New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D30 files

bokap
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D30 files

Last night I was looking over old files that I shot with my ist digital, the Canon D30. A lot of the shots were really eye popping in how they looked. Very Crisp and perfectly focused. My lenses were 28-135 IS and 85 1.8. The camera had a small buffer that I was always waiting on, the focus was not very good under less than ideal lighting, so I sold it when the XT Rebel came out. After that I played the upgrade game, buying newer Rebels, a 50D, and now a T4i. The newer cameras always had improvements, faster, larger buffers, better ISO, my new T4i is really nice but I never get the files that just jump out at me like I sometimes got with the D30. Could it have been the small size of the files, did the D30 have a very precise focus system that may have not worked in poor lighting but was really excellent with a flash or outdoors?
I have never shot with full frame digital, though for many years I shot film SLR. Would an older camera such as a 5D or possibly a 1D MK II that I have seen being sold for under $500 give me the type of files that my Rebel cameras and my 50D could not produce. One more thing that I just thought of that could be a reason why my photos don't have that super focused and crisp look is that after I sold my D30, I sold my 28-135 and pretty much have only used EF-S lenses, though I still have the 85 1.8 which is still great but the files are not the same.
Thanks
Bob

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D30 files

D30 - those were the days

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM
BennyR
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D30 files

CCD vs CMOS?

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM
bokap
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D30 files

CMOS

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM
parquin

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D30 files

Yes, I had that camera as well. There really is something 'extra' about the images it produced. This was not true of the follow-on consumer bodies. (I've had a 10D, 1DmII, 5DmII, 1DmIV and 1Dx) The 1DmIV was close and the 1Dx is as good in that regard.

The 30D was not high res, not fast, limited ISO but the look of the images was spectacular. I'm very happy to have all the things it wasn't 'solved' but it is a particular delight to have that 'look' back

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:53 AM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D30 files

BennyR wrote:
CCD vs CMOS?

Only the original Canon EOS-1D was CCD. All other Canon DSLR's are CMOS. So what is it that makes the images of the D30 "Special"? (I have also heard this about the 10D)

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:54 AM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D30 files

Mike Sowsun wrote:
Only the original Canon EOS-1D was CCD. All other Canon DSLR's are CMOS. So what is it that makes the images of the D30 "Special"? (I have also heard this about the 10D)

I think the "fatness" of the pixels give the lower resolution cameras somewhat of the "special" look. There isn't a whole lot of latitude for cropping and re-sizing, but when the picture was nailed, it looked great!!!

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:22 PM
bokap
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D30 files

I am the OP. I thought it had to do perhaps with the focus system, which was slow but when conditions were right the shots seemed so perfectly focused. My newer cameras have been great, love the new T4i, but I have not gotten the same pop as from the D30. What about the D60 and the 10D? Would they have the same look? Have seen a 10D on CL for $80

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:29 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D30 files

bokap wrote:
I have never shot with full frame digital, though for many years I shot film SLR. Would an older camera such as a 5D or possibly a 1D MK II that I have seen being sold for under $500 give me the type of files that my Rebel cameras and my 50D could not produce. One more thing that I just thought of that could be a reason why my photos don't have that super focused and crisp look is that after I sold my D30, I sold my 28-135 and pretty much have only used EF-S lenses, though I
...Show more

Lower resolution sensors only appear sharper when viewed at 100% magnification. Downsample a higher resolution image and you'll get a much sharper image than what lower resolution sensors offered.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:30 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D30 files

Huuuuuge pixels do not reveal the limitations of a lens or AF system so readily. They do have that quality you describe but only in small prints or at 100%. Compare to modern bodies at large print size or, as noted above, when scaled on screen.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:44 PM
dholl

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D30 files

Mike Sowsun wrote:

reno.peterson wrote:
I think the "fatness" of the pixels give the lower resolution cameras somewhat of the "special" look. There isn't a whole lot of latitude for cropping and re-sizing, but when the picture was nailed, it looked great!!!

