Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Good Read on one of most iconic wedding...

mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Good Read on one of most iconic wedding...

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/royal_wedding.do

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:32 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Good Read on one of most iconic wedding...

Cool to read about it ... but what a freaking circus.
WOW
The way they had to photograph that thing was so far away from how I think a wedding should be shot it is almost hard for me to fathom it.
I do understand the need for such practices due to security, TV, timing, etc. but wow.

I wonder if either Kate or Will had any input on things (I am quite sure they did not), it would be interesting to here their opinion on their "wedding pictures".

I was reading an article a while ago that talked about how security was so tight Aspland had to use bikes and carts to bring in all his equipment over a couple days.

Also what is with the sepia toned shot on the last page? If he had all that stuff why not just pack a film cam with some BW and do the business the right way?

Oh well

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM
mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Good Read on one of most iconic wedding...

It is simply mind boggling to see the amount of planning that goes into this one. I'm more intersted in understanding how lighting part of the equation would have been worked out in this situation. I dont think any flash would have helped in this situation but would like to hear what more experienced people on forum thinks...

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Good Read on one of most iconic wedding...

If you do some more googling you can find Aspland's actual setup for the "formal" portraits.
Basically he setup his lights before hand (maybe a couple days ... do not remember exactly), setup the whole shot and put the names of everyone down on the floor with tape. He only had minutes for the shot so he had them all come in and positioned them quickly and did the shot. I think he has 2 different setups. The rest of the stuff is mostly shot with natural light except for some of the stuff of Kate coming out of the area where she got ready when one of the 2nd shooters had an on camera flash.

The only reason it takes a lot of planning is because of security, time, The Queen (haha), the amount of people involved, and the fact that they had little kids who are basically unpredictable.

Aspland was the "official" photographer of the palace for the day but there were like 80-100 AP/Getty togs there as well. A circus.

I mean seriously he shot them kissing with an 800mm! Then what does he do, drop his stuff get through security, sprint back, get through more security, then hope he did not miss stuff? He obviously had a handful of people shooting for him as associates and or seconds but really ... holy smokes.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.