Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon P7700 ??

SSISteve
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Nikon P7700 ??

Was wondering if anyone has the Nikon P7700 and what your thoughts are on the camera? I was looking for a smaller pocket camera with a bigger zoom and this one was on my short list.

Steve

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:49 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Nikon P7700 ??

I'm probably one of the few that like the "P" series of cameras. I don't have the latest P7700 iteration, but the size is similar to my P7000. I still use the P7000, and like it a lot for climbing peaks or descending canyons where weight truly matters. It's sharp and shoots raw. But truly pocketable, it isn't. It's big. You always know it's there - if you have a big enough pocket. Otherwise it has to go in a pack or fanny pack. Good things are raw, is super sharp, it takes the Nikon flash, has an 18-200mm equivalent lens, and has a ton of controls. You can also buy tripod mounting hardware from RRS for it. Bad thing is it can be slow, which doesn't matter for a landscape shot.

However, if I was buying today, I'd look seriously at the V1 closeouts.

And for a pockatable camera, the Canon S100 or so series is better.

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:44 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Nikon P7700 ??

There are better options:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2367736880/roundup-enthusiast-zoom-compact-cameras

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:38 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Nikon P7700 ??

I'm not a huge fan of the P series... I have a P6000 which was ok for its time, but nothing to write home to mama about.

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:48 PM
SSISteve
• • •
p.1 #5 · Nikon P7700 ??

ChrisDM wrote:
There are better options:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2367736880/roundup-enthusiast-zoom-compact-cameras

I had read that review earlier and when you look at the cameras they mention the P7700 seems to be one of the top choices if you want a longer zoom. The others just don't offer that kind of zoom.

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SSISteve
• • •
p.1 #6 · Nikon P7700 ??

lxdesign wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of the P series... I have a P6000 which was ok for its time, but nothing to write home to mama about.

I agree that the earlier P series were nothing special but the P7700 seems to have made some drastic improvements and is much much better.

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:14 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #7 · Nikon P7700 ??

Am definitely intrigued with the flash and off camera flash possibilities since it has a Nikon hotshoe

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:39 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Nikon P7700 ??

There's a general bias against the Nikon point-and-shoots (or compacts) for historical reasons. Somewhat unfortunate too.

The P7700 is better than previous Nikon compacts. Fact is, if you tested 10 'similar'ish' camera side-by-side in real word usage, you'll likely have this camera in your top 2 or 3. And it's going to depend on what you're looking for. If the size was a criteria, you'll go for one of the others. If the size of the P7700 was fine, then it may very well be a serious contender.

We had the Olympus XZ-2 near the top everytime, along with the Panasonic DMC-LX7 and Samsung EX2F (that contradicts DP review).

One thing you'll really notice though, when shooting with the P7700 for 30 minutes, you will seriously appreciate the ergonomics.

Just goes to show everyone's got different criteria against which they base their decisions.

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:48 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Nikon P7700 ??

SSISteve wrote:
I had read that review earlier and when you look at the cameras they mention the P7700 seems to be one of the top choices if you want a longer zoom. The others just don't offer that kind of zoom.

In that case the Panasonic FZ200 with a 25-600mm CONSTANT 2.8! Now THAT's a proper zoom!

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:25 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Nikon P7700 ??

Agreed!!!!

FZ20 had the best lens ever.

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:40 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password