Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs...

Ransome
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

I'm looking forward to renting one for a trip to Maui next month. My hope is to buy one if I can make it sing. I already have a couple of ideas. Thanks for the software links, I'll look forward to checking it out.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:57 AM
pizdets17
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

Does anyone know if LR4 would straighten out the 8-15 if needed? It used to on my ef 15 I used to have. You guys are making me want one again...

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:44 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

The 8-15 fisheye is a very versatile tool for shooting 360 panoramas. On full frame I can shoot 6 around and 1 up at 15mm, or just 4 around at 12mm. On a crop camera it's 6 around and 1 up at 10mm, or 4 around at 8mm.

Here's a recent 360 night panorama at the Salton Sea:
http://www.joereifer.com/words/2012/12/30/full-moon-salton-sea-360-panorama-on-yacht-club-drive/

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:35 PM
svassh
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

Mr Joe wrote:
The 8-15 fisheye is a very versatile tool for shooting 360 panoramas. On full frame I can shoot 6 around and 1 up at 15mm, or just 4 around at 12mm. On a crop camera it's 6 around and 1 up at 10mm, or 4 around at 8mm.

Here's a recent 360 night panorama at the Salton Sea:
http://www.joereifer.com/words/2012/12/30/full-moon-salton-sea-360-panorama-on-yacht-club-drive/

Thats really cool, how do you process something like that to allow for the gyroscope effect? Where you allow them to swing around the full 360 image.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

I really really like my old EF15mm f/2.8 although I get to use it very seldomly, perhaps two shooting sessions per year. But when I do, the lens performs great.

I feel that adding 8-15L to my kit would accomplish extremely little photographically over what I've got already, and the only real effect would be a removal of $1,500+ from my pocket.

Furthermore, as a secondary consideration, I do not like the look, feel and the hood of 8-15L.....to me the lens looks like an obscenely overpriced transformer action figure (toy).

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:19 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

I bought a 8-15L copy after I rented it for a weekend when my fiance and I went to Baltimore for the day. The lens stayed on my 5DII exclusively, and that's when I thought I should buy it. After about 3 months of barely using it, I eventually decided to sell it because I wasn't using it at all. It is a very specialized lens, and I believe I paid $1,500 for it at the time. So I couldn't justify keeping a lens like that in my bag just sitting there. I believe I took about a $300 hit when I eventually sold it (and it took some time for me to actually find a buyer for it).

-Nick

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

@svassh - After shooting on a panohead, the fisheye images are stitched into a 360 using PTGui. Other software choices are Autopano and Hugin. Then you need to put them in a player for interactive viewing -- I use Pano2VR. KRPano is another popular viewer. You can also output different projections of the completed pano, including the "little planet" example below:

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password