Yeah, I think pixel density might have something to do with it. Also back then the Noise Filter processing wasn't so aggressive. I've used loads of DSLR's, and my impressions can broadly be grouped thus (listing only the ones I've experience with):

dry, dirty, grainy, gritty, cooked, authentic sharpness, 3-dimensional:

- Canon 1D Mark 1, 10D (and presumably the D30 & D60 too)
- Nikon D1, D1X, D2H, D2X, D50, D80
- Olympus E-1, E-400

moist wet look, clean, plastic, sometimes a little flat, processed-looking sharpness:

- Canon 300D onwards (including 20D, 40D, 350D, 400D, even 1DII...basically all cameras after Canon figured out how to produce clean images)
- Nikon D40 onwards (including D40X/D200/D3000)
- Olympus E-420, E-450, E-3 (tho' not to the extent as Canikon's clean look, Olympus still retained a certain grittiness in the images, but they did lose some of that 'cooked' factor)

Obviously this is all highly-subjective. Most reports tell us that the 300D uses the same sensor and image processor as the 10D, but for whatever reason my subjective impression was that the 10D yielded drier grittier-looking output. Nikon it appeared were dallying between both looks for a couple of years until they also settled on the trend for clean-looking images with the D40. Olympus sort of went for a compromise (and in their case they even switched sensor manufacturer).

The reasons some of us have these impressions of older sensors are manyfold:

- in some cases CCD vs CMOS
- larger pixel-pitch offering a different take on resolution and micro-contrast
- older image processors using outdated noise-filtering algorithms, which kept the images looking gritty
- standard JPG's might have been compressed differently, or offered different colour processing
- a trick of the mind, nostalgia and power of suggestion

I never had all these cameras at the same time, so never got around to really testing this via a comparison thread.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:43 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D30 files

I was still shooting film during D30 days but bought a 10D when it first came out in 2003. Didn't think the image quality was special at all and kept shooting chromes side by side with the 10D and 20D. The 5D was the first digital camera that struck my eye as really special and I don't think I ever touched a roll of film after opening those files on my Mac. Although my 5D is long gone I still process and print the images and am amazed how well they stand up to modern cameras.

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:42 AM
Snead
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D30 files

I upgraded from the Canon G1 and was impressed by the improved quality of the images. Then it was a matter of selecting lenses and RAW software which was still developing. This was before DPP or Capture One. Later upgraded to 10D, 5D and 5D MKII. Cameras have improved over the years and I think my Canon G1X now produces better images but at the time, the D30 was a wonderful camera.

D30 June 2002

D30 June 2002

Jan 05, 2013 at 12:01 PM
bokap
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D30 files

Nice photos Snead!! Which lenses did you use?

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:53 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D30 files

I share the OPs sentiments. One of the reasons why the images look so sharp is that at that resolution, slight AF errors aren't seen. Same applies to lens deficiencies. These things will come to play when you have way more pixels and start looking at edge performance on FF. So on that level, the D30 had it pretty easy.

I just wish my D30 images were shot in raw - that came for me with the D60 and 1Ds...

Jan 05, 2013 at 03:42 PM
Snead
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D30 files

bokap wrote:
Nice photos Snead!! Which lenses did you use?

Thanks for the input.
For the Locomotive shot I used the Canon 28-105mm lens @f/4 and 1/45th using ISO1600
The lower picture of my daughter was taken with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 (Plastic Fantastic). I just joined the upload service and I probably should have reduced the image sizes a bit. Nrxt time should be better.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:15 PM
bokap
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D30 files

Snead, is it a requirement to post smaller photos? Both of your photos prove that you don't have to spend a lot of money to take nice photos. I never would have guessed the locomotive was taken with a 28-105. I have seen 28-105 selling used for very little and have occasionally seen the D30 listed for $100.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Snead
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D30 files

bokap wrote:
Snead, is it a requirement to post smaller photos? Both of your photos prove that you don't have to spend a lot of money to take nice photos. I never would have guessed the locomotive was taken with a 28-105. I have seen 28-105 selling used for very little and have occasionally seen the D30 listed for $100.

Well the suggestion here is to use 640 pix for the widest side of the photo and I didn't read that until after I post here. And yes the 28-105 was the first lens Canon lens I bought and I took a lot of photos with it. Another oldie that I still have and use from time to time is the Canon 20-35 F/3.5. It's all metal and a very good performer and works very well with both cropped and full sensors.

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.