Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

OK just finished installing ink, heads and software and making my first test print on this 44" carriage printer. Quite a project to accept delivery and assemble. But if you follow the directions one man can do it all except for lifting the carriage onto the stand (two strong men with a shoulder harnesses). The packaging debris is quit a lot of volume too.

This printer is handy in that it feeds and ejects the paper from the front. This makes sheet paper use possible without rolling the printer away from the wall (that's why I never used sheet paper on my HPZ3100). The interface with my Mac based CS6 seems to work well (although the Canon print utility only went as high as CS5).

The printer is at least 3X the print speed of the HPZ3100 and it also handles much larger files. Have yet to load photo grade paper to check quality. This printer has 4 black/gray inks and 8 colored inks (one more than the HP that had a glosser tank).

The 44" unit ships with huge 330mL ink tanks so, even after filling the ink lines you have 2X the ink of the largest HP ink tanks (130mL). So if you have the room for this 75" long printer it is a real value. All in all it makes my old HPZ3100 seem like a toy. It is a lot of money but not in comparison to a premium DSLR and lens inventory.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:02 AM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #2 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

Thanks for your comments. Like you, I've been working on a Z (3200 in our case), but a 24" machine. Having always regretted not buying a 44" format, I'm now looking to buy either the 9900 or the 8400. The 8400 is hard to beat for value, based on ink volumes included in a new unit. May I ask if you considered the Epson, and if so, what persuaded you to choose the Canon? Did you happen to buy from the eBay seller who was recently offering the machine for a good price, if I may inquire?

Many thanks, and great luck with your 8400.

John Caldwell

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:03 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

I still use the Canon pro 9000 printer and the Epson flagship flat bed scanner. So I was open to any large format printer brand. HP has discontinued their line (if you need more ink or more roll spindles for your Z3200 boy do I have a deal for you!). Not sure, given HP's corporate state of affairs, if/when they will have another big printer.

Pricing on all these big machines is really occult. The 8400 was the newest/greatest and, bought before 15 Dec, I qualified for $1800 of rebates ($800 for cross brand trade up and $1000 rebate/promo). Delivered to my garage the 8400 was $3050! I couldn't believe the size of the ink tanks! Every other deal I could find was $1000s more. Not sure what the current promos are.

The "Big Three" have competed on features with somewhat comparable print quality. The 8400 has one more ink tank (better blues) but no glosser. Canon says they lay the ink down in a special order-I will soon see. With the huge ink tanks (really no reason to buy the 24" model with smaller tanks-a few $100s more gets you 44") I couldn't resist.

Suppose I will miss HP's internal spectrophotometer. Strangely, the 24" 8400 will mount an optional spectro that will network with other 8400s to calibrate paper. But that only works if you have a huge shop with multiple 8400s just so you don't have to change paper types/sizes! My dealer made the point that a 3rd party external spectro wouldn't be discarded when the printer aged out.

The machine is drop shipped from a Canon warehouse. On site service is provided by Pitney Bowes for the first year. So your local dealer can demonstrate and smile otherwise... If you decide on the 8400 PM me for my dealer who are, knowledgable, straight shooters. They know their products and will talk about them.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:27 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

Ok, I just found out that the 8400's huge 330mL ink tanks are really "starter tanks." The "full size" tanks are 700 mL (about the volume of a std liquor bottle!). The 700 mL tanks are $300-each. So that's 42 cents/mL and a whole lot of printing. A full 12 ink 700mL tank set for the 44" 8400 is $3600-more than I paid for this huge complex printer. Gosh, I hope Canon can make a profit on the ink!

As a comparison a little 13" carriage Canon 9500 uses 10 tiny 12/13mL tanks @ approx $13+ which is about $1/mL. There's lots more waste too when the tanks are changed much more often. So the 8400 has about 40% (or less) the ink cost compared its consumer printer.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:52 PM
vraspa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

I use a Canon 8300 and an Epson 9900. I prefer thr Epson. Just paid 1600.00 to have the Canon repaired after 1.5 years. Canon 330 carts are 170.00 vs. Epson at 128.00

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Photobufff

p.1 #6 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

Wow 316 lbs! That is very heavy indeed!

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:16 PM
keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #7 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

Here's one of those larger 700ml carts compared to a UK 1 pint (20 fl.oz 568ml) bottle of milk ;-)

It's from the notes I've been keeping about using our 8300.
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/canon_ipf8300.html

I'm curious as to what's changed in the 8400. Canon UK have said that they will be sending a 6400 for me to review, but that turns up when it turns up ;-)

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:19 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

My impression is that the change is not much. The reason I bought the 8400 new was the $1800 rebate deal which seemed even cheaper than less current machines. Thanks for the reference to the 8300 review. The full 8400 manual runs over 1000 pages-I have a lot to learn! Sure hope I won't be yearning for an Epson (or any other big printer for quite some while).

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:06 AM
keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #9 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

I mentioned the prices you are seeing in the US to someone in Canon UK, and they were astounded...

It seems that Canon US get their printers from Canon Japan, whilst Canon UK have to get theirs from Canon Europe, who get them from Japan.

