Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Brazos County line

Kenj8246
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Brazos County line

The Brazos River, that is. Done to death, probably, but I like train tracks and trestles.

Brazos County line - TMax by kenj8246, on Flickr

Brazos County line - TMax by kenj8246, on Flickr

Kenny

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:46 PM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Brazos County line

Hi Kenny, I love the second image, but I feel some D & B on the pylons and the bank would lift this image a lot.

Cheers Ray

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:14 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Brazos County line

Neat old bridge, looks like a lot of opportunity there!
Douglas

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:22 PM
wclavey
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Brazos County line

Where along the Brazos was this taken? I like the perspective on it and I have tried to shoot a number of these RR bridges here in land between Houston & Columbus.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:29 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Brazos County line

I, too, like bridges, and like this composition.
regards, tom

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:06 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Brazos County line

Kenny, I like the first image.
Nice leading lines towards the bridge.
Chris

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Brazos County line

Thanks, folks.

Wes, this is on Hwy 21 west of Bryan/College Station on the way into Burleson County. Funny you should mention Columbus...fellow on another forum from around Tyler wanted to know if it was the bridge at Columbus. I had to google Columbus, didn't know where it is and, in doing that, I found there are some crossings of the Colorado over there. Need to make a day trip and see if I can get some shots.

Here is a shot of the Brazos River looking north under the bridge:
Brazos River by kenj8246, on Flickr

Kenny

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Brazos County line

Nice images, Kenny.
Not overdone in my experience, for sure.
My preference is for the second image- because of the overall balance and that I can see the river.
Are these with B&W film?
If so, you may have been trying to get the "grainy" feel. To me though- and for whatever the reason- the graininess is a bit too much of a distraction.
Charlie

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:23 AM
wclavey
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Brazos County line

Kenny, thanks for the info... it is surprising how far the Brazos meanders like that... I live just east of Katy and have been to most of the RR bridges out this way... there are more if you expand the rivers to include the Colorado and other tributaries in addition to the Brazos. If you decide to come over this way and shoot sometime, drop me an email or a PM... there are 4-5 of us who go out on local photo expeditions and shoot... some film, some digital, some both, all formats... and almost always in B&W. We're always looking for someone to shoot with.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Brazos County line

Cool, sounds like a plan, Wes. I know a guy from Stafford named Jim who I used to meet at Brazos Bend SP when I was shooting more macro/closeup. I'm pretty much just shooting film nowadays, darn near hopelessly addicted. I develop and scan my own so it's safe to say that I enjoy the process.

Speaking of the Colorado, I need to try to shoot the bridge(s) in Bastrop; my son lives in Austin so I get over that way fairly often.

Kenny

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:42 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Brazos County line

Charlie Shugart wrote:
...these with B&W film?
If so, you may have been trying to get the "grainy" feel. To me though- and for whatever the reason- the graininess is a bit too much of a distraction.
Charlie

Yeah, Charlie, b&w film, either C41 or Tmax. I have mixed feelings about grain. There are some shots that grain doesn't affect adversely IMO. Most of the time, I don't like it. At least, not too much of it. I don't have the 'darkroom side' of it down just yet. I know that, depending on the developer I use, more agitation is bad about raising the grain. That's one reason I've started shooting mostly finer grained films...Tmax100, Neopan Acros 100, AristaEDU 100(Foma).

It's a process.

Kenny

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:57 PM
wclavey
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Brazos County line

I recently converted from shooting film to shooting digital... about 3-4 years ago. I had shot & processed my own film since I was about 8 yrs old... that means about 45 years. I shot mostly MF, with some 4x5 and occasionally some 35mm. By the time I converted to digital, I had pretty much removed most of the variability from my development process. I shot Tmax 100 or 400 and Arista EDU 100 or 400. And I developed everything in Diafine, which I made 1/2 the strength as defined in the instructions, in a large Jobo tank on a roller base. All sizes, speeds, emulsions at the same time. Then I scanned them on an Epson 4990 and worked with the digital images. There was absolute consistency roll to roll and the developing process made the images a bit flatter than they might be in another developer, but it worked really well for the high contrast sunlight we have here in TX most days. I think that Tmax was my very favorite film in all the size & speed combinations it came in, using this method, but the Arista EDU was a good workhorse.

I keep it all, my film & film cameras, because I figure that in a few years, when I retire, I'll have plenty of time to go back to shooting film. But for now, my digital kit allows me to be most productive with the little bit of shooting & processing time I have.

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:26 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Brazos County line

I have more 35mm cameras than MF but I find I enjoy MF more. Those lovely large negs are just so nice. I have three Zeiss Ikontas, one a 532/16 with coupled rangefinder that I had CLA'd, very nice. Two TLRs, a Yashica Mat 124 and a very nice Mamiya C220 w/80mm lens. And two Fujis, a 'Texas Leica' GW690III and a GA645. Really like the 6X4.5

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:11 PM
popawalker
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Brazos County line

Those are cool Ken. If you make the run to Columbus be sure to head down 36. Between Belville and Sealy there are a couple of very small RR bridges made of stone. I only tried to shoot them once and was in too much of a hurry to do a decent job. They are closer to Sealy and will be on the east side of the highway.
I too have kept my olympus OM cameras, plus added a couple of MF ones, though I don't shoot with them as much as I should.

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Brazos County line

Thanks popawalker. 36, huh? I'll have to keep that in mind; 36 crosses 21 in Caldwell just a bit down the road from here.

Kenny

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:48 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Brazos County line

I love old bridges! Nice captures. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Bill

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:44 PM
wclavey
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Brazos County line

popawalker wrote:
If you make the run to Columbus be sure to head down 36. Between Belville and Sealy there are a couple of very small RR bridges made of stone. I only tried to shoot them once and was in too much of a hurry to do a decent job. They are closer to Sealy and will be on the east side of the highway.

I know where those are and the fact that they are stone makes them very different. They are on the way to my brother's house and I always seem to be in a hurry so I have never stopped to shoot them. That track there is pretty active, so you could get some shots of freight actually crossing them, if you have the time to wait.

I think the best RR bridge around this area, and it isn't photographed much, is on US 90 headed west out of Eagle Lake where the RR crosses the Colorado. (RR Bridge, Colorado River, Eagle Lake, TX) There is a small county park right next to the bridge; you can go down to the water level; and there are several different vistas of the bridge you can get from there.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Brazos County line

Lovely shot, Wes. I think you're on to something; that one looks a lot easier to get to than the one in Columbus. Gonna have to check that out for sure.

Kenny

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:39 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password