Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · A question about lens cleaning???

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A question about lens cleaning???

Eclipse works fine for me

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:49 PM
3iron
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A question about lens cleaning???

Sometimes you have to use what you've got.
Breath will work but IMO cleaning solution for glasses is better.
Lens Pen is great, so ROR
Rocket blower should be mandatory or at least some way to insure you have nothing "gritty" on the lens.
The most improtant thing prior to cleaning is to attempt to get all the dust, fibers, loose stuff off the lens before rubbing it. Use a new/clean micro fiber cloth or soft cotton or some cloth that will not scratch the lens.
Probably most of us have a kit we carry with us for cleaning. IMO, that is a good idea.
Best to you.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:04 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A question about lens cleaning???

http://www.lensclens.com/

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:33 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A question about lens cleaning???

breath and microfiber cloth works 95% of the time for me, but the tougher stuff I use Eclipse lens cleaning solution and a pec pad. If that doesn't get it off then perhaps there's seem sticky residue involved that requires a more robust solvent

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:29 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A question about lens cleaning???

drphilgandini wrote:
Nikon support advises against breathing on a lens:
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/07/nikon-support-do-not-breathe-on-your-lens-to-clean-it-your-breath-contains-harmful-acids-that-could-damage-the-lens-coating.aspx/
While human breath is mainly composed of nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide, analysis shows it also contains VOCs (volatile organic compounds) including isoprene, acetone and ethanol, methanol and other alcohols.
It's likely that your breath "works" to clean the lens because it's not like any other cleaning fluid. It's the same temperature as your body (98F) and it contains alcohols. The article above says it contains acids, which I would guess are just particles of saliva atomized in your breath. There's no doubt saliva contains acids--just spit on your car's paint job, wait a
...Show more

I got a good laugh out of this... ;-)

I know of virtually no photographers who baby their lenses when cleaning them. The breath and cloth method is the most common method by far, and it has worked without problems for decades. (Perhaps Nikon is worried about some sort of product liability if they say such thing?)

Another really important issue. Many folks who are new to this are way too obsessive about lens cleaning. I don't mean just in regards to trying to find specialized tools and fluids for cleaning lenses, but they simply worry way too much about trying to keep a pristine lens.

The fact of the matter is that a bit of "stuff" on the front element produces no visible effect at all on your photograph in virtually any situation. One exception might be if you have a lot of largish dust particles on the front element and certain low angle light comes across the front of the lens, in which case you might get a bit of something like flare. If so, take out your trusty lens cloth and gently wipe it off.

I carefully clean lenses with whatever soft cloth I have handy. Typically this might be something like a microfiber cloth, though I don't hesitate at all to use the sleeve of a cotton t-shirt. Yesterday I was out in the middle of a meadow filled with freezing fog when I noticed a bit of a smear on the front element of my 70-200... so I used a gentle wipe from my glove to deal with it.

Dan

Edited on Jan 04, 2013 at 02:52 AM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:29 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A question about lens cleaning???

RobDickinson wrote:
They got debunked and retracted that.

Yeah, I got a good laugh when I read that Nikon BS on some gadget blog. Maybe if someone had been mainlining lighter fluid from a plastic bag then spluttered onto a lens there might be a problem, but chemicals in the air of an average smoggy city are gonna be worse for a lens element than most peoples' breath IMO... even my breath first thing in the morning

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:34 AM
SweetMk
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A question about lens cleaning???

Maybe this breath concern came about during the 1960's, when any photographer in NYC that did ad work had 3 martinis right before they cleaned a lens.

I watched "Mad Men" a couple times!

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:22 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A question about lens cleaning???

gdanmitchell wrote:
Another really important issue. Many folks who are new to this are way too obsessive about lens cleaning. I don't mean just in regards to trying to find specialized tools and fluids for cleaning lenses, but they simply worry way too much about trying to keep a pristine lens.

Dan, I could be considered quite keen on keeping my lenses in a "pristine" condition.
Now, I began to take pictures with my father's Zorki and Leica rangefinders around 1956.
When did you start with non-instamatic photography ?

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:35 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A question about lens cleaning???

PetKal wrote:
Dan, I could be considered quite keen on keeping my lenses in a "pristine" condition.
Now, I began to take pictures with my father's Zorki and Leica rangefinders around 1956.

