Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

curious80
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

My RX100 compact produces better results than what your crops are showing, so I don't think what you are getting is representative of what you should get from your E-M5.

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:55 PM
mrkon
• • •
p.3 #2 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

Try the panasonic 14mm f/2.5, for ~$160 on ebay, you can't lose. It's small, light, and quite sharp. The old panasonic 14-45mm kit lens is also very sharp, just slow.

If funds are not an issue, the olympus 12mm f/2, 9-18mm, or panny 7-14mm.

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:40 PM
jpeter
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

I don't know anything about the Olympus, but if you are looking for a Canon option and shoot landscapes, 7D would not be my choice. I own a 5d2 and 7d, each serves it's purpose. The 5d2 is a great landscape camera. Never thrilled with the 7d output, but it works well for me for birds and wildlife.

Looking at the sample pictures, I don't see how a different camera body will help. The ambient light looks less than ideal, I think adding to your dislike of the results.

JP

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:59 PM
802walker
• •
p.3 #4 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

jpeter, I know both pictures are horrible. I only used them as examples because they show the poor resolution I have been getting out of my OM-D. There is a great chance it's all user error. There is also a chance either the camera or the lens is defective.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Uncle Mike
• •
p.3 #5 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

The second image is soft because it's taken at 42mm and f/5.6. That lens is soft wide open at the long end. Stop down to f/9 for anything longer than 25mm.

The first shot is at 14mm. Unfortunately, the whole shot is not available so we can't see where the camera focused. Try using f/8, not because the lens necessarily needs f/8 at the wide end to be sharp (some may even say that the lens is sharper at f/5.6 at 14mm), but it will get everything in focus.

I think the 14-42mm II is an underrated lens, and as long as you stop down quality is good enough considering how small and light the lens is. It's better than the larger heavier and more expensive 12-50mm.

Also note that the focus boxes on the E-M5 are too large, and it will focus on the busiest object within the focus box, so if the focus box was pointed at the human in front of vegetation, the camera will tend to focus behind the human because the vegetation has more fine detail on which to maximize contrast..

Jan 01, 2013 at 02:16 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password