Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

VilleK
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

Hi all!

Lately, I've been really busy with other stuff but I managed to edit two shots from the last studio session of 2012. Meet Soile This was her first time in front of the camera and my first time experimenting black on black portraits.

Old version. Scroll down for the updated one.

Old version. Scroll down for the updated one.

Comments are appreciated

Edit
New photos can be found if you scroll down to p.1 #11

Edited on Jan 06, 2013 at 10:29 PM · View previous versions

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:01 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

I'm not on a calibrated monitor right now, but esp on the 2nd pic, her black dress looks very muted. I'm not sure that I see any true black in that picture. I really like the pose on the second shot and I'm pretty confident you can give this a little more pop and it will look better than it does.

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Dneufarth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

I think these are lovely images.

A few suggestions for future black on black work.

In the first image you could use some fill light from underneath, a simple bounce card would do the trick--you don't want to eliminate the shadows, just tame them a bit.

In the second image your rim light might be too far forward, and could stand to be placed a bit higher.

In both images your subjects pupils are quite large, add some more ambient light to your studio setting to eliminate this issue. Setting your modeling lamps to full power will sometimes do it.

These are very good portraits.

Derek

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:13 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

Hello,

She is pretty, and that always helps a photo.

I am using a calibrated monitor and the exposure and use of light looks good in image 2.

In general, I think you did a good job on making these portraits, as they look as good or better than many "studio" photos I see posted here.

I like the expressions shown in both images. Good job on that.

I like the way the way the garment is shown in image 2 (good exposure and lighting).

The garment does not show as much or as well in image 1. IF you are concerned about how your exposure is working (or use of light) I think that image is weaker in several respects.

There are some things I think could be done better but these are sometimes subtle things and can be a matter of taste. I also have little time today to type so this is the kind of thing better covered in a phone or skype call where the subtleties can be discussed. But, I will point you in a direction.

First, notice the color of her hair in both pics. Notice the difference?

Second notice the posed arm in image 2. Notice how large that arm appears in the image? Squint and see what parts of the image catch your eye or dominate the image.

I hope these comments help you.

Happy New Year too!

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:07 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

As mentioned, check your WB to avoid variety from shot to shot

Pupils too large. Bring up ambient light in studio to avoid this.

Second photo is really black on grey.

In the future, best to avoid black on black. If both are truly black (as opposed to grey), you end up with floating body parts.

HTH

greg

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:05 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

I dont care for the crop on number 1......Like the lighting. As far as the hair and arm being out of whack, ridiculous....Steady, show us some examples.

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:21 PM

Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

Two nice shots and great comments so far. I agree, except for the last comment, which is opposite the others.

I'll just say the comments are "fine tuning". You've got some good work here and it could be even better.

In #1, I'd like to see some separation between the top of the dress straps and the background. I don't think having the black dress blend into the background is best.

In #2, that separation is there.

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:47 PM
VilleK
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

friscoron, you are right about the lack of pitch black in the 2nd picture. I intentionally raised the deepest black to a dark grayish level.

Dneufarth, we tried having a bounce card as a fill below but it made her face look wider. That's why I decided to pick this version without the fill. The rim light should be positioned higher as you suggested, but unfortunately the height of the small studio I have at my disposal is not sufficient for that. You are also right about her pupils. This is a common problem I have when working in that studio. Also thanks for the compliments

Steady Hand, thanks for the encouraging compliments I also like how the garment turned out since I generally tend to have a lot of problems with dark matte clothing. I think the difference in hair is just caused by different light modifier/direction. You are right about the arm. It is relatively big and bright part of the image so maybe I could bring the brightness down a bit in pp.

gheller, yea the tint in the 1st image might be a bit more purple than the 2nd one. The original idea was to use more rim lights to separate her from the background but unfortunately I had some problems with some of the lights and we couldn't do that.

Michaelparris, thanks for the comment.

Jim Rickards, thanks for the compliments On my calibrated monitor there is a small separation also in the 1st image but I agree with you that it's not visible enough and I could make it more pronounced.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Good stuff

Edit
New, slightly update versions

#1 with white balance fix

Smile by VilleK_, on Flickr

#2 with less washed out blacks

Soile by VilleK_, on Flickr

Edited on Jan 01, 2013 at 11:43 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:58 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

Many valid points here. But for me, black is the most elegant background.

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:53 PM
plsand
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

HI -
First, I like your shots - Second, the feedback that you have received is great -
Enjoy, and keep posting -
Paul

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:32 AM
VilleK
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Black on black portraits *New photos*

Thanks for your comments

Here are three more photos from the set: