Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

802walker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

I purchased an OM-D about 4 months ago. It's a fun camera to shoot. Right off the bat, I'll say I'm still using the kit lens. I know a lot of people swear by the primes and the holy trinity - I realize they are much better, but I'm on a tight budget and haven't been able to pick one up yet.

I shoot 99% landscapes. I don't take pictures of people, I don't do street shooting, I don't do sports. I'm not a professional, I have made prints before and given them to friends, but I don't sell my work. That being said, I personally get satisfaction out of the landscapes I take and I want them to be the best quality they can be. I'm more of a hiker than a photographer, and my photos that I come away with are memories of my backpacking trips.

With that background, here is my dilema. I've never really been happy with the photos I have taken with the OM-D (all of them being landscapes). I'm not blaming the camera, maybe I just don't know how to shoot with it. I used to shoot Canon and still have my favorite lens, the 10-22. I have recently been considering selling my OM-D and picking up the 7D and reuniting with my first love (the 10-22). I was surprised to read in DPReview that the OM-D got a better score on IQ than the 7D. I don't really know what goes into that IQ score - but maybe it's taking into account all shooting conditions and all I really care about is landscapes. I want high dynamic range, high resolution, etc.

The things I have been thinking:
7D battery vs OM-D is not comparable. I used to use one battery for a week on the trail with my old 30D.
The weight is of course an issue - but with a shoulder sling - it doesn't bother me much.
Is the IQ for landscapes really better on the OM-D than 7D and I just need more practice and more experience with the m4/3 format?

Without jabbering for another three paragraphs....does anyone have any insight for me to consider? If you shot ONLY landscapes and weight wasn't the biggest issue, what would your thinking be?

Sorry for another what should I do thread...but I really take heed of the advice given on this forum.

Dec 30, 2012 at 06:26 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #2 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

Can you post some shots and explain what about them you are not happy with?

I have owned and used both cameras. I find the E-M5 output generally superior. It gives up a small amount of resolution to the 7D, but in return you get much better dynamic range.

I use the E-M5 primarily as a hiking/backpacking & landscape camera. It is generally acting as a backup to my full frame kit, but on occasions when weight is factor it is the only camera I take. I often put the tiny 14/2.5 lens on for hiking, and clip the camera directly to my pack strap (via the Capture camera clip system) for quick access while on the move.

I suggest you try out a better lens before giving up on the E-M5. Try renting something like the Oly 12mm or Panny 7-14. The 7-14 would let you do a much fairer comparison against the Canon 10-22.

Battery life is pretty good on the Olympus, but it is definitely a good idea to get a couple 3rd party batteries. The Wasabi brand are cheap and seem to be reliable.

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:01 PM
802walker
• •
p.1 #3 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

Thanks. You touched on another issue. If I'm not going FF, what's really the point of getting the 7D?.....That has crossed my mind as well. I got the OM-D for that exact reason; as a capable camera to use for the next few years until FF mirrorless is affordable.

In response to your question....the photos just don't seem sharp - at all. When I look around the photo at 100% they are straight out pixelated and sloppy looking. My camera also has that problem where it takes "blank shots" sometimes. Maybe there is just something wrong with the shutter or sensor. Or maybe I just suck at using it

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:06 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #4 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

802walker wrote:
In response to your question....the photos just don't seem sharp - at all. When I look around the photo at 100% they are straight out pixelated and sloppy looking. My camera also has that problem where it takes "blank shots" sometimes. Maybe there is just something wrong with the shutter or sensor. Or maybe I just suck at using it

An example or two with exif intact would definitely be helpful. Without that here are a few things to keep in mind:

-The autofocus "points" are pretty big, so precise focus can be difficult. Make sure you are focusing properly. Use manual with a magnified view if you need to.

-Be careful about stopping down too far. Diffraction can take its toll pretty early on such a high density sensor. I rarely go past f8 and very rarely go past f11 unless the need for extreme DoF trumps all.

-The E-M5 tends to underexpose pretty heavily by default, necessitating a push in post that can make some noise visible even at base ISO. Expose to the right.

The blank shot issue is strange. You may well have a shutter issue, though it is probably worth trying a different memory card.

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:23 PM
CalW
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

I have two E-M5 cameras and I have none of the problems you describe. All of the advise above is good, but I will add in priority order:
(1) I doubt very much it is you! Be positive - the problem can be fixed!
(2) If you only have one lens, it is possible that it is not seated correctly - if you have not already done so, dismount and mount it a few times.
(3) Try another lens - beg, borrow, visit a store, rent or whatever it takes. You have to isolate the problem. The kit lens isn't really great, but is not as bad as what you appear to be seeing.
(4) If you know anyone else with an E-M5, get together and go through the menus - it may well be that some obscure settings are incorrect. I have done myself in a couple of times!
(5) If the problem persists with any other lens, call Olympus support right away. I have not had the need to call them, but all experience I have heard has been positive. Because of the "blank shot" issue, I am betting on a shutter problem - I know of several early release cameras that had similar problems, particularly at high shutter speeds. The owners had new cameras within a week of shipping theirs to the Olympus service center.
(6) Give Olympus a chance - the E-M5 is a great camera.

Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 07:50 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:38 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

802walker wrote:
Right off the bat, I'll say I'm still using the kit lens.

