Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Archive 2012 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation
  
 
Aaron D
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Hey Alt folks! Been a while and happy holidays to all!

On to the topic. I'm in need of a fast, wide angle MF lens I can use on my Canon XS (1000D). Looking for something in the 20 to maybe 35mm range. Must not be slower than 1.8 (how much slower is a f/2?).

Can you folks give me some recommendations on some decent (not talking Zeiss quality) but cheap older mf lenses I might be able to pick up in say the $100 or less range? Does such a thing even exist? Because I can't find much, even when searching in cm focal lengths. Possibly a vintage movie camera lens? I already have a 50/1.8. Not wide enough. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 04:54 AM · View previous versions



Dec 30, 2012 at 04:23 AM
teraflame
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


I get good results with a Vivitar 28mm f/2.


Dec 30, 2012 at 04:39 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


You can get some wide angle lenses in that price range, but not that fast. You can get some fast ~50mm lenses for that price as well, but these aren't that wide. The closest thing I can think of is the Minolta MD or MC 35mm f/1.8, which if you are patient you could get for around $250, but would then need a mount conversion. I sold one last year for $320 with the mount conversion if IRC. If you consider lenses that are just a bit slower at f/2, which is just a third of a stop slower by the way, then there will be more choices, but you will be hard pressed to find anything for an EOS mount that wide and even f/2 for less than $200.

Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 04:43 AM · View previous versions



Dec 30, 2012 at 04:41 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


35mm on your Canon XS is not a wide angle lens - it's well into (and a little beyond) the normal range. Are you looking for a wide angle on YOUR camera or an old lens that was a wide angle on its native mount?

Why do you need the speed? Trying to get a fast wide angle that's decent is not going to be cheap. If you are OK with a slower lens, the Olympus 28mm lenses (the 2.8 and 3.5) are great, and inexpensive.



Dec 30, 2012 at 04:42 AM
JohnJ
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Aaron D wrote:
.. Must not be slower than 1.8 (how much slower is a f/2?).
...


See http://photocornucopia.com/1046.html

It's about 0.3EV, a bit over 1/4 of a stop.

I'm a fan of the Zuiko 28/2.0 which I use wide open almost exclusively. It's an excellent lens. I payed about $130 for mine but you won't readily find them at that price.


Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 05:03 AM · View previous versions



Dec 30, 2012 at 05:00 AM
helimat
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Nikon 28/2 is not bad, and pretty cheap, but still wouldn't fit into your budget unfortunately.


Dec 30, 2012 at 05:02 AM
Aaron D
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


teraflame wrote:
I get good results with a Vivitar 28mm f/2.


That's about the only one I'm finding in my searches. But I only found one and auction has a while to go. What's the price range on this?

Steve Spencer wrote:
You can get some wide angle lenses in that price range, but not that fast. You can get some fast ~50mm lenses for that price as well, but these aren't that wide. The closest thing I can think of is the Minolta MD or MC 35mm f/1.8, which if you are patient you could get for around $250, but would then need a mount conversion. I sold one last year for $320 with the mount conversion if IRC. If you consider lenses that are just a bit slower at f/2, which is just a third of a stop slower
...Show more
Sorry, updated my original post. Already have a 50/1.8 and not wide enough. Hitting the $250 mark, I'd be better off finding a used, newer Nikon lens and using an adapter I'm afraid.

Jman13 wrote:
35mm on your Canon XS is not a wide angle lens - it's well into (and a little beyond) the normal range. Are you looking for a wide angle on YOUR camera or an old lens that was a wide angle on its native mount?

Why do you need the speed? Trying to get a fast wide angle that's decent is not going to be cheap. If you are OK with a slower lens, the Olympus 28mm lenses (the 2.8 and 3.5) are great, and inexpensive.


An alt wide angle on my camera mount, using an "X" mount to eos/ef-s AF adapter. Aware that 35 is into "normal" range, but would probably suffice. I have a Yashinon DX 28/2.8, but it's not fast enough. The subject lens would be used for indoor shots where I can't use a flash. My 28/2.8 is almost fast enough (and wide enough) at iso1600, but shutter speeds are still a little slow for decent handheld shots or where there's movement.



Dec 30, 2012 at 05:06 AM
mojoh
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


how about oly 24/2?
u get speed but not necessarily sharpness

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Zuiko-MC-Auto-W-24mm-F-2-Lens-EX-/300825856029?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item460a9e481d



Dec 30, 2012 at 05:08 AM
Aaron D
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


JohnJ wrote:
See http://photocornucopia.com/1046.html

It's about 0.3EV, a bit over 1/4 of a stop.

I'm a fan of the Zuiko 28/2.0 which I use wide open almost exclusively. It's an excellent lens. I payed about $130 for mine but you won't readily find them at that price.


Thanks! An f/2 would probably suffice then. That's not that much slower.

helimat wrote:
Nikon 28/2 is not bad, and pretty cheap, but still wouldn't fit into your budget unfortunately.

Thanks for input! I'm leaning towards just spending a little more for one. See previous post.

mojoh wrote:
how about oly 24/2?
u get speed but not necessarily sharpness

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Zuiko-MC-Auto-W-24mm-F-2-Lens-EX-/300825856029?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item460a9e481d


Hahaha! I wish! If I had that much to drop, I wouldn't be looking for an alt I'm afraid, and would probably upgrade my body first. But thank you.


Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 05:13 AM · View previous versions



Dec 30, 2012 at 05:11 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Unfortunately in this range, it's generally "good, fast, cheap": pick any two.


