Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

Shutterbug2006
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

chez wrote:
Jpeg or raw?

Raw. From 19.9 to 23.8 MB and i just checked the folder it created under My Pictures and there are twenty raw files, not six.

I'll delete those files and start over just to confirm the transfer time.

edited to add:
I just looked at the files again, there are twenty files, but I transferred them twice. It renamed the second set of files with a _1 at the end of each file name..

So I did it twice when I was testing the transfer time. I'll do it again though just to be sure of the numbers.

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:43 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

This wifi feature is the only thing that has me seriously considering the 6D over the 5D3.

I guess I have to decide what's more important, but I could see this being very useful.

Does anyone know the actual range of the WiFi with say an iphone 5?

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:45 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

cputeq wrote:
This wifi feature is the only thing that has me seriously considering the 6D over the 5D3.

I guess I have to decide what's more important, but I could see this being very useful.

Does anyone know the actual range of the WiFi with say an iphone 5?

Canon specs on their website says just under 100 feet.

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:55 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I am going to try the 6D and Wi-fi with my TS-E lenses very soon. I already tested around the house and it works quite well.

I got a mini SmallHD Hot Shoe Ball Mount:
http://store.smallhd.com/Store/DP4-Monitor-Accessories/Hot-Shoe-Ball-Mount

And the Glip Plus for the iPhone: http://www.studioneat.com/products/glif

This set-up allows me to take very low shots without getting dirty.

Here's the spec sheet for a new universal mount for smartphones, it's by Joby; the GorillaPod folks...

The GripTight Mount
http://joby.com/smartphones/griptight-mount/#features_specs

Video demo

#

FYI

WiFi on the 6D, the viewing feature, ONLY works for STILL shooting, video recording is not supported, video shooting can only use Liveview, be viewed with the camera's LCD...

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:11 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

Well, I don't know wtf I am doing wrong. I only managed to get WiFi to work the one time.

Now my computer and camera don't see each other for some reason. I've disabled the firewall on the PC just incase it has something to do with it, even though Canon's software added something to the firewall to let the communication through.

The WiFi on the camera is connecting to my router, I can see that happening. It's supplying the WPA password and making that connection, but that's where it ends.

Canon provides no utilities to let you see what's happening. My router shows it has assigned an IP to the camera. I've reset the router multiple times.

I'm throwing in the towel after wasting three hours of my time. I'll try again in a day or two when I can get a Canon tech on the phone. But this level of complexity for such a simple function is going to throw people for a loop.

It also appears the camera forgets the password so each time you disable the WiFi on the camera, you have to re-enter the passphrase again.

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Phil McNeil
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

Hmm, I haven't had to reenter password at all, setting up the separate nickname/profile for iPhone/iPad/Mac was pretty straightforward. You do have to jump into Settings on the iPhone/Pad to switch wireless to the 6D, but after a little playing around I am digging it. Great for eBay or Facebook snaps.

Also the low angle shooting possibility is great, it is working well for macro stuff.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:51 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

StillFingerz wrote:
Here's the spec sheet for a new universal mount for smartphones, it's by Joby; the GorillaPod folks...

The GripTight Mount
http://joby.com/smartphones/griptight-mount/#features_specs

Video demo

#

FYI

WiFi on the 6D, the viewing feature, ONLY works for STILL shooting, video recording is not supported, video shooting can only use Liveview, be viewed with the camera's LCD...

Thank you for this information; amazing, there are products for everything.

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:37 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

I use it regularly, and I enjoy it, but it is not seamless. Sometimes the connection can be a little fidgety to initiate, and isn't always the most reliable as well.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

I just got off the phone with Canon - it seems that my successful WiFi connection to my XP desktop computer was a one-off.

I have four desktop PC's and one notebook. The desktop systems are all using Windows XP Professional 32-bit. The notebook has Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Canon says that the WiFi option is for Windows 7 and 8 machines, only.

I just finished installing the Canon software installation disc on my notebook, rebooted, and... NADA. Called Canon tech support again, explained where I was at - and they're scratching their heads. The technician is sending a copy of what we've done to the next level technician, and they said I can expect a phone call in one to two business days.

While I'm waiting for their call, I'm going to do some more testing on my dime by swapping out the Linksys router I've been using, for a DLINk router - just to eliminate the router as being the source of the problem - as I've found in the past can happen sometimes.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

I have it working now. Instead of mucking around with my main home network router, I powered up an unused Cisco WRV-210 router and plugged it in temporarily to my notebook's LAN port to get immediate access to the Router setup page via Firefox at the local IP address of 192.168.1.1

I couldn't remember what administrator password I had setup on the Cisco router, so I pressed the reset button on the back for ten seconds and used the default user name and password of admin.

I setup the WiFi on the router with a password, disconnected the LAN cable from the notebook and connected the notebook via WiFi.

Then I enabled the WiFi on the camera and went through all steps necessary to make it connect to the router.

Then I started the WFTPairing software on the notebook, and BOOM! it immediately informed me a new camera had been detected. So, I selected the camera and pressed Connect and now the EOS utility and the WiFi functions are working properly.

To make sure though, I rebooted the Notebook computer, and tried it again. After getting to the desktop, I ran the WFTPairing software again (there is an option in the EOS Utility to add the WFTPairing.exe to your startup folder so it's runs whenever you start up - but I haven't done that yet.

The WFTPairing software didn't ask me to do anything. No camera was listed in the box, but the EOS Utility recognized the camera was connected and all the options that were initially greyed-out - came to life after a minute or two.

Apparently the WFTPairing window only shows camera's that haven't been "connected" at least once on any particular computer. After the first time, it remembers the camera.

So, everything is now working as it should. I'm about to connect my XP computer to this Cisco router using a LAN cable to see if in fact it was a Router issue and not a Windows XP issue. I'll let you know later if this was successful.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:44 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

wifi & GPS are the only two features that make me a tad sour on paying full retail on 5DIII. These will be standard and must have moving forward w/o a doubt.

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:23 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

thedutt wrote:
wifi & GPS are the only two features that make me a tad sour on paying full retail on 5DIII. These will be standard and must have moving forward w/o a doubt.

Don't pay full retail and put the difference towards a WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter.

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.