Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

Weasel_Loader
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

I'm very interested in the 6D and from what I have read, the WiFi is a big deal. Just thinking of some interesting uses and just hope it works as seamless as it looks.

I never had the money for expensive wildlife lenses, but with WiFi, I might get creative and have a nice remote setup. Maybe come up with a remote operated pan/tilt setup.

Any other ideas?

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

If I could buy the 6D sans WiFi and GPS and save 2 or 3 benjamins, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I've read a version without these features is available in Japan.

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:41 PM
tarheelmike

p.1 #3 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

I've used Wifi a few times now and it is pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what the developer at Shuttersnitch will be able to come up with regarding image transfer in their next release.

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:59 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #4 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

The WiFi is a big deal for me. I use it probably 1/3 of the time I'm using the camera and finding more uses for it all the time. I'll admit I find that surprising, I didn't expect it to be more than a playtoy, but the implementation makes it quite useful.

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:49 PM
XsigmaSD
• •
p.1 #5 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

I didn't expect to get much use out of it, but its growing on me.
I love being able to stop for a cup of coffee while out shooting, pair with the ipad, and browse though shots. The resolution is good enough to judge focus go/no go, and you can star rate exposures, that later show up in Lightroom. You can move keepers onto the ipad, but the software only moves jpgs that are "optimized" for your device, meaning 1200pixels and less, but is cool if you just want to upload to an online service or email. I haven't worked with the remote shooting capability much, other than to confirm it works.

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:55 PM
CanonPhotog

p.1 #6 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

I've tried the EOS Remote app on my Android cell phone a few times. Works really well. I can think of many times when that would come in handy.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:34 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.1 #7 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

Besides the novelty of new (for me) tech, I've used it after my family portrait sessions. I will pair a tablet to the camera, and have the family cycle through their photos, giving me feedback on which ones they like...which then helps in the culling process. It was a big hit!

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:50 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #8 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

mikegrados wrote:
Besides the novelty of new (for me) tech, I've used it after my family portrait sessions. I will pair a tablet to the camera, and have the family cycle through their photos, giving me feedback on which ones they like...which then helps in the culling process. It was a big hit!

so you can transfer pics to a tablet ?

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:55 AM
mikegrados
• •
p.1 #9 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

CW100 wrote:
so you can transfer pics to a tablet ?

You can transfer images to a tablet, but the way I used it was to simply use the tablet to review the photos that were on the card in the camera. Much like pressing the review button, you can view the image, rate them, delete them, etc. Review is at a lower resolution that what was captured, which speeds up the communication between the devices, but still transfers plenty of data for you to be able to tell if you 'got the shot.'

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:46 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

mikegrados wrote:
You can transfer images to a tablet, but the way I used it was to simply use the tablet to review the photos that were on the card in the camera. Much like pressing the review button, you can view the image, rate them, delete them, etc. Review is at a lower resolution that what was captured, which speeds up the communication between the devices, but still transfers plenty of data for you to be able to tell if you 'got the shot.'

So are you shooting Raw and then just selectively viewing some downsized jpeg on the iPad. How long does it take to view the image on the iPad?

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

mikegrados wrote:

Watch this demo closely, you can do an in-camera embedded jpeg review; not transferring any files between devices; nothing is stored to the phone/tablet, they are just used as a viewer kind of like like the liveview screen.

Except this viewer is used after-the-shot and they've added touch/pinch to the viewing features so you can move an image around to view the edges or any area, and zoom in and out; pixel peep; on smartphone or tablet, any device that will support an iOS or Android App.

The app seems to be quite a simple design, one that might be enhanced later in a future release, but quite useful now.

Canon 6D remote-controlled via WiFi-connected smartphone!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJeCIuPf7lo

Edited on Jan 01, 2013 at 06:08 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #12 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

I'm curious about the RAW + JPG settings and transfer times, too. A 6D may be in my near future.

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.1 #13 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

Gochugogi wrote:
If I could buy the 6D sans WiFi and GPS and save 2 or 3 benjamins, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I've read a version without these features is available in Japan.

I do not know how much a benjamin is, but given the price of tablets with wifi and GPS plus a ton of other things (like a touch screen, some amount of memory, etc), I would tend to expect it to represent at best $10 in the manufacturing cost of the 6D. I am quite curious why is there a 6D version without those features (my guess was that it would be required in some countries that would not allow, e.g., GPS, but that is obviously not the case of Japan).

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.1 #14 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

Xavier Rival wrote:
I do not know how much a benjamin is....

A benjamin = $100 US. Benjamin Franklin is on the US $100 bill.

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #15 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

I just enabled WiFi this morning and have so far managed to use Imagebrowser EX to download the images from the cam to my desktop computer wirelessly. It took ten seconds to download six images.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:35 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.1 #16 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

Could it be used, if there was an attached holder, for shooting from the hip?
I mean use your phone display as it 90 degrees flip screen where you look down on.
The holder could be attached to tripod mount or flash connection.

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #17 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

I am going to try the 6D and Wi-fi with my TS-E lenses very soon. I already tested around the house and it works quite well.

I got a mini SmallHD Hot Shoe Ball Mount:
http://store.smallhd.com/Store/DP4-Monitor-Accessories/Hot-Shoe-Ball-Mount

And the Glip Plus for the iPhone: http://www.studioneat.com/products/glif

This set-up allows me to take very low shots without getting dirty.

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:59 PM
godfather
• • •
p.1 #18 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

Fred Miranda wrote:
This set-up allows me to take very low shots without getting dirty.

And that's the problem with the world today...nobody wants to get dirty

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:05 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.1 #19 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

That looks great! Thank you!
Only I use a Samsung note, which has a nice big screen. May be I can find and use a carkit holder for that.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:09 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · How many 6D owners using WiFi?

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I just enabled WiFi this morning and have so far managed to use Imagebrowser EX to download the images from the cam to my desktop computer wirelessly. It took ten seconds to download six images.

Jpeg or raw?

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:58 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password