New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

russdenney01
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

So,

I have used the now discontinued LumoPro LP160 flash units and was very happy with them...same power as a Nikon SB-910 in a far less expensive, albeit manually controlled, flash.

The LP160 was cheap ($179) and really easy to operate and reasonably well made...but now it is gone!

Do any of you have a recommendation for a replacement manual flash with all the triggering options (the LP160 was quad sync!) I am looking for something easy to use, well made, and with good power output (for a speed light anyway). Price is not the most important factor but it should be cheaper than a Nikon SB-910...

Thanks.

Russ

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:44 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

Sunpak 622 are good flashes and they take different heads including barebulb. Quantum have some powerful manual flashes, but are spendier. Lumidyne and Norman used to have units also, don't know if they currently are selling tho.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:58 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

I like my Nikon SB-26, one just sold on Ebay for $80. Other than the plastic foot, it is as rugged of a speedlight as I have seen. I hardly ever use the foot. It is especially fun with the strobe and slave trigger.
I wish those two functions could work together!

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

Some good suggestions here...

I will have to research...

Thank you.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:49 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

SB28, SB80DX are both nice flashes from the Nikon camp with decent power that match (or best?) SB-26's. The Yongnuo YN-560 is pretty comparable to a Canon 580EXII; I have two and they are my primary lights.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

russdenney01 wrote:
...Do any of you have a recommendation for a replacement manual flash with all the triggering options (the LP160 was quad sync!)

It's the triggering options that will be hard to match; they LP160 was well endowed in that department.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:03 AM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

Was the LP160 replaced with anything or did the company go under?

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:06 PM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

Their press release made some comment about an exciting replacement...but who knows what the real situation is. They haven't provided any details on a replacement product.

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:52 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

badlydrawnboy wrote:
Was the LP160 replaced with anything or did the company go under?

Not replaced with anything (yet), but the company did not go under. You can still order their other products. I'm not sure why the LP160 was discontinued before a new product was out, but that's the way it is for now.

BTW, Kevin Deskins, the product manager for LumoPro is a member here -- user name LumoPro. If you have specific questions he may be able to answer them if the answers aren't confidential.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

Vivitars 285s

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:52 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

Even David Hobby has realized the logistics of using a monolight manually on stands with an inverter isn't really much different than manually triggered hot shoe flash. Yes it's a few more pounds of gear to haul, but the monolights have stand mounts, speed rings for mounting modifers, and far power and faster recycle times vs. hot shoe. Cost-wise you can buy a 320 WS AB800 for $280 or a 160WS AB400 for $225

The compelling argument today for hot shoe flash is PJ style shooting on camera bracket (with or without off camera slaves) any their ability to operation in ETTL and HHS mode when they are advantageous.

The approach I use is to own both and use the one best suited for the task at hand.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Look for strobist type flash recommendations

Wonder how long it will be before moonlights are ETTL capiable?

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:59 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.