Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Maui Location Ideas?

MDBarrett
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Maui Location Ideas?

Hello all,
I am heading to Maui with my wife and 18 month old in late Feb. Along with the humpback whales that I am sure will be on our to see list I was hoping for some landscape/seascape location ideas. We will be staying in Kihei but will have a rental car. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, we will be over there for a 9 days so I should be able to sneak out a few mornings and evenings at least.
Mike

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:10 PM
matcam

p.1 #2 · Maui Location Ideas?

One classic "must do" for most folks is the trip to Hana. Beautiful drive with more waterfalls and scenic vistas than you can shake a stick at. Kind of a long trip for an 18 month old (figure all day out there and back from Kihei) but really spectacular.

If you go to Hana do yourself a favor and continue on for a few miles to the so called Seven Sacred Pools. As with many such places the area near the parking lot is hip deep in touristas but walk about a mile up the path and the crowds will vanish and you'll find yourself at Makahiku Falls. If it's flowing its a spectacular sight. Be sure to continue up the trail a bit more until you come to the top of the falls. Beautiful pools and a sheer 200 foot drop that will make your head spin.

While there are many places to stop on the Hana Hwy, I highly recommend stopping at a place called the Ke'anae Arboretum about 3/4's of the way to Hana from Paia. There is a wonderful stand of Rainbow Eucalyptus there that is likely the best in all the islands. If you are not familiar with Rainbow Eucs do a Goggle image search for these magnificent trees. Most of the Rainbow Eucs on the islands are on golf courses or other formal settings but these are in a natural setting and I think much more photogenic.

Two somewhat out of the box suggestions for central Maui which will be fairly close to you in Kihei - The first is the surfboard fence in Haiku (somewhat difficult to find but you can get directions from Google). For something a little different check out the Paia Zen Cemetery just outside Paia on the way to Hana. Beautiful headstones with Asian inscriptions going back a hundred years or so all on a small cliff above the ocean. A good place for sunrise not too far from Kihei is the 'Iao Needle.

I also highly recommend driving around the northwest part of the island. The road is very narrow and twisting, much like the Hana Highway, but this is nearly deserted. Two stops I recommend on this road are the Nakalele Blowhole which is a large geyser formed by waves crashing through a hole in the lava bench on the shoreline and Kahakuloa Head which resembles somewhat Half Dome at Yosemite. This area feels very remote and there's a beautiful old church that makes a perfect foreground for shots of the Head.

While you're on the west side be sure to stop at Kapalua Bay. It's been named the best beach on the planet a time or two in Conde Nast magazine and the sunsets here with Molokai and Lanai in the background are magnificent.

Enjoy your trip!

Matt

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:55 PM
baimei

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Maui Location Ideas?

Maui is my favorite. Keep in mind that showers are common in February, but it does provide for more interesting skies. Just to the south of Kihei, Ulua Beach is excellent, and farther south is Makena beach. The drive to Lahaina has many great views, including the overlook for whale watching. I saw too many whales to count this past February, some right along the shore. On the same drive is the Maui Ocean Center, an excellent aquarium.
On the other side of the island, don't miss the Iao Needle which is north of Wailuku.
For longer drives, there is the trip to the summit of Haleakala, with many spectacular overlooks. Start drving up from Kihei maybe three hours prior to sunrise or sunset. Either is good, but if you go for sunset, you can actually see whether the summit is clear from the base of the mountain, before you go. In February, it is possible for snow near the summit.
The Hana Highway is pretty much a day long adventure, but worth the efffort. In the winter, there is usually enough rain to keep the waterfalls going full bore. On the way to Hana, don't miss the Keanae Peninsula. Also, one of my favorites on the island is on the left side, just before Hana, Waianapanapa State Park. It has a black sand beach, lava tubes and freshwater ponds in caves complete with freshwater shrimp. There is a spectacular trail from the parking lot to the south, which is along the ocean and goes to a Heiau which is one of the largest. If you have the time and inclination, you can go past Hana to an area called the Seven Sacred Pools or O'heo Gulch Pools.
Have a great trip!

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:08 PM
MDBarrett
• •
p.1 #4 · Maui Location Ideas?

Wow, thank you so much for the great tips. I am writing them all down and will place them on my "must see" list!

Thank you!
Mike

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:27 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · Maui Location Ideas?

If you go further along the SE coast past Kihei you can check out La Perouse Bay -- part of a natural area that was the site of the last lava flow on Maui. Excellent place to get shots of the ocean with the lava flow, great spot for sunset too. The trail UP from the sacred pools is worth the hike -- great bamboo forest and it ends in a magnificent waterfall. Honolua Bay is also pretty great, its past Kapalua. Sunrise or sunset on Haleakela is a given, I would guess. I stayed for 3 nights in Hana, it was amazing -- lots of good stuff out there.
Paul

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:36 AM
Jase1125
• •
p.1 #6 · Maui Location Ideas?

Road to Hana - lots of opportunities (also eat a Mama's fish house; expensive but worth it. Macadamia nut crusted mahi mahi ) and get the banana nut bread and some pineapple wine at other stops along the way.
Nakalele blowhole at the opposite end of the island http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/nakalele-blow-hole.html
Ioa Valley - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iao_Valley
Haleakala - http://gohawaii.about.com/od/mauiland/a/haleakala_dawn.htm

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:15 PM
ucphotog
• •
p.1 #7 · Maui Location Ideas?

I'd like to resurrect this thread as my wife and I will be going to Maui in April. We'll be staying along the very west coast. I don't remember the exact town name.

Hana sounds wonderful. It sounds like the rain goes through March, so will the waterfalls still be running in early April?

Whenever I have heard of references to Haleakala, it has always been for sunrise. Sunset sounds like it might be better. My wife might actually join me on that. Are there bus rides up? Is it worth doing the bus rather than driving? Is snow likely in April?

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2013 at 03:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gordon l
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Maui Location Ideas?

I researched my visit there a lot before going last year. The waterfalls were not running as heavily as I understand they sometimes do but that also meant I didn't get rained on hardly at all. I went in January, when it's supposed to rain more than usual. You never know what you're going to get. . .

That being said, I can only direct you to My Maui Landscape Photo Gallery to see what I did and then you can see what's out there and decide how to spend your time. I stayed 2 nights in Hana and 5 on West Maui (Kapalua).

Here's a sample, from Red Sand beach at sunrise.

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:48 AM
ucphotog
• •
p.1 #9 · Maui Location Ideas?

Gordon: Thanks for the information.

And excellent photos! Now I am *really* looking forward to getting there.

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:38 AM
barisaxer
• • •
p.1 #10 · Maui Location Ideas?

Nice stuff Gordon.

Apr 02, 2013 at 07:32 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Maui Location Ideas?

Anywhere there is sand and sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd just do google images research.

Apr 03, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Arob1000
• •
p.1 #12 · Maui Location Ideas?

I'm glad I found this thread, thanks everyone for this advice! I'll be going to Kihei December 2nd-9th, first trip to Hawaii since I was a kid, I'm excited to go to a lot of these places and get some amazing pictures, I'll report back when I get back!

Dec 02, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Ron Bailey
• •
p.1 #13 · Maui Location Ideas?

The road to hana is one you do not want to miss. Make sure you have the sun at your back when you are driving in order to 'see' the best shots and get some great videos from a go-pro on the hood of your car.

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:20 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password