Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

lwrnclightner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

Just wondering if any owners wish they had gone another direction due to lack of use. It is indeed a specialty lens I know, but can't help but imagine all of the ones just sitting around not getting ample attention

I fully plan on obtaining one as soon as one comes available over in B&S forum.

Also, just to avoid the ol' hindsight saying..... What other fishes would be suitable competition to the L. I am really about to jump in with out any real hands on knowledge, so what might I be missing/bypassing by assuming the 8-15L is the bees knees.

Lawrence

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:33 AM
arthurb
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

The amount of use may well depend upon the body that you use. My 15mm f2.8 Sigma Fisheye gets a great deal of use on my crop sensor bodies. It provides a nice wide angle although there is some distortion at the edges to correct in post. On my 5d2 however the lens is a full diagonal fisheye and gets less use, the results though are spectacular. The 8 - 15mm would be good though as it will go from circular to full frame as it zooms in.

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:40 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

IMHO the 8-15mm is a very specialized lens, and will sooner or later suffer neglect.
Might not be too bad on a crop body, but anything in that focal range has to be somewhat of a creative or unique POV shot.
@ 15mm is not too bad, and can be used quite often
@ 8mm one has to look hard and it's very difficult to compose
what's left in between, does not shine as much.
I did consider this lens for a while, and tried it out.
In the end, I rather keep my EF 15mm, yes, noisy af, but light and compact - if I ever need the special look of a 8mm, then I will look for that as a prime.
In sum, I don't have it, but I can see it beeing neglect if I had it...

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

any fisheye lens required lots of creativity to make interesting shots. not everyone will understand idea and/or pay for that as well. getting bored too quick with it...

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

you know what they say about company and fish? They both stink after 3 days.

I'd agree it takes a special eye to see great fisheye images, that being said I always like to rent a fisheye of some variety once or twice a year just to have some fun with it. Works best, I feel, on short family vacations, maybe a long weekend to the coast, or the couple of weekends in napa we spend each year. I don't think I'd ever use it enough to actually purchase one.

Are you shooting crop or ff?

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

robbymack wrote:
you know what they say about company and fish? They both stink after 3 days.

I'd agree it takes a special eye to see great fisheye images, that being said I always like to rent a fisheye of some variety once or twice a year just to have some fun with it. Works best, I feel, on short family vacations, maybe a long weekend to the coast, or the couple of weekends in napa we spend each year. I don't think I'd ever use it enough to actually purchase one.

Are you shooting crop or ff?

I am shooting 1d3. I just pushed the send button, can't wait! I hope to develop that special eye and get to grabbing some good stuff.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM
looscanon
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

On my 5D I've found it the most creative lens I've ever used, but it takes a lot of imagination to use it correctly. I've taken a great many pleasing photos where I could not have gotten the kind of results with any other lens. I really love this lens and try to find as much use for it as possible.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:09 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

Have the 8-15 L fisheye which I use with 5D2, 5D3, and 7D.
Love the versatility. Circular fisheye great with objects such as
rotundas, greenhouses, flowers, etc. which have spherical or
circular symmetry. With flowers can get a "floating in air"
effect. Can get a dramatic diagonal full-frame result with above
FF cameras. Makes a nice wide-angle lens with the 7D.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:17 PM
anscochrome
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

I use this plugin in photoshop a lot to increase the versatility of a fisheye lens: http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_hemi.asp

with it, you fisheye can stand in as an ultrawide lens. Examples:

Here is the above scene shot with a 10mm FL at the same distance:

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:38 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

Yes, I agree that I thought I'd use it more. Outside of the NASA assignments, it's been crickets...

© Stan Jirman 2011

© Stan Jirman 2012

© Stan Jirman 2012

© Stan Jirman 2012

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:55 PM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

Guys those shots above are really inspiring. Boy I can't wait to get it in my hands. I haven't been this excited for a while!

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:53 PM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

On another note, for those who used ultra wides prior to using the fishes, did you find that the fish replaced the ultra wide, especially with the plugins like that Hemi. To date I have been using the Tokina 11-16, and will most likely keep it as it is a really nice piece of glass. But I just anticipate the 8-15 stealing most of its playing time. Or based on you all's experience... perhaps not..

What say ye?

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:57 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:58 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

Yowza! The images posted here are superb.... I need to use mine more often . Here is an image from the last time I used it in October.

No straight lines here

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:01 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

lwrnclightner wrote:
On another note, for those who used ultra wides prior to using the fishes, did you find that the fish replaced the ultra wide, especially with the plugins like that Hemi. To date I have been using the Tokina 11-16, and will most likely keep it as it is a really nice piece of glass. But I just anticipate the 8-15 stealing most of its playing time. Or based on you all's experience... perhaps not..

What say ye?

My personal experience - and that may be well different from others - is that I have abandoned extreme wide angles (12, 14mm on full frame) in favor of the fisheye. This started long long time ago when I got the Sigma 12-24 on my 1Ds (that's when most of the people here were shooting film, or weren't shooting at all ). I have found that the 12mm "normal" look wasn't as powerful at conveying the scale, the extreme angle, as I'd like it to be. In other words, if I wanted to deliver the experience of extreme perspective, the 12mm didn't deliver nearly as well as the 15mm fish. This realization dawned on me in Antarctica when I was using both side by side, and the picture below was the nail in the 12-24's coffin as it was simply not attainable with a rectilinear lens.

I got the 8-15 "just because" and sold the 15mm fish, but even so I stay now mainly at 15mm.

© Stan Jirman 2004

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:59 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

Two more - roughing it under the stars

© Stan Jirman 2011

© Stan Jirman 2012

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:10 PM
JHC
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

Hi,

I got the fisheye and use it as a wide angle lens for film as well as some pics. Sit in the front row of a high school band concert and film my son soloing his sax without some polyester momma walking in front 1/2 way through the show.

Here's a couple of examples (can be viewed in HD):

http://youtu.be/1qOYzM8xi2E

Here's their 1/2 time show...they use most of the field and you need a wide lens to capture it all. I've learned alot since making this clip and the photos need work; nevertheless, here they are...

http://youtu.be/Gn7xP0LMYnQ

A few fisheye pics from the faire. They are kind of soft, I think I had the camera and lens like 2 weeks before these pics.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:35 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

From our recent cruise......

http://images16.fotki.com/v377/photos/2/280699/6378367/image-vi.jpg

http://images61.fotki.com/v138/photos/2/280699/6378367/image-vi.jpg

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:51 PM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

stanj wrote:
My personal experience - and that may be well different from others - is that I have abandoned extreme wide angles (12, 14mm on full frame) in favor of the fisheye. This started long long time ago when I got the Sigma 12-24 on my 1Ds (that's when most of the people here were shooting film, or weren't shooting at all ). I have found that the 12mm "normal" look wasn't as powerful at conveying the scale, the extreme angle, as I'd like it to be. In other words, if I wanted to deliver the experience of extreme perspective, the
...Show more

Thanks Stan,
Without even time with the fisheye yet I am coming to this conclusion. From the examples you guys are giving, it seems the distortion adds something to these shots that straight lines would have lacked.

Taking in to account that there are plugins that can straighten shots out when desired, I think my Tokina 11-16's days may be numbered. I am thinking of putting it on the trade block for maybe a 28 1.8 to go with the 85 1.8 and eventually another 135 2.0 to make a nice little low light trio.

Thanks for your insight guys.

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is your 8-15L Fisheye suffering from neglect AND 8-15L vs ???

Here's an attempt to use the fisheye for season appropriate images - specialized lens indeed.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1175761/0#11217012

Db

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:34 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.