Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Used gear pricing?

corndog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Used gear pricing?

Is it just me, or does it seem like the gap between new and used prices has been shrinking? Who buys _____ used w/o warranty for $2700, when they cost $2975 new to your door, with a year warranty?

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:53 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Used gear pricing?

Some people want to say a few dollars, and they do. If theres a market, the item will sell.

Dec 30, 2012 at 09:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Used gear pricing?

I just bought a LN lens for $1250 when the N lens sells for $1400. Why? I didn't have to pay sales tax on the LN lens. The 'to my door' price for the N lens would have been $1660. That's a savings of $410, which is 25% or 33%, depending how you calcutate percent difference.

P.S. that lens was a personal sale within Canada; otherwise, I would have had to pay tax if it was from a business and/or from outside Canada.

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:49 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Used gear pricing?

jcolwell wrote:
I just bought a LN lens for $1250 when the N lens sells for $1400. Why? I didn't have to pay sales tax on the LN lens. The 'to my door' price for the N lens would have been $1660. That's a savings of $410, which is 25% or 33%, depending how you calcutate percent difference.

P.S. that lens was a personal sale within Canada; otherwise, I would have had to pay tax if it was from a business and/or from outside Canada.

What you're talking about is a 25% savings, which is about what I thought was 'normal'. I've been seeing more like 10%, which I'm surprised people are choosing over new.

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Used gear pricing?

Yes, it's a saving of 25%. OTOH, the new one costs 33% more. Go figure.

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

redcrown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Used gear pricing?

Shush... please don't post threads like this. Used equipment buyers might read it and get smart. The more dumb buyers there are out there, the better it is for the rest of us to dump old gear. There is very little rationality in the used market (well, the new market too). Those who are rational have a huge advantage.

And FWIW, I think you are right that used prices as percentage of new are rising. The 70% to 75% rule of thumb is a good one, but largely ignored. Ebay is probably the main contributor to that. It's always been a sellers market. But poor economy also contributes. When times are tough, people will do anything to save a buck, even if it means losing two bucks in the process.

Dec 30, 2012 at 09:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Used gear pricing?

redcrown wrote:
Shush... please don't post threads like this. Used equipment buyers might read it and get smart. The more dumb buyers there are out there, the better it is for the rest of us to dump old gear...

Whatever you do, don't mention the Lens Price Database, Lens$db, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:45 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Used gear pricing?

jcolwell wrote:
Whatever you do, don't mention the Lens Price Database, Lens$db, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

Nicely done, Jim! A shameless plug, if ever there was one!

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:24 PM
redcrown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Used gear pricing?

Nice database, Jim. But dates are confusing. Is ".12-09" year 12 month 09 or year 09 month 12?

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Used gear pricing?

redcrown wrote:
Nice database, Jim.

Thanks.

redcrown wrote:
... dates are confusing. Is ".12-09" year 12 month 09 or year 09 month 12?

Perhaps you should read the documentation.

P.S. it's year-month, which is consistent with international standards.

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:17 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password