, both cameras (5dII and d800) struggled with fire red, in a slightly different way, but yet...

That's right, but the comment was about Canon colours being natural. Personally I think that Canon makes their colours look a certain way, on purpose, but natural is not what they aim for. I think Canon biases very heavily in the direction of pleasing skin tones, even if their colours aren't my taste.

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Stuart wrote:
So far I'm rather impressed with the performance and quality of the x-trans sensor in the X-E1. Without having a low-pass/anti-aliasing filter, the sensor produces sharp, clear and detailed images that rival those taken with the 21MP full-frame sensor of the 5D Mk II.

I have no experience with the X-Pro1, and intend to keep it that way just because it has no anti-alias filter.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:33 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Has Adobe come up with something already in ACR RAW support department?

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:55 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Toothwalker wrote:
I have no experience with the X-Pro1, and intend to keep it that way just because it has no anti-alias filter.

Do you shoot a lot of fabrics?

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

mortyb wrote:
Do you shoot a lot of fabrics?

No, but that does not matter. Fabrics, brick walls etc. are no prerequisite to invoke aliasing; they only make the artifacts more easily noticed.

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:54 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

But how do you notice artifacts from an AA-less camera in your output?

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:01 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

mortyb wrote:
But how do you notice artifacts from an AA-less camera in your output?

Vegetation that looks like a crunchy mess is an example. The knowledge that aliasing is irreducible and occurs in any image with high-frequency contents (sharp edges in the scene combined with high-quality optics at their best apertures) is more important to me than the question whether it is easily recognized.

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:00 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New X-E1 owner joins the forum

Fair enough. For my use and output, I much prefer the look of AA-less cameras.

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:14 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password