Even if you allow for multiple currency conversions and the vagaries of taxes, it seems that someone is coining it somewhere ;-)

That said, the 6400 is in short supply here due to lots of people wanting one, now it's got the bigger cartridges than the 6300

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:33 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

I just made my first print on, good but not great, glossy paper. Compared to the HPZ3100 the hand off from the MacPro to the 8400, for a 208MB file, is a bit faster but the printing is a whole lot faster. I didn't time it but it seems to be 3X/4X faster.

I printed an image of a Flamenco dancer in a black dress with red flowers on a black background. The blacks are deep and glossy and there is good separation between the dress and BG. The red flowers are as near red as I have seen on an inkjet. The flesh tones were well balanced on this unprofiled paper. But the big deal for me is that without a glosser tank there is no touch of metarism. So I get an extra color ink tank (blue) for better color rendition.

The controls are more logical and responsive and the Canon plug-in for Photoshop (I use CS-6 even though the latest Canon version was CS5) is a great improvement over the creaky Mac software HP used. I never was able to print much above a 250Mb file on the HP (although now I have been told the HP will do it just don't watch 'cause it takes so long you are sure it will never happen). I am told the 8400 handles multi GB files with ease. Really pleased with myself that I bought the 44" carriage.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #11 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

Just one caveat about the 'handles multi GB files with ease' aspects...

Treat many of these sort of statements as 'unverified' - there are all kinds of 'gotchas' waiting once you start printing big and at high resolution. I noted many of these when I produced a 14 metre long print on an 8300 last year from what initially was a file of over 21GB...

There is a longish write up of all the problems and challenges at
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/14m_pano_print.html

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:24 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

I hadn't consided files over 5 gB but am glad for the info.

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:54 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

I made a 24" X 66" print of a friend's very hi detail (over 1 Gb landscape stitched) pano. Really exceptional detail even under loupe magnification and fine colors. I am convinced that no glosser tank is necessary and that the extra blue ink tank is an asset.

My friend, no slouch at printer lore, tells me that although the 8400 looks like the 8300 there are substantial improvements inside-not the least of which is the, easy to use, Canon plug-in for PhotoShop. We both were impressed at the speed with which the print came out of the printer and the general no buggy ease of use. This is large format print where the drama is on the print not the process.

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:54 AM
keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #14 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

Thanks I'll be sure to look at the software changes when Canon find me a 6400 to look at - the PS plugin is pretty good on the 8300, and I know that some time after the x300 range came out, they updated the x100 software

Jan 09, 2013 at 09:50 AM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #15 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

Again, this for sharing your experiences with the 8400. If you would, can you comment of handling of cut sheet materials? If so, what sizes have you tried?

Many thanks,

John Caldwell

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:39 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #16 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

John Caldwell wrote:
Again, this for sharing your experiences with the 8400. If you would, can you comment of handling of cut sheet materials? If so, what sizes have you tried?
John Caldwell

Yes, I would be interested in its cut sheet handling. One of the reasons for going with Epson 44 inch printers is the stright through (actually almost straight down) feed path.

For anything up to 24 x 26 inches, I prefer sheets

Brian A

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:08 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

Honestly, I haven't tried cut sheets. The HP was so crazy (you had to load from the back and even then it was dicey) that I just got out of the cut sheet habit for larger than 13X19" (on my Canon Pro 9000). I do have three 8400 roll spindles so I can switch roll paper types and widths easily. However, the 8400 has front feed for cut sheet paper and, I would assume, would load/print much like the 8300??

I am certainly not the expert on this huge machine. When I used the Z3100 I would make 24x30/36" prints max (except for the occassional Pano with a wider aspect ratio). For smaller prints I would make the longest dimension 24" or smaller and trim. I did buy quite a stock of exotic papers (RedRiver Pearl, Pictorico, Hammule, etc) as well as the garden variety of high quality glossy. I will be looking to use up my stock of 24" paper and not frighten too many people with 44' wide pictures of themselves (I photogragh mostly Flamenco Dancers).

My Pano friend is coming over to make more big prints. We may load up a 44" roll. But, to be sure, you have to know where you are mounting the print (I don't have a giant clean room and dry mount equipment although I did buy a RotaTrim 54" paper cutter), how you will get it there (rolled inside of a giant cardboard cylinder?), and then transport the mounted print to the display area-undamaged.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:31 AM
keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #18 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

I have a stack of A1 sized tissue paper for wrapping prints for local delivery. For large prints I had a number of 8" diameter x 46" long shipping tubes made (with plastic end caps). These worked out at under 10 a go and have been used for shipping to the US.

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:22 AM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #19 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

keith_cooper wrote:
...For large prints I had a number of 8" diameter x 46" long shipping tubes made (with plastic end caps). These worked out at under 10 a go and have been used for shipping to the US.

Keith, May I ask about the construction of the tubes and end caps, please? What materials were used?

John Caldwell

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:09 PM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #20 · Canon iPF8400 first impressions.

SoundHound wrote:
Honestly, I haven't tried cut sheets.

SoundHound, If you do get around to sheet media please chime in. I too come from a Z-series ownership, and like you, found the sheet handling pretty marginal.

Thanks for your updates,

John Caldwell

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password