Dec 30, 2012 at 05:12 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Aaron D
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Jman13 wrote:
Unfortunately in this range, it's generally "good, fast, cheap": pick any two.


Yeah, I know this equation unfortunately. Same thing applied when my hobby was cars. Go faster? Reliability, more power, cheap....pick two.

But I have been fairly lucky twice now. Picked up my mint Auto-Yashinon DX for less than $20 shipped and Auto-Chinon 50/1.8 (almost new/mint condition and surprisingly good) and Soligor 70-222/3.5 macro (would consider a condition of 8+, clean optics, body shows little wear and again, fairly good) for $12 each. These aren't fast lenses, but produce good quality shots. Not Zeiss quality, but for an amateur like me, more than acceptable.


Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 05:22 AM · View previous versions



Dec 30, 2012 at 05:15 AM
flashinm
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Vivitar or Kiron 28mm f2 is your best bet. They're supposed to be pretty good too. Expect to pay $60-100.


Dec 30, 2012 at 05:19 AM
Aaron D
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


JohnJ wrote:
See http://photocornucopia.com/1046.html

It's about 0.3EV, a bit over 1/4 of a stop.

I'm a fan of the Zuiko 28/2.0 which I use wide open almost exclusively. It's an excellent lens. I payed about $130 for mine but you won't readily find them at that price.


Oh, and about that chart. Here's another good one I just found -
http://www.scantips.com/lights/fstop.html



Dec 30, 2012 at 05:27 AM
Aaron D
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Quick question, and I know the real answer to this (buy a real lens), but I'd like some info...

What about a high quality, wide angle converter / add-on to put on my Chinon 50/1.9? How much light loss could I expect? Would it be anything like using one of Canon's teleconverters? Because right now, since I need to use an adapter for an older mf lens anyways, I'm strongly leaning towards just getting a used Nikon 38/1.8 DX. In this price range, the optics are bound to be better than any older alt mf lens I can find for a similar or lower price. Unless I could find one of these Vivitars or Kirons for under $100, I think we could all agree the Nikon is the best route.

**EDIT**
And now that I see the prices of good wide angle converters, the Nikon route still seems best for quality. And sure I could save up a little more and get a lens that will AF on my body (would love that), but honestly, I'm impatient. And besides, my mf skills still need quite a bit of work. Really do like playing with older alt lenses though.



Dec 30, 2012 at 06:26 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Aaron D wrote:
Quick question, and I know the real answer to this (buy a real lens), but I'd like some info...

What about a high quality, wide angle converter / add-on to put on my Chinon 50/1.9? How much light loss could I expect? Would it be anything like using one of Canon's teleconverters? Because right now, since I need to use an adapter for an older mf lens anyways, I'm strongly leaning towards just getting a used Nikon 38/1.8 DX. In this price range, the optics are bound to be better than any older alt mf lens I can find for
...Show more

Just because the Nikon is newer does not mean that it is better optical quality. For one thing, keep in mind any lenses that is adpated to Canon will mean you are using manual focus. Manual focus, IMO, is much better on a lens designed for manual focus than on one designed for autofocus. Also keep in mind that this Nikon lens does not have an aperture ring, so you will need an adapter that allows control of the aperture. I think you will find that these are not cheap. The Nikon lens is a good lens and I think a great deal on a NIkon camera, but, IMO, not the best choice for a Canon camera. If f/2 is acceptable, then I would pick the Olympus OM 28 f/2, or the 35 f/2, or the Pentax K mount (first K Mount, M series or A series) 28 f/2, or 35 f/2, or the Minolta 35 f/1.8 that I mentioned earlier. The Kiron/Vivitar is obviously your best low cost option and is also a good lens. I would go with any of these over the Nikon and the high priced adapter it would require. They are made for manual focus and newer is not always better. This older lenses have very nice rendering. The newer lens with have two advantages: better coatings to resist flare and a more circular aperture which makes more pleasant out of focus highlights when the lens is stopped down. The older lenses, however, are more rugged made for manual focus, and have unique looks. So there is lots of choice. My advice and take some time and do a bit more investigation.



Dec 30, 2012 at 04:54 PM
U.C.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Jman13 wrote:
Unfortunately in this range, it's generally "good, fast, cheap": pick any two.

Samyang 24/1.4 has all 3 properties imho.



Dec 30, 2012 at 05:16 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Aaron D wrote:
My 28/2.8 is almost fast enough (and wide enough) at iso1600, but shutter speeds are still a little slow for decent handheld shots or where there's movement.


Shoot them at the shutter speed (1 stop faster) you need (slightly underexposed) ... then process from the RAW in PP. You're only talking about a maximum of one stop gain using a 2.0 lens. But, at 2.0 WA you'll likely be losing some resolution/contrast that may not be a significant gain over what you can do from a good 2.8 and good PP from the RAW ... at least worth exploring. Otherwise ... plan on some $$$ for a 2.0 WA wider than 28mm.



Dec 30, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


U.C. wrote:
Samyang 24/1.4 has all 3 properties imho.


The samyang is cheap for what it is, but it's not 'cheap' in this context, when the OP's budget is $100.

Yes, $750 is cheap for a 24/1.4, but its not cheap in absolute terms.



Dec 30, 2012 at 06:57 PM
U.C.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Sorry, missed the $100 budget. Good luck with that...


Dec 30, 2012 at 08:59 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need fast, wide angle recommendation


Yep. If someone finds an answer to the OP, then I would also like to buy a 400/4 or similar with great IQ for less than 300 Euro


Dec 30, 2012 at 09:15 PM
1
       2       3       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password