Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

John Richter
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

I went out this morning to shoot anything from macro on up. It's not raining here in western WA right now, so I wanted to take advantage of it. Any how, I see about 40 minutes before sunrise that there is a good chance for some color. So I went to a spot hoping to get there in time. I had to do some walking on a logging road. Well, I didn't get to my spot in time. So I shot where I was at and ended up with this scene.

My camera was on my fully extended tripod on the way back out. Cause, you know, you never know when you might see something to shoot. As I approached the car, my right foot hit some smooth ice. My camera and tripod went up in the air as I was trying to save myself from a hard hit. Damn! Save the camera! Golden Tate of the Seahawks would have been proud as I pulled the camera into my body to protect it from a hard hit on the icy snow.

I really need to put my gear on the insurance plan.

JBR

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:28 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

This is really gorgeous scene. I just love it.
In the mean time, I feel really bad that you had such a frantic event. I hope you and your camera gear are all okay.
I still remember vividly that I had a really close call at Adams Falls in Ricketts Glen State Park, PA.
Take care. We all have to be really careful when we are out. Our minds are just too much occupied with scenes to capture.

A Happy New Year!

-Kee

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:41 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

Nice colors, John. You have to be happy it wasn't July, or you wouldn't have seen the colors at all!

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:45 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

Thank you, Kee. I appreciate you looking and I'm glad you like it.

Me and the camera are fine. I was laughing out loud laying there on the ground. But only because I came out unscathed. I hope your close call at Ricketts Glen wasn't a bad one.

Happy New Year to you as well!

JBR

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:50 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

Hi Ernie,

Your right, we pretty much had a cloudless summer here in the PNW. Thanks for looking!

JBR

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:51 PM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

Hi John, Great colour and the mountains in the background give this some nice depth, and your story as well....I know the feeling, though at least we don't have to worry too much about ice over here (especially at the moment!)
All the best for a great 2013!
cheers Andrew and Debbie

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

I didn't mean that, John... I meant that even if there was all that color, you wouldn't have been able to see it through all the leaves on those trees.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:34 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

Hah! I didn't even think about the leaves on the trees, Ernie.

JBR

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

A very nicely composed image with great colors.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Aaron Cowan
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

Nice light and capture, John. Good save on the camera gear too

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:32 PM
LizzieShepherd
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

Well caught John! ;-) you did well all round! I had a horrid fall in near darkness in Mallorca this summer. Thankfully I'd put my camera away. My tripod took a battering but is ok. I was convinced I must have fractured my cheekbone but it seems they are quite tough! But it makes you think. It was certainly an interesting drive back to the hotel... I think we can get too caught up with our end goal sometimes? Lizzie

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 03:02 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:17 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

AMaji/Aaron/Lizzie,

Thanks for looking and the kind words. I'm glad you like it.

Lizzie,
Ouch! The cheekbone. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I'm glad you're alright.

JBR

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:57 PM
Pilgrimatic
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

That must have been Monday's sunrise.
A stunning event, and you captured it faithfully.
For a brief time, Mt. Rainier cast its own shadow across the underside of the cloud deck. Beautiful.

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:12 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

Hey John,

Very cool shot here. Very different with all those bare trees in the shot. What's cool is this is a sweet shot, but if it hadn't been that time was running out for it you would have passed it. Great job on making this work.

As to the slip and catch, nice work and from the sound of it Golden Tate would have been very proud of you. As to insurance, ever since my D700 drowned in the ocean I have been paying the extra money for 3 years of drop and spills coverage when I buy my gear. It's a couple hundred dollars at the time of purchase, but atleast I can have some peace of mind with that for 3 years, and I figure at that point I have gotten my money out of that piece of gear.

Jim

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:59 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

Oh a bad accident to get in to. Nice reflex of saving your camera first! nonetheless, you took an amazing picture.

Edited on Jan 03, 2013 at 09:13 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

Wonderful image, John.

You should use traction devices such as YakTrax or Stabl-icers on your boots. I leave mine on all day when I'm shooting snowy icy days.

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:16 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wrong Place at the Right Time

Thanks, All!

I appreciate you looking and the nice comments.

Pilgrim, I hope you got a shot of Rainier with it's shadow.

Jim, my gear such as it is, would only be about 6 to 8 bucks a month. I would have to compare it the the drop and spill for 3 years. Thanks for the idea!

Sozypozy, I'm glad you like it.

Jeffrey, I kep telling myself to pick up some Yaks but I keep forgetting. I'm over 50, ya know.

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password