Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · i7 3770 vs 3820 for photoshop?

Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · i7 3770 vs 3820 for photoshop?

There's no difference. One just takes longer so I can get a better idea of how the code execution is scaling across the cores. It still does everything one at a time just like if you came home and wanted to process only 10 images. The trouble with processing only 10 or something is that it's so lightning fast on this Xeon system that I can't tell if the procs are even being used at all.

That said, I've come home with nearly 2,000 RAW images a few times!

sjms wrote:
yep I run out and shoot 6000 raw images and then batch process them a few times a week. I'm sorry I forgot about that.

And I didn't batch process all 6,000. Just created a large catalog to work with and then processed a few at a time in a few various ways.

Bifurcator wrote:
I don't think it's at all irrelevant.

I thought this was one of the better discussions on FM about buying computers! I'd like to continue a little with the Workstation thing tho.

Let the truth be known, PS CS6 even more than PS CS5.5 scales really well across multiple processors. People saying it doesn't are probably still using CS4 or maybe early CS5. I rather dislike LR so I dunno exactly but the versions I have tried scaled fairly well and Adobe has said they are making extra efforts to improve MP scaling in LR and PS. The CS
...Show more

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:38 AM
15Bit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · i7 3770 vs 3820 for photoshop?

Batch exporting large numbers of images from LR is one of the places that multiple cores really do get well utilised. In general use LR also scales pretty well, but does seem to have a bottleneck when it comes to noise reduction.

Bifurcator - if you feel like getting back into geeking for a day, your input to the recent LR performance scaling thread would be more than welcome - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1165920

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:13 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · i7 3770 vs 3820 for photoshop?

I will a little later for sure! Thanks for the invite.

Just to note tho, the CPU usage being shown was from displaying a before and after window with a buttload of adjustments applied - including NR.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:44 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password