New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

I am looking at either the Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap system and a bit undecided.
I will be using it to more easily cary around D3 with a 24-70 primarily.

I am looking for opinions about these two (or if you have any other recommendations) especially if you selected one over the other... thanks in advance..

The Black Rapid seems simple attach directly to the camera or arca swiss platt and would lean towards the RS-4 Classic vs. RS-7 Curve as I want to be able to switch shoulders for longer walk/hikes.

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/classic

The alternative is the Carry Speed and I am leaning towards the FS-Pro with the foldable mounting plate. I prefer the slimmer strap and all the options get a bit complicated but with more time I would probably go with the slim strap and the foldable mounting plate.

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/fs-pro-camera-sling-strap-with-f-1-foldable-mounting-plate

I know the price advantage goes to Black Rapid but taking this out of the equation I am looking for some opinions.
Especially comments if the ball bearing approach in the Carry Speed makes it easier to carry.

I have read other posts about straps and it seems Black Rapid is more popular but it may have just been around a bit longer.

I do have a local store that has the black rapid that I will check out but as usual I can not see both products in person unless I take a trip to B&H

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Dec 29, 2012 at 05:53 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

Couple threads on this. Here is one.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1133988/0

I'm surprised the cost is leaning you to the BR. When I replaced my BR with a CS the price favored the CS plus I got more. I like the security on my camera more with the CS but they're both good systems.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

Make sure you have a lanyard as a redundancy with either; a simple cord will do.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:34 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

You get so much more with the CS strap that I will definitely recommend it over BR. Also, like Paul said, get a redundancy irrespective of which way you go. I opted for OpTech straps into the camera's regular strap mounts which then hook into my CS strap.

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:51 AM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

Thanks everyone... good idea about the redundancy...

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:29 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

I like the Cary with the new camera plate. You can go from a tripod to sling strap using the same QD camera plate.

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:11 AM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

Thanks, that is the way I am leaning.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:08 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

I like carry speed but I did some modifying I didn't like the plate with the ball. So I took that off and using the sunsniper ball bearing swivel connector to the lens or the body. What I like about this strap is it has a wide shoulder pad and a cinch. Although I never use it I like it

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:20 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

BR RS-7 will ding the hell out of the rear, lower edge of your Nikon D700. I got a SunSniper Pro. Beautiful, but, as the old song goes "the damage done." (Neil Young??)

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:42 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

I reviewed a bunch of BlackRapid straps as well as Carry Speed on my site (with pictures). Lets just say, I sold my BlackRapid straps

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:21 PM
RichCoyle
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

I like the second strap for the long telephoto lenses -- that's a big plus for the Carry Speed.

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:31 PM
sally1

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

I kinda like the CS FS-Pro.

Can I carry a 200-400 mounted to the CS with the D4 attached to the lens?

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:01 PM
jturn00

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

I've been following this thread and am leaning towards getting a carry speed. I already use a RRS L bracket though and the options for Carry Strap seem to only include a plate. Does the ball head detach so I can mount it directly to my RRS plate?

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:47 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

No, the ball head on the CS Pro only attaches to the mount on the CS plates- be it the F-pro or the one before it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:27 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

I got rid of my BlackRapid straps. Not because I didn't like it but because I also use a Spider Holster and I don't have to constantly remove the connection point. Carry Speed ball pin works with Spider Holster so all I have to do is remove the strap.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

I solved the connection issues with the Black Rapid by using the Arca-Swiss bracket I already had on my camera and an inexpensive clamp on the strap itself. Full writeup on my blog:

http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2011/12/20/black-rapid-arca-solution/

Pix:

br_fix640x480 by e24mpwr, on Flickr

20111220-143937 by e24mpwr, on Flickr

Untitled by e24mpwr, on Flickr

Quick, not fiddly and very secure (you'll notice that I added a safety strap in case I get the fumbles...)

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

There is a better and cheaper alternative to both of these is the Optech sling strap. It has 2 attach points and is perfect for your D3. I use it on my 5DMk3 and I am extremely happy with it. A friend uses it on his D4 and told me about it. The best $22 I ever spent.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=699658&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

Luma Labs Cinch is what all the cool kids are buying.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM
tajji

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

diverhank wrote:
There is a better and cheaper alternative to both of these is the Optech sling strap. It has 2 attach points and is perfect for your D3. I use it on my 5DMk3 and I am extremely happy with it. A friend uses it on his D4 and told me about it. The best $22 I ever spent.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=699658&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Agreed. Op/Tech utility sling is one of the best. I can use it with the L-bracket attached on my D4 and my friend uses it on his 5D M3. It could be removed in a second for tripod mount.

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:59 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Carry Speed or Black Rapid Sling Strap

I actually prefer the Boss Strap, because it's seatbelt wide and comfortable. Unfortunately there is not an easy way to attach it like the Black Rapid.

Now I'm using the Black Rapid system with the Really Right Stuff Arca Swiss attachment system (RRS camera L plate & mini clamps) and a Bos Tail for redundant or secondary attachment, attached to the L bracket on the bottom.

Right now it's the most comfortable, safe and handy way I've figured out to hang one or two cameras without using a neck strap.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-FAB-F&eq=
http://www.bosstrap.com/bostail.aspx

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.