New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · My daughter's 1D

ggOk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My daughter's 1D

well, with fast declining older 1D prices, figured what better way to use my 1D2 than giving it to my daughter who now can comprehend (bit by bit) the basics of the camera.

yes, she's 6.. and I think 2013 is going to be a fun year for me and my daughter. oh yeah.. and of course, getting my daughter on 50cc motorcycle in 2013.

any suggestions for camera usage for 6 years old kid are greatly appreciated. not expecting much as long as she has fun with it.

currently, readjusted strap for her height. (CPS straps are too long and I may have to carry it for her)
it's in one shot mode with full auto.
due to it's weight, I only have 40mm pancake lens (thought price would be a good start)

I was so proud of her that I had to post on this forum..

/r
Andy

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:17 AM
Zander Alberts
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My daughter's 1D

Looks like she has already mastered back button focus...

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:28 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My daughter's 1D

That's a cute shot. But tell her to watch her horizons. She seems to be listing to one side

Also good you got her a hardened 1-series as I suspect she will put it through a few drop tests.

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:29 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My daughter's 1D

What 6 year old gets [older] professional camera gear and a motorcycle?!?!? This one!

I wish I was your son. That's really cool. Only thing I can think of is, isn't a 1 series camera kinda heavy?

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:31 AM
JesseShotland
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My daughter's 1D

I want to give my brother my old camera since I recently upgraded, but I don't trust him with it as he's only 9. You must have a quick learning and appreciating daughter!

a good tip I have is to get her manual focusing. It's good to get that in the brain at an early age.

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:37 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My daughter's 1D

thanks for your replies... I do have 20+ FD lenses with EF adapter but unless the camera is on a tripod, she's too weak to control/focus manually at this time.

Zander, no back button focus yet... she does have half press shutter concept.

drop test... urgh.. first one's going to break my heart.

it's heavy for sure but she does enjoy the camera and taking the photos... horizon may have to be fixed by me on LR

love the fact that what kids see in viewfinder is totally different perspective than adults due to interests, and viewing level...

/r
Andy

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:46 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My daughter's 1D

Zander Alberts wrote:
Looks like she has already mastered back button focus...

I know that was meant as a joke but it is no joke getting people to learn how to use that button.

Lovely daughter you have there Andy.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:58 AM
fpoly

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My daughter's 1D

You should take a low weight camera.
A canon 350d or 400d plus a 1,8/50mm does not cost much money at e-bay or from other sites.
Children do not want much theory, they want to see fast results.

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:20 AM
tived
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My daughter's 1D

I let my daughter use my 1Ds back in its hay days! but it was too heavy for her, and it looks like your daughter too is finding it a bit heavy. But she sure looks cute

Have a fab New Year!

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:23 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My daughter's 1D

Sweet, and look at the $$ you'll save on gym memberships

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:39 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My daughter's 1D

DON'T hold back! If she really enjoys it and wants to get into it, don't limit her on anything. Show her the differences in lenses, DOF, FOV, etc... Weight or size (or horizons ) should not be an inhibitor - there are plenty of grown men who cannot handle a digital rebel + kit lens without a monopod!

I have 4 daughters, my oldest shoots for me regularily, my second is getting interested, my third started when she was 6 also... by 7 she has shot with my 200/1.8+TC on a Mark2N body!

Great shots of her having fun! Keep that momentum up with whatever she wants to get into!

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My daughter's 1D

shots taken by my 4 year old, and her point and shoot
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8032/7984751853_4edba5394a_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8500/8330442660_d7d0731f88_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/8330442560_f20f4dfeb4_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8074/8329385043_efe5945804_c.jpg
a 1d2 is a pretty large and heavy camera. I certainly hope it does not get in the way of her creativilty. the first shot was taken with a nex 5n, and the rest with a small point and shoot. for my daughter, weight would be a huge issue as she has a hard time pointing my 5d,though I love how she really likes to shoot with the view finder.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My daughter's 1D

Holding that heavy 1D like a boss! Great job teaching the ways of the DSLR !

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My daughter's 1D

I think some of us got ahead of ourselves in the reply and the humor parts became confused. I think if the parent felt comfortable with camera choice thats spot meter on in my book xD

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Yeidyc123
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My daughter's 1D

That is way too cute!

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My daughter's 1D

Way to get her started early...here's my 3yr old assistant with the 1DIV and 400II

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/32/739832.jpg

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My daughter's 1D

Andy...here is a strap suggestion

If you get the Canon Pro strap...the one with the quick disconnect clips....then go down to your local outdoor supply place and buy a small section of strap (REI has great assortment) and then two opposing clip ends..and now you can adjust the length to meet her needs.....total spent...maybe $6 (not including the pro strap)

I did this with two sections (duo straps cost $8) and used one on each end of my camera bag (tamrac pro 12) and then slipped them through the seat belt mounts to create a seat belt system for my bag that rides in my back seat always....keeps it from sliding forward onto the floor....two quick pinches...and bag can be removed.

Good luck teaching post processing

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:29 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My daughter's 1D

Awesome... love this thread. My 2 year old has a fisher price camera and he's already pointing it at things, snapping off shots and saying, "Got it." Occasionally he tries to grab my 5DmkIII or one of my older film bodies... but we've been holding them back. he's got a 20D waiting for him as soon as he's ready.

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:43 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My daughter's 1D

thanks all...for all the great tips.. love the photos from the kids...

/r
Andy

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:29 AM
convergent
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My daughter's 1D

While I appreciate your ambition, I can't see how it would be good to have someone that young learning on a 1D. The sheer weight of the thing is going to make it really hard for her to learn good form. I would get the lightest DSLR you can find, and focus on teaching her good form and composition. She'll have more fun in the long run I think.

It is kind cute seeing her holding it though.

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.