But isn't that a really really soft lens for landscapes? The macro one right? I haven't used it but when I said how good I thought it must be after seeing a sharp-ish macro image posted from it two people here were very quick to say /No actually it's not very good and especially for landscapes./

So maybe that's the trouble?

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:49 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

802walker wrote:
Thanks. You touched on another issue. If I'm not going FF, what's really the point of getting the 7D?.....That has crossed my mind as well. I got the OM-D for that exact reason; as a capable camera to use for the next few years until FF mirrorless is affordable.

In response to your question....the photos just don't seem sharp - at all. When I look around the photo at 100% they are straight out pixelated and sloppy looking. My camera also has that problem where it takes "blank shots" sometimes. Maybe there is just something wrong with the shutter or
...Show more

Pixelated and sloppy sounds like low resolution, low quality JPGs. Are you sure you are shooting RAW?

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:50 PM
CalW
• • •
p.1 #8 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

I don't think any kit lens is this bad, Bif. No lens I have had on an E-M5 gave images that fit the description: "When I look around the photo at 100% they are straight out pixelated and sloppy looking."

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:56 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

OK.

I guess we need to see one. Post up a sample Mr. Bpark42.

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:06 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

Erm, you mean 802walker, right?

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bpark42
• • •
p.1 #11 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

Bifurcator wrote:
OK.

I guess we need to see one. Post up a sample Mr. Bpark42.

I assume you meant for this to be directed at the OP?? I can certainly post some samples showing my own results with the E-M5 if you like, but that is unlikely to help us get to the root cause of the OP's issue.

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:39 PM
802walker
• •
p.1 #12 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

Ok, here are some examples. These are not good pictures, but they demonstrate the issues. Maybe it's the AF, probably it's me, or maybe it's the shutter issue or I'm expecting FF results from the OM-D and need to stop bitching .

It may very well be that this is the most this lens can push for cluttered landscape shots. If so, I'm upset I decided to purchase it with my camera.

Also, I don't know how to make it fancy with the exif data below the photo like some people do.

100% crop

100% crop

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:53 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

Is it possible that the sharpness is somewhere other than where you expect it? In the first shot, it appears to be very sharp around the person walking there, but not on the right, on the foliage. How did you focus, and how did you shoot?

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:05 AM
802walker
• •
p.1 #14 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

carstenw wrote:
Is it possible that the sharpness is somewhere other than where you expect it? In the first shot, it appears to be very sharp around the person walking there, but not on the right, on the foliage. How did you focus, and how did you shoot?

Pardon my lack of proper terms, but I have the AF box as what I believe is the middle option. Not the tiny square, but group of squares - is it 4X4? I have IBIS on.

Regarding your specific question, even though my buddy is more in focus and pretty clear....those shrubs are at the exact same distance from my camera, no wind....shouldn't I be getting more resolution and better quality than that?

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:26 AM
CalW
• • •
p.1 #15 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

The Olympus M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 had the reputation when it was introduced (about six years ago) as being relatively good considering it is a kit lens. I have to admit, this is one kit lens I have never used. Like Bif, I thought probably an E-M5 purchased four months ago would have come with the 12-50, which I would expect to be a much better lens than this one. However I see that new, unused copies of this lens sell on the FM B&S for only $85 - not a good sign.

But the sharpness should never-the-less be better than what your 100% crops show. I note, however, that they do sharpen up quite a bit if done in two steps. I agree with Carsten about the focus point. In the second sample, the large tree to the left appears to be much sharper than the small tree in the center, indicating that either the focus point used was not in the center else there is really, really bad back focus.

Exposure of f/5.6, 1/100 sec and ISO 200 should be adequate as long as IBIS was turned on, although in the conditions I would have been inclined to use ISO 400 to get the shutter up to 1/200.

Lets go back to a question asked previously - were these taken with RAW data or are these JPEG out-of-camera? If JPEG, what compression was used, and if RAW, what processing was used.

Edited on Dec 31, 2012 at 12:58 AM · View previous versions

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:45 AM
802walker
• •
p.1 #16 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

CalW, these are shot with the 12-50 and RAW. Not sure if I've never shot a jpeg since I purchased my first DSLR. I upload directly to Lightroom 4. All I did for these was export from Lightroom in Tiff format. That is what I use to make any final edits in PS (I usually sharpen in PS).

In the case of these example photos, they aren't edited at all. I just exported from my lightroom library and uploaded to smugmug to stick it on this website to show all you good folks.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:49 AM
CalW
• • •
p.1 #17 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

Ah - with multiple focus points active, in my opinion you either have that multiple of chances of proper focus, OR more likely, that multiple of chances of improper focus. I prefer a single focus point, and probably use the 14x size focus point at least half the time. I feel pretty strongly that your focus is not being adequately controlled.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:50 AM
CalW
• • •
p.1 #18 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

Photoshop reads the EXIF as taken with the OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R at 42mm

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM
802walker
• •
p.1 #19 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

Oh wait.....hahahaha. Yes. These are the 14-42!!!!

It could very well be I don't know how to focus on this machine...though I never had this problem with my old canon gear. I've been shooting for 6 years or so. I feel like such a noob using this camera!

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM
CalW
• • •
p.1 #20 · Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

Lets see what other folks have to say - anyone??

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:10 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password