Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Layers and Masks explained

KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Layers and Masks explained

Thanks Tim!

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Layers and Masks explained

gregfountain wrote:
Nice tutorial Tim! On the mask, does it matter what color your brush is when painting with it? I know when I copy and paste an image into a layer, I can use a black or white brush to reveal or hide the underlying layer. Wondering if the same is true with the masks.....

Greg

Ah fudge I forgot to add that. You want a white brush Greg, I'll go back and edit.

Tim

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Layers and Masks explained

Charlie Shugart wrote:
I am doomed, Tim, to forever languish in the still waters of digital nothingness .
I pressed ctrl - J and nothing happened. That was step #1 .
What did I do wrong? I use Photoshop.
Charlie

Did you have an image already open in PS when you hit ctrl-J? Did you hold down ctrl and hit J while ctrl was held down? I'm betting that is what you are doing wrong Let me know Charlie, I'm happy to help.

Tim

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Layers and Masks explained

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Did you have an image already open in PS when you hit ctrl-J? Did you hold down ctrl and hit J while ctrl was held down? I'm betting that is what you are doing wrong Let me know Charlie, I'm happy to help.

Tim

Yep- I brought up an image as though I was going to edit it. Then I held down Ctrl and pressed J. Nothing.
Just did it three more times- nothing.
Charlie

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:01 AM
nwadventurer7
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Layers and Masks explained

great tutorial tim...i actually understand it..lol bill

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:07 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Layers and Masks explained

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Yep- I brought up an image as though I was going to edit it. Then I held down Ctrl and pressed J. Nothing.
Just did it three more times- nothing.
Charlie

Okay how about this,is the layers palette visible? It won't necessarily be where it is in my screen shots, you can move it around. If you are not sure go to the top to the menu bar, click on Windows and find Layers in the dropdown. If it is not checked then the palette isn't visible and in that case click on Layers. Let me know how that turns out.

Tim

Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 03:01 AM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:43 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Layers and Masks explained

Charlie, if you have a Mac, you use "command-j" to create a new layer....

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:46 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Layers and Masks explained

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Okay how about this,is the layers palette visible? It won't necessarily be were it is in my screen shots, you can move it around. If you are not sure go to the top to the menu bar, click on Windows and find Layers in the dropdown. If it is not checked then the palette isn't visible and in that case click on Layers. Let me know how that turns out.

Tim

Tim- There's a limit to how much I'm willing to bother you because I'm such a bad detective on these things. I don't even know the basic terminology (i.e. the meaning of the word palette).
Yes, I have Layers on the regular bar across the top on my screen when I'm processing images. Along with File, Edit, Image and a few others.
Charlie
PS Greg- I use PS

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:02 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Layers and Masks explained

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Tim- There's a limit to how much I'm willing to bother you because I'm such a bad detective on these things. I don't even know the basic terminology (i.e. the meaning of the word palette).
Yes, I have Layers on the regular bar across the top on my screen when I'm processing images. Along with File, Edit, Image and a few others.
Charlie
PS Greg- I use PS

Okay, now we are getting warm Charlie. Along the top where you see Layers look to the right and you'll find Windows, click on that. That will cause a dropdown menu to appear. From that menu select Layers. That will open a little panel, that panel is the Layers Palette. Now if you click ctrl-J I'm betting it will work for you.

Tim

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:10 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Layers and Masks explained

Your help here is a wonderful asset to all Tim that need some nudging along😉

Most kind of you to take time for this....

Karl🎅

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Layers and Masks explained

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Okay, now we are getting warm Charlie. Along the top where you see Layers look to the right and you'll find Windows, click on that. That will cause a dropdown menu to appear. From that menu select Layers. That will open a little panel, that panel is the Layers Palette. Now if you click ctrl-J I'm betting it will work for you.

Tim

Okay, I think I did that, and I think it may have worked.
I'll go back to your main list of steps and see what happens.
If I don't respond to this thread again, it'll be because I'm out of Scotch and am not into masochism.
In any case, Tim, thanks for your help. The weak link here is me- no doubt. But I can (continue) to live with that .
Charlie

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:30 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Layers and Masks explained

Charlie I think you are 'sandbaggin' on us!

I know it will work out for you

You crack me up buddy

Karl

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:54 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Layers and Masks explained

because I'm out of Scotch In that case don't invite me over Tempt me with scotch and I may give personal lessons

Tim

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:56 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Layers and Masks explained

Thanx Tim, but my thick skull, (and it is getting thicker with age... ), still doesn't see the need for layers. I don't do much pp, and using layers seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Feel free to try and convince me that I'm wrong - it shouldn't be too hard...

Ron

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:19 AM
beetlefang
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Layers and Masks explained

Thanks for the tutorial...tagging for future reference.

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:29 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Layers and Masks explained

Thanks Tim! You explained it so that even I could understand
David

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:12 AM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Layers and Masks explained

Tim, a very well written tutorial you present here.
Thanks for taking the time. It's good to see you teach.
Chris

Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:55 PM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Layers and Masks explained

surfnron wrote:
Thanx Tim, but my thick skull, (and it is getting thicker with age... ), still doesn't see the need for layers. I don't do much pp, and using layers seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Feel free to try and convince me that I'm wrong - it shouldn't be too hard...

Ron

I just don't understand why you wouldnt use a layer if you are going to do any editing? Its little more work (Ctrl-J, thats it) and so many more options are available, its completely adjustable and erasable. You can also easily see the effects of just the one operation by toggling the eye.
You just flatten everything when your done or if not done you can save the file and come back and do more to the open layers, then flatten.

Think of it this way: If a surgeon is doing an operation like a gall bladder removal he might want to keep that file separate from the appendictimy he did on the same person, its just easier and more organized that way.
Maybe not the best of analogys.

Thanks Tim for taking the time to write this up. Happy new year all

Paul

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:27 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Layers and Masks explained

You have condensed down in a few screen shots accompanied by clear , concise explanation what I personally have read many things about and never seen it presented so succinctly . Thank you Tim, this helps a post dummy like me very much.

Birdie

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:13 PM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Layers and Masks explained

And a question for you FMers.
Whats the procedure to check blown whites in CS5, not ACR?

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:28 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password