Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

blueimage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

Seasons Greetings from Madagascar; I received a wonderful gift from nature this holiday by photographing wild Lemurs. In short, these unique and crazy cute critters are a joy to be around. They are prosimians, which means 'before primates' (monkeys) and after spending time with them, and seeing them get around in the trees, my layman translation is: Lemurs Rule and Monkeys Drool.

I spent time with just 4 of the 90 or so species - my favorite and targeted Lemur was the Verreaux's Sifaka. I also shot Ring-tailed, Brown, and Bamboo Lemurs. The Sifaka is special…not only are they adorable, but they have amazing skills in the trees…able to gracefully leap up to 30 feet from tree to tree…and walk (bound) upright on land with their arms extended overhead for balance. They will put a smile on your face…guaranteed. The alien-like visuals of them flying through the air, gracefully threading the thick forest - tree to tree, eventually sticking like velcro to a trunk mere feet away….then checking you out with a game of peek-a-boo…. what an indelible memory!

I was unable to get into the forest as early as I wanted, and the light was getting difficult by 8am - but I did my best by shooting wide open to diffuse the glare off the back-ground leaves, climbed a few trees for a better angle, and by using off-camera flash much of the time….way off….as I had my local guide direct the RT flash from a wide distance.

Techs: all images shot with a 1DX, W/ 500 f4, and 70-200 f2.8 II @ f4 and 2.8 respectively, iso 400, manual exposure - spot metering and slow shutter sync. Obviously, they are still in need of pp work to address the blown highlights, which I'll do when I return home…but thought I'd share some now.

Images 1-4:

Edited on Aug 03, 2013 at 10:19 AM · View previous versions

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:55 AM
blueimage
• • •
p.1 #2 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

3 more

Edited on Aug 03, 2013 at 10:19 AM · View previous versions

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:59 AM
blueimage
• • •
p.1 #3 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

+1
The dirt road out of the forest passed through a small tribal village - one which consisted of mostly unthinkable living conditions. An unfortunate type of scene I've seen before, and generally do not photograph. Then I spotted this family that stood out from the rest…they had a sense of order….and were comparatively making a much better life for themselves. Somehow, they had risen above the standard. I asked my driver to stop and I waved, saying hello to them in malagasy (salama)…then took this one image. I thought the image told a story and had a lot of small details that I liked….like the poster on protecting children from Malaria, the small Christmas garland on their storefront, the toddlers huddled with their mother, their togetherness, their wares, etc. But mostly, I appreciated their welcoming waves and the warm smiles they offered me.

Techs: 1DX, 24-70mm 2.8 II @ 45mm, f4, iso 400, 1/500, 0 ev, spot metering in the darkest area, Full Frame other than a small shave off the bottom. This was shot from the glaring sun into the shadows, and the 1DX performed beautifully.

Thanks for looking….. comments most welcome….and Happy New Year!

Jim

Edited on Aug 03, 2013 at 10:20 AM · View previous versions

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:03 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

A super set Jim. These are all very nicely captured. It's the first and last lemur shots for me, and the family shot is a nice way to end ~ Ron

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

What a special experience you had Jim. Photographing these incredible distant relatives must have been a fantastic if not frustratingly difficult proposition. The isolation of Madagascar has truly produced such unique wildlife and a group of creatures that managed to fill niches reserved for more common animals. But in addition, to see the human suffering, yet be heartened by one family that has tried and to some degree rise above is a another element of wildness travel that we can take some comfort in.
Here's hoping 2013 brings you many more incredible adventures and you can celebrate the new year leaping and "dancing" like the Sifaka. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of an island most of us know just from a cartoon movie.
By the way, I am hoping you caught a glimpse and image of a fossa...that is one mean looking predator!
Eric

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

Excellent compilation here James, their eyes almost go through to your soul!
Douglas

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:55 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

Lovely set James. Those lemurs sure are cute with the Sifaka being the cutest. Fuzzy and adorable. Love the last image too. Well captured and expressed.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:45 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

Wow James!!!!!!!

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:09 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

Super work James

Morris

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:16 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

very nice James

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #11 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

Great series. Thank you for sharing.
Lonnie

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

Awesome set Jim, happy New Year to you.

Rob

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:53 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

Sounds like a bucket-list adventure tome Jim... what a cool and rewarding experience.
Images are all terrific... I truly enjoyed the entire set. Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing with us.

Happy New Year
Kirk

Jan 01, 2013 at 02:11 AM
Merlinator
• •
p.1 #14 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

James, a place I've always wanted to go. Maybe one day.
A terrific set of shots. The last one is my favourite but the first one comes closel

Jan 01, 2013 at 02:13 AM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

I wish I hadn't seen these lovely images. I've been thinking about a trip there for years This might tip me over the edge. I may ask you for more details when you return. Look forward to more. Don

Jan 01, 2013 at 02:34 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

Fantastic set James !!

Birdie

Jan 01, 2013 at 02:44 AM
blueimage
• • •
p.1 #17 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

surfnron wrote:
A super set Jim. These are all very nicely captured. It's the first and last lemur shots for me, and the family shot is a nice way to end ~ Ron

Thanks for the comment & picks Ron....have a great 2013!!!

Jim

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:37 AM
blueimage
• • •
p.1 #18 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

eyelaser wrote:
What a special experience you had Jim. Photographing these incredible distant relatives must have been a fantastic if not frustratingly difficult proposition. The isolation of Madagascar has truly produced such unique wildlife and a group of creatures that managed to fill niches reserved for more common animals. But in addition, to see the human suffering, yet be heartened by one family that has tried and to some degree rise above is a another element of wildness travel that we can take some comfort in.
Here's hoping 2013 brings you many more incredible adventures and you can celebrate the new year
...Show more

HPN Eric,
No Fossa, that is one bad-ass dog/cat/other-worldly predator and I would love to shoot one, but I think it would have to be at iso 204,000 - and from a shark cage

Cheers...Jim

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:45 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

These are just terrific Jim!

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:22 AM
blueimage
• • •
p.1 #20 · Lemur family Christmas (7+1)

douter wrote:
Excellent compilation here James, their eyes almost go through to your soul!
Douglas

Hey Douglas, thanks for the comment...yes, those eyes had me at hello

Best wishes for 2013!

Jim

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password