Neat looking rangefinder that Zorki, not to butt into your's and Dan's convo Peter...

But in the spring of 1968; location Tempe AZ, my 11yr old mits had an instamitc; with those plastic pop-on flash cubes; 4 flashes per cube; sometimes one or more just burnt up/out

My grandfather introduced me to the Polaroid Land camera and a Yashica rangefinder; two years later that Yashica was my 1st 35mm camera...those were good gears...you may have started shooting just a bit eailer than moi

As for lens cleaning...yes...after every shoot when a beach area is near...otherwise when required.
- Rocket blower; black n red, lens pens and varrious micro-fiber cloths...and hot air/breath

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:07 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A question about lens cleaning???

PetKal wrote:

<geezer alert>
Like you, my father introduced me to photography at an early age, though a few years after the dates you mention. I saw my first darkroom by the late 1950's and was doing my own black and white developing and printing by the late-1960s, which was also about the time I bought my first SLR - the venerable Minolta SRT-101. :-) I did use a box brownie camera when I was a very small child, but I don't believe that I have ever made a photograph with an Instamatic camera.
</geezer alert>

Now that the geezer-talk is out of the way, I'd rather that people develop whatever opinions they want to develop about my photography based on the photographs I make today than on the gear I can name from a half-century ago. And you? ;-)

I'll stand by my comment that "many folks who are new to this are way too obsessive about lens cleaning," but that doesn't mean that you couldn't also make the same statement about a small number of photographers who have done this for a long time.

Here is what is in my bag for lens cleaning: One small lens cloth.

Dan

Edited on Jan 04, 2013 at 10:35 AM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:22 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A question about lens cleaning???

gheller wrote:
Checkout the LensPens.

I think they now have some carbon dust that helps with a good cleaning

greg

yes, i've been using lenspens for quite a while now and i really like them.

you use the little brush first to remove any particles from the lens, then the cleaning pad (which has some magic carbon dust or something on it) which removes smudges and finger prints. then, if there's any carbon powder left over, you use the brush again to remove it.

as long as you make sure to remove particles first you won't scratch anything. this works for fingerprints, water marks, little stuff like that. not for mud or something thicker and more abrasive. but it's perfect for day to day cleanup, i think.

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:30 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A question about lens cleaning???

as far as breath is concerned, mine is composed of 10% nitrogen and 90% johnnie walker, which i find does ok in a pinch

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:31 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A question about lens cleaning???

Peace, Dan and Jerry. Trust me, I derive neither pride nor joy from the fact that I could be one of the longest practicing photographers on FM. In fact, even a fleeting reflection on it I find utterly depressing.

Edited on Jan 04, 2013 at 10:41 AM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:36 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A question about lens cleaning???

PetKal wrote:
Peace, Dan and Jerry. Trust me, I derive neither pride nor joy from the fact that I could be one of longest practicing photographers on FM. In fact, even a fleeting reflection on it I find utterly depressing.

oops where's that walker/wheelchair icon...Fred HELP...timewarp anyone

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:41 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · A question about lens cleaning???

StillFingerz wrote:
oops where's that walker/wheelchair icon...Fred HELP...timewarp anyone

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:42 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · A question about lens cleaning???

PetKal wrote:
Peace, Dan and Jerry. Trust me, I derive neither pride nor joy from the fact that I could be one of the longest practicing photographers on FM. In fact, even a fleeting reflection on it I find utterly depressing.

I had a similar thought as I wrote my reply. Though it did relieve me just a bit to know that there might be some who are older... ;-)

Dan

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:08 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · A question about lens cleaning???

Misery loves company.

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:26 AM
LDRider
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · A question about lens cleaning???

Monito wrote:
Using spit would be very stupid.

That is very bad advice.

Why?

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:33 PM
_SBS_
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · A question about lens cleaning???

Though not an elder, I only clean my lenses when I notice it interfering with my captures, or if there is an obvious obstruction (dust, mud, etc).

My friend who still shoots only film seems to clean his lenses more often then he shoots with them! But he is a bit OCD. He also always has "protective" filter on every lens...

For stubborn smears and oils Ive found blower, then breath and microfiber, then if needed lenspen, to work out fine. Ill be checking out ROR for when ever I have extremely stubborn smears.

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:53 PM
gregoryallen
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · A question about lens cleaning???

ROR and microfiber Cloth. Works every time.

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